Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,

Has anyone tried the both V6 with 5 speed and 8 speed? I hear the 8 speed is much better in fuel eco but the 5 is better in performance.

Any feeds on the myth? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Of course I mean the 5 speed auto transmission vs the 8 speed auto transmission, specially that the new 2015 is coming with the 8 gears.

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Don't know in person but from what I've read from the Charger guys...the 8-speed with the six is faster.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,616 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi every one,

Has anyone tried the both V6 with 5 speed and 8 speed? I hear the 8 speed is much better in fuel eco but the 5 is better in performance.

Any feeds on the myth? :4-dontknow:
Since the A8 is not yet available in the Challenger, one can only took to improvements in the Charger when adding the A8. According to AllPar.com, the Pentastar V6 dropped from around 7.7 seconds (0-60) to 6.6 seconds. All other things being equal. That is rather impressive.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The Challenger SXT equipped with the 3.07 rear is running the same time as the 8 speed from 0 to 60. The advantage to the 8 speed is lower RPM's on the highway. 0 to 60 time is approximately 6.3 sec.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I traded my 2011 V6 with the 5 speed in for the 2015 V6 with the 8 speed. I must say that the new 8 speed feels far faster and shifts a lot harder than the 5 speed. then when I press the sport button and gun it the engine comes to life. Love this new transmission

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Im surprised that it shifts harder, I have a 2014 with the five speed and it shifts very firm. With the paddle shifter its actually to hard, really don't like it.
They must have backed off on the torque management in the later models.
I had a 2011 and it shifted very soft.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
The 8 speed in my wife's 300 is awesome, very fast to me! The 3.6L makes most of it's power higher up in the RPM band and the 8 speed is much better at keeping the engine up in that RPM range so I could see how it would be faster.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually my Challenger is a 2012 v6 with a mopar cai and catback and it runs 0 - 60 in 6.5 sec, don't think the new ones can beat that
I need to try it my self to judge on the new gears.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wish i had the 8spd, not sure how plausible it would be to have a 5spd replaced with the 8.

·
Premium Member
12,528 Posts
0 to 60 in the SRT Jeep is the same 5 speed to 8 speed

·
Registered
29 Posts
from my experience the 8 speed definitely feels stronger and just pushes the car forward. to me the 5 speed was just ok. I would suggest test driving a new 2015 with the 8 speed to know what I mean

·
Registered
15 Posts
2014 Chellenger Ralle Redline V6 5sp auto 3.05 rear, w/K&N air filter and inTune DCX (i-1000-DCX) 91 octane tune. Best 0-60 is 6.4.
Would like to change the exhaust but I don't know what would be legal in California.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I get consistent 6.4 second runs in my bone stock 2015 SXT. I had one at 6.2 but haven't been able to repeat that.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts