Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am at a crossroad and wanted to get a few opinions. I love my 2015 B5 Blue Shaker RT Plus SPAG. There is only one thing that is nagging me. Should I upgrade to a Scat Pack Shaker for the 6.4 485 HP or should I start doing engine mods on my current ride? She just turned 20K miles yesterday and while I have done a few cosmetic upgrades but have held off on performance upgrades till I figure out which direction I want to go. I would be happy with about 450 to 500 HP...Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Really it depends on what you can do financially and if that is worth it to you. If it puts you upside down in a loan I would say hold off. But if you don't care about that and just wanna feel the need, the need for speed without modding you could do the trade. Or you could just throw a blower on the 5.7L. So for me it would come down to what makes the most sense financially.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
To get to the HP you are looking for you will need to supercharge your 5.7. I was in the same place you are 3 years ago. Do not fall for the CAI and exhaust mods can get me there trap. Been there...done that. Cam changing with the other 2 will get you close but for the money it will cost you and the other things like PCM change out and tuning you still will be a bit behind most likely the 485 mark without a supercharger. Supercharging also requires things like upgraded fuel pump and injectors not to mention a VERY good tune if you want to keep your engine in one piece. Of course any warranty you have left goes by by. Expect to pay 10 grand minimum to do supercharging right. The problem then becomes you now have as good has or better HP has a Scat Pack without the better suspension...rear-end...brakes and transmission up grades you get with the Scat. You also won't have a brand new car with an intact brand new warranty. JMO but I took the new Scat route and even though I loved my old RT...three years later I feel I did the right thing for me.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
54,846 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Agree with Friendoffur 100%, it is a more logical financial choice if you want to get to 485 immediately.

If however you are ok with the incremental approach and 485 truly is your goal, you can upgrade your 5.7 in stages and stagger those costs over time instead of throwing away what you have invested in your RT. That is the approach that I am using.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from AZ.
Thanks .... I've been reading the post for a while but didn't join until recently ... glad to be here.
To get to the HP you are looking for you will need to supercharge your 5.7. I was in the same place you are 3 years ago. Do not fall for the CAI and exhaust mods can get me there trap. Been there...done that. Cam changing with the other 2 will get you close but for the money it will cost you and the other things like PCM change out and tuning you still will be a bit behind most likely the 485 mark without a supercharger. Supercharging also requires things like upgraded fuel pump and injectors not to mention a VERY good tune if you want to keep your engine in one piece. Of course any warranty you have left goes by by. Expect to pay 10 grand minimum to do supercharging right. The problem then becomes you now have as good has or better HP has a Scat Pack without the better suspension...rear-end...brakes and transmission up grades you get with the Scat. You also won't have a brand new car with an intact brand new warranty. JMO but I took the new Scat route and even though I loved my old RT...three years later I feel I did the right thing for me.
I appreciate the feedback from all, thank you. I was thinking about 7K or so to supercharge but I didn't think about also having to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors as well pushing easily to 10K like you mentioned and still missing out on some other upgrades such as brakes, tranny, etc. Think I will be upgrading to a B5 or PCP Scat Shaker in the near future, Once again I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks .... I've been reading the post for a while but didn't join until recently ... glad to be here.

I appreciate the feedback from all, thank you. I was thinking about 7K or so to supercharge but I didn't think about also having to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors as well pushing easily to 10K like you mentioned and still missing out on some other upgrades such as brakes, tranny, etc. Think I will be upgrading to a B5 or PCP Scat Shaker in the near future, Once again I appreciate everyone's input.
It might not be the same power level as a 392, but a cam, full exhaust and a good tune will make your 5.7 a LOT more fun to drive. Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts