Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned scat before and a HC. Just received 17 scat/Shaker. Just took it out for a 5 mile run and when pulling it on driveway, boil over, squish,drip,pool! The tank behind the air filter is boiling and underneath is spewing. I mean c'mon Dodge. My HC was overheating when new and I remember pushing in a connector that I read on forums and it worked. What is this now, thermostat? After it rested for 20 min I pulled it back 5 ft and boiled over again! C'mon this is a virgin! Now I gotta go back to dealer which I hate because sorry they're just not careful.
Resized_20170618_152729(1)_2.jpg
Resized_20170618_152655.jpg
20170618_154748.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there something I can do like change thermostat or is it just not worth it or easy anymore?

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
Changing the TStat is super easy, but I don't think that is your issue. I am now on HEMI's 6 & 7 and I have never had that issue. You have a new car gremlin no doubt....

Reactions: Gila Hemi and nunya

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why don't you think it's the thermostat? Wouldn't that cause this problem if it didn't open?

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Regardless of what it is I would take it right back to the dealer, and everybody would know I was there. It is brand new, and it is on them. But I personally would be more interested in documentation of any incident that god forbid, might return, or even get worse.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is very true but I think from when I was younger this problem is limited to what it could be like a thermostat. I'd rather change it myself if we think this is what it could be rather than having the dealer take off the Shaker and just not be careful. I'm sorry I just don't trust them. But if I have to I will.

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
I understand completely. My need for documentation comes from my distrustful side!! If you have access to temp sensor gun, do some readings at various places and see if you find abnormal temp readings that might point to thermostat. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody - Triple Nickel
68 Posts
I can relate to your mechanic anxiety however there good ones out there as well as bad ones. One thing to consider is that if anyone except a dealer lays a wrench on your car at this point it might have negative consequences in regards to your warranty. It does sound like a thermostat but there could be other issues and like it or not the mechanics at your local dealer are the experts as far as your 2017 goes. My concern is how hot did that engine get? Did you check your heat gauge and how far away is your dealer? If its more that just a few blocks I would call them and politely explain the issue and ask if you should drive it in? They may want to send a truck for it. If they tell you it's OK to drive it in be sure to document who told you to. The actual problem would not concern me so much as potential harm to that new engine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What was you coolent temp? Was it over half of the gage? Is so you have an overheating issue. However This may be an overservicing issue with the coolent tank. When I took delivery of my 2016 scat last year, the coolent level was well below the add full line on the coolent tank. When i told the technician that the coolent appeared to be very low. He told me that it was just fine. If he were to add coolent to the tank it would overflow when the engine coolent got to temp. After the explanation I agreed not to add coolent. Since then I have put over 13k miles on the car with no coolent or over heating issues. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was you coolent temp? Was it over half of the gage? Is so you have an overheating issue. However This may be an overservicing issue with the coolent tank. When I took delivery of my 2016 scat last year, the coolent level was well below the add full line on the coolent tank. When i told the technician that the coolent appeared to be very low. He told me that it was just fine. If he were to add coolent to the tank it would overflow when the engine coolent got to temp. After the explanation I agreed not to add coolent. Since then I have put over 13k miles on the car with no coolent or over heating issues. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry I'm not quite sure what your saying, are you saying you had the same issue?

·
Business
20,595 Posts
I'd take it back to the dealer. Get out at the service writer. Walk around your car taking pictures and explain your concerns to him. He will get the word to the mechanic. When your car comes back from service go over it with a fine toothed comb. Find anything wrong and make them fix it right then!

·
Registered
136 Posts
No. I was just pointing out that your coolant tank may have been over serviced from the factory or dealer and you may not be having an over heating issue. If the coolent tank is over serviced with coolant, the coolant will overflow from your tank when the engine gets hot.
When I took delivery of my car, I noticed the coolent level in the tank was much lower than the fill line marked on the tank. I was concerned that the engine would over heat with the coolent level so low. I thought that the dealer should add more coolant to the tank to bring the level up. The technician explained that the coolant system is a closed system. As the engine gets hot, the coolant is routed back to the tank. If he would add more coolant to the tank as I requested. The coolant would overflow out of the tank. This sounds like the issue you are are seeing with coolent overflowing from your tank.
After the technicians explanation. I chose not to have the dealer add coolant as I originally requested. Since then and over 13k miles, I have had not had any over heating issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jeff, I am not suggesting you do not take the car to the dealer to have the coolent system checked out. I would take it back and have it looked at. I was just stating from my experience. It appears to be an overservicing issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. I was just pointing out that your coolant tank may have been over serviced from the factory or dealer and you may not be having an over heating issue. If the coolent tank is over serviced with coolant, the coolant will overflow from your tank when the engine gets hot.
When I took delivery of my car, I noticed the coolent level in the tank was much lower than the fill line marked on the tank. I was concerned that the engine would over heat with the coolent level so low. I thought that the dealer should add more coolant to the tank to bring the level up. The technician explained that the coolant system is a closed system. As the engine gets hot, the coolant is routed back to the tank. If he would add more coolant to the tank as I requested. The coolant would overflow out of the tank. This sounds like the issue you are are seeing with coolent overflowing from your tank.
After the technicians explanation. I chose not to have the dealer add coolant as I originally requested. Since then and over 13k miles, I have had not had any over heating issues.
Oh ok. But mine was a real boil can can hear it. It must be the fan not working

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2016 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,094 Posts
NO messing around with it, TAKE IT BACK!!! They wouldn't want to do this to a woman Challenger owner. This is brand new for heaven's sake. Expensive car.

Reactions: baggerjack

·
Now that was dumb!
6,003 Posts
There is no other decision then to take the car back to the Dealer. The car is under warranty. As someone stated above anything you do on your own may complicate matters with your warranty. Document this. Document your calls with the Dealership Service Department. You've purchased a new car that is expected to work perfectly. Leave a paper trail so that if this is an ongoing problem you have definite proof that can't be denied. Go so far as to document what the Dealership and Service Department tells you. Protect yourself in all cases. You've spent a lot of money protect it!

That being said it probably is something simple. Good Luck!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jeff, I am not suggesting you do not take the car to the dealer to have the coolent system checked out. I would take it back and have it looked at. I was just stating from my experience. It appears to be an overservicing issue.
"Overservicing" On a new car with 50 miles? What service has been performed on it yet? I don't understand what you are saying; the car should be in factory condition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As soon as I go home today I'm going to pull it out run it and see if the fan kicks in. I think this might be the problem.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
As soon as I go home today I'm going to pull it out run it and see if the fan kicks in. I think this might be the problem.
After reading this thread that was my first thought. Even if the fuse for the fan is blown and you replace it, I think you should still take it in to the dealer to have them diagnose the problem and fix it. Electrical gremlins on these cars aren't a doiturself fix in my garage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts