Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am looking to trade in my SXT in the next year or so for something with a bit more power. I am considering either a new RT or a slightly used scat pack.

I've heard that the cost of repairs, parts and insurance are considerably higher with the scat pack vs. the RT. I am hoping some people with experience with either car can give me a better idea of what to expect in terms of maintenance and insurance cost for both cars.

Thank you

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,689 Posts
Hello everyone, I am looking to trade in my SXT in the next year or so for something with a bit more power. I am considering either a new RT or a slightly used scat pack.

I've heard that the cost of repairs, parts and insurance are considerably higher with the scat pack vs. the RT. I am hoping some people with experience with either car can give me a better idea of what to expect in terms of maintenance and insurance cost for both cars.

Thank you
Well maintenance should be about the same. Gas will be less mpg. The last few tanks with the Scat I got about 2 mpg less than I averaged with the R/T. I did take a pretty good hit with insurance though. But i am new to the company so it might come down next renewal. But you should really check on that.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
R/T to SRT not a very large hit. However SRT to Hellcat is another story. All the comments above are true. Bad Grand Pa said it best. You've gotten good advice. I purchased my R/Ts knowing I was going to get an increase in the Premiums. I wanted them so the cost of insurance was of little consequence to me. You on the other hand are maybe on a budget. Check.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,689 Posts
Yeah I went from a 2010 R/T to a 2016 Scat so there was a big difference in the value of the car so I am sure that was a lot of the difference.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Went from a 6 speed 2011 R/T to an A8 2018 sps. Insurance was almost the same and I didn’t really notice much difference in mpg. Like someone said already, get a vin off the car you’re looking at or one similar and use it to get an insurance quote.

Reactions: Hajo and Camuleus

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,578 Posts
My insurance went down $20 a month on the 2018 R/T over the 2010 camaro SS we had, I would imagine the scat pack will be a bit higher but I wouldnt think much. Bigger motor obviously drinks a little more gas.

"Dont live to work, work to live"

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I went from a 2010 R/T to 2015 Scat Pack. Insurance change was next to nothing. The 6.4L is worse on gas, but not horrible. It requires synthetic oil. If you can swing the Scat Pack go for it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've had both and the oil changes are less frequent on the 6.4, but more expensive, my gas mileage went from (Driving the way I want to, not like I should for max economy) 15.5-16 in my R/T to about 14.0 in my Scatpack. My commute went from about 14 miles each way to about 3 miles each way, so gas bought it actually much less. I had a wreck that was my fault in my R/T not long before I traded it and my insurance took a hit and went up about $250 a half when I got the new car. Well worth it, IMHO.

Reactions: Dodgeguy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts