Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Billet Silver Metallic
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    hey all, I'm super new to this,, basically I want to give my Challenger as much power as i can get from a engine... I have a 2009 challenger R/T with a 5.7 right now, with a 6 speed.. is it possible to be able to swap it with the newer 392 6.4L ? Or at least and 6.4L engine for that matter?

2. 70barcuda

70barcuda Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 Core SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Yes you should be able to do that swap without too much problem as they will both bolt up to your transmission. You would probably have to swap out the wiring harness and PCM to make it work though. Depending on what your long term power goals are you might be better off just looking for a used 392 powered car, if you buy a new crate motor you are looking at 7-8K plus various parts needed for the swap and either paying someone to do the swap or investing your own time into it. But to answer your initial question yep you can swap it in. If you want as much power as possible though you might want to go with a stroker motor and build say a 426 or some other forged combo and super charge it, lot's of options with builds for these cars.

nathan bienvenu likes this.
  3. nathan bienvenu

nathan bienvenu New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Billet Silver Metallic
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Yeah, I was leaning towards the supercharged option, I got my car for a steal so money put in it is no issue, but I wanted to see what was better option (either stroker kit or putting a 6.4 L)

70barcuda likes this.
  4. 70barcuda

70barcuda Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 Core SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Both are good options but I think I'd try to decide what power level you want and then figure the best way to get there. Hopefully a few guy's that have done each will chime in with their experiences. I'd also recommend talking to the guy's at one of the shops that sell and install both combo's they may be able to give some great advice given the amount of builds they have done. HHP, Arrington's and OST dyno are some of the bigger and better known shops any of which should be able to help with everything from stroker kit's to complete motors.

One note if you go with a 392 Hemi and you are thinking of super charging it I would strongly recommend forging the internals. The 392 has a forged crank but the rods and pistons aren't and it seems it doesn't take a lot of boost to cause chunks of piston to cut loose. This is a more prevalent problem on the 392 than on the 6.1 or 5.7 and is generally thought to be due to the location of the piston rings too close to the top of the piston. There's lot's of info out there on this condition and a little googling should gain you a good bit of info as to cause, effect and potential remedies.

Hajo likes this.
  5. wvhemis

wvhemis Well-Known Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Just my opinion but you would be better off using your current engine to build the 6.4. Check out HHP (supporting Vendor on this site) or Arrington (Shop HEMI.com) another supporting Vendor. Both can build you a 392/410 stroker plus you will get a forged engine so if down the road you do want to do the supercharger you will be ready for it. The only to consider is if you are really going to put the boost to it you will want the 9.5 slugs from the start.

Hajo, 70barcuda and nathan bienvenu like this.
  6. nathan bienvenu

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Billet Silver Metallic
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    So something like this? And aren't slugs a suspension like a-arm? IMG_0321.PNG

7. nathan bienvenu

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Billet Silver Metallic
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hell, I could even get this, trade in my other engine for credit for new one, since it's a crate engine I'm sure 99%of what I need for an engine are already in it IMG_0323.PNG