Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
I was actually referring to the new drive shaft, installed.
It is the new driveshaft install in that thread pg 12 Post # 230

Edit: I posted it below. Ry

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
NOTE INFORMATION: This is for 2015 and newer Challenger 1 piece 4" Aluminum Driveshaft, In my bolt packages from the DSS there were some extra stuff, a C ring, a C clip, and 2 hose band clamps, disregard those they are extra stuff that came in the packages, all you need are the bolts and the 2 bolt connect washers. The bolts are 8mm HEX Key (AKA Allen Head), and the torque value is 57 ft.lbs.

Picture Below, New 4" Aluminum Driveshaft.

Picture Below New Compared to Failed Stock OEM.

Picture Below Transmission End of Driveshaft install it into the transmission output shaft first.

Picture below is where that CV Gap measurement should be taken on the clear surface, not the washers or bolts.

Picture below is measuring gap distance, mine was 3 5/8".

Regarding the 3 pictures above you'll see I replaced the stock heat shielding which was about a 1/2" layer of some type of fiberglass matting, which on my 2015 was literally falling out from under the car, I cut it just past the transmission output shaft removed the rear of it and used design engineering adhesive backed heat shield which is the black that you see. I used the front of the self adhesive heat shield to actually hold up the old matting that was falling down.
Picture below is the rear of the differential in the differential mounting hub the Indents on the hub need to be at 6 and 12 oclock, if not you will not get it to go in without damaging the CV joints, there is just enough clearance to go in if the indents are properly aligned, at 6 and 12.

Picture below is the driveshaft in place showing the clearance of the Center Carrier Bearing support mounts.

The picture above clearly shows the driveshaft connection from transmission to differential is offset or else the driveshaft would be centered between those mounting points. Also the rear heat shield should be removed and replaced with self adhesive heat shield material, mine was touching the driveshaft and I had to pull it out after the fact which was extremely difficult to do. Take care of that before you mount the driveshaft.

Reactions: CaptScat345

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
The Mopar driveshaft is designed to accommodate the offset, obviously.

Question... Does the OEM driveshaft swivel at three points vs two points on the aftermarket shaft?

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The Mopar driveshaft is designed to accommodate the offset, obviously.

Question... Does the OEM driveshaft swivel at three points vs two points on the aftermarket shaft?
The OEM 2 piece driveshaft has 3 CV joints there is a CV joint at the carrier support bearing , so yes it swivels at 3 points.

Reactions: 68Coronet

·
Banned
1,181 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
@68Coronet, Aluminum or Carbon Fiber is your choice, just be careful where you get it from.
Note: If your year Challenger requires adapter plates, the driveshaft should be balanced with those plates on the driveshaft at the time of balancing and shipped to you exactly as it was balanced. Which means if you have to take the plate off to mount it, every bolt is to go back exactly where it was when you got the driveshaft in your possession.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
@68Coronet, Aluminum or Carbon Fiber is your choice, just be careful where you get it from.
Note: If your year Challenger requires adapter plates, the driveshaft should be balanced with those plates on the driveshaft at the time of balancing and shipped to you exactly as it was balanced. Which means if you have to take the plate off to mount it, every bolt is to go back exactly where it was when you got the driveshaft in your possession.
It looks like the a 2015+ shaft comes with spacer plates that you mentioned. I can't do anything until my car is out of warranty, of course, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
It looks like the a 2015+ shaft comes with spacer plates that you mentioned. I can't do anything until my car is out of warranty, of course, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.
No the 2015 does not require spacer plates those are for 2009 ~ 2014 years, and are specific to how many transmission bolts are on the exact year 3 bolt, 4 bolt etc.. Spacer plates have been eliminated from 2015+ years. What model, engine, transmission, and year is your Challenger?

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
No the 2015 does not require spacer plates those are for 2009 ~ 2014 years, and are specific to how many transmission bolts are on the exact year 3 bolt, 4 bolt etc.. Spacer plates have been eliminated from 2015+ years. What model, engine, transmission, and year is your Challenger?
348 - A8 - 2020. I'll just stick with the OEM shaft. I'm not racing it, so there's no point in replacing.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
348 - A8 - 2020. I'll just stick with the OEM shaft. I'm not racing it, so there's no point in replacing.
Yours is new and under full warranty, upgrading of any kind should be your last consideration, drive and enjoy and be safe out there. Ry

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Yours is new and under full warranty, upgrading of any kind should be your last consideration, drive and enjoy and be safe out there. Ry
I love having a new ride, but I also enjoy making changes here and there. Once the warranty is up, it's open season! I'm thinking Gen III 426 HEMI crate engine, if one can be had?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
895 Posts
I love having a new ride, but I also enjoy making changes here and there. Once the warranty is up, it's open season! I'm thinking Gen III 426 HEMI crate engine, if one can be had?
Get it now and put it away. They do sell other versions too, that is just their "BEST" one.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
My uncle Bob uses a CF driveshaft, along with a differential brace on his HC.
Your uncle Bob, is a wise man!
I'd been thinking about the differential brace myself, but it probably is way overkill for my horsepower level. Unfortunately, I thought the same thing with my OEM driveshaft, seeing as how it was also in the 392 Scat Pack level of power handling. And it failed, so maybe I'd better give the differential brace another look.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
That is a horrible catastrophe, I hope he heals up well, because I know he will be back out there as most racers at his level of determination will not quit. Sorry to hear regarding his wife, I'm praying for his recovery, but also, that he will be able to care for his daughter. Sometimes life makes you do a double take and consider what is most important and, IMO, it is not beefing up the car.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts