Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6.1L engine rebuild - Specs and mod discussion

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  climberccm 
#1 ·
Hey guys new member here. I've read so many posts here that I figured I join up to see if you guys can help me piece together an awesome build.

I have a 13k budget for this build and I think I have most of it picked out, but I'm having difficulty tracking down some stock specs. I'm trying to build a NA engine that can hit mid 500s maybe more if it goes well and eventually add a supercharger. I spun a rod bearing so instead of just a new crankshaft and pistons I'm going with a stroker block from HHP!

My build is creeping up in price, so I'm trying to shave down some parts to stay within budget. My first question is how much HP can the stock clutch take? I was going to go with a stage 2 RAM clutch but I can save 600 bucks going with an OEM clutch but I am concerned with it not being able to handle the extra power. I see that the tremec is good for 700 lb-ft. of torque so I'm not worried about transmission.

The other question I can't seem to find a good answer for is, what tuner to go with. I'll call the nearest dyno tuner, but I can't seem to find a cobb or HP tuner that is compatible with an 09 challenger. I don't know too much about diablo tuners either. Will I be able to get the most out of my engine with a diablo tuner?

Parts list so far:
HHP 426 stroker block
400cc injectors
HHP recommended camshaft, springs, and push rods
high volume/pressure oil pump

Parts I want to fit in the budget:
Port and polished cylinder heads
Long tube headers
392 ported intake

See less See more
#4 ·
Here's my 2 cents worth.
Diablo is the answer.
The HHP folks are very knowledgeable about our platforms.
I'd refer to their experience in such matters.
I'm one of many satisfied HHP customers.

You might save a buck or two if you put off for ported and polished items until later.;)
HHP certainly knows HEMIs! I'll give them another call to see about the clutch. ported heads would be sweet though haha

#3 ·
Just an FYI...I had a 2013 challenger SRT 392 that I stroked to 426. BJ at Hemituner Performance did the tuning. He also helped HHP develope their tunes. Not sure he still does. Anyway BJ recommended I change the 392 intake for a ported and polished 6.1 aluminum intake. Car made another 20+ HP when BJ Dyno tuned for it.

#5 ·
So I do have the aluminum 6.1L intake which I hear is pretty good as is, but I'll look into getting that ported. looks like BJ is in NY which is a bit far for me. I could do the diablo tuner but the closer dyno tuners don't have that listed as one of the tuners they work with. Does BJ work with diablo tuners or do I need something else?

#7 ·
The stock clutch is fine, it will hold what the transmission is capable of. I personally think it is better than aftermarket ones. I made hundreds of passes and mine was still like new when removed. Anyone who tunes with Diablo can do just as much with your tune as HP, it’s just what the tuner prefers. The 6.1 intake is fine stock, save the port and polish money. Better talk to Bruce at HHP too about that cam, a NA cam and a supercharger cam are two different animals, you need to decide what you are going to do. Hopefully if you get a supercharger in the future it will be a PD type, so you will be removing the intake anyway.

#8 ·
I have heard good things about the diablo tuner. none of the local dyno shops use them though. do you know any good email tuning companies that I can use?

HHP picked out the NA cam and that's easy enough to swap out if I do ever get around to the supercharger setup. Thanks for the advise on the 6.1 intake I'll put that on the back burner

#10 ·
Hey guys new member here. I've read so many posts here that I figured I join up to see if you guys can help me piece together an awesome build.

I have a 13k budget for this build and I think I have most of it picked out, but I'm having difficulty tracking down some stock specs. I'm trying to build a NA engine that can hit mid 500s maybe more if it goes well and eventually add a supercharger. I spun a rod bearing so instead of just a new crankshaft and pistons I'm going with a stroker block from HHP!

My build is creeping up in price, so I'm trying to shave down some parts to stay within budget. My first question is how much HP can the stock clutch take? I was going to go with a stage 2 RAM clutch but I can save 600 bucks going with an OEM clutch but I am concerned with it not being able to handle the extra power. I see that the tremec is good for 700 lb-ft. of torque so I'm not worried about transmission.

The other question I can't seem to find a good answer for is, what tuner to go with. I'll call the nearest dyno tuner, but I can't seem to find a cobb or HP tuner that is compatible with an 09 challenger. I don't know too much about diablo tuners either. Will I be able to get the most out of my engine with a diablo tuner?

Parts list so far:
HHP 426 stroker block
400cc injectors
HHP recommended camshaft, springs, and push rods
high volume/pressure oil pump

Parts I want to fit in the budget:
Port and polished cylinder heads
Long tube headers
392 ported intake
Here’s my build:
PWR Stage 2 Ported Intake Manifold
PWR 6.1L Mean Street Heads
PWR 228XL CAM
ERL 426 Short Block (11:1 CR)
Arrington 100MM TB
ATI Underdrive Pulley
MOPAR Cat-Back Exhaust
Tune by American High Performance
Kooks Headers & High Flow cats
NAG1 Conqueror Series Transmission by Paramount Performance
Dominator Series 3200 Stall Torque Converter by Paramount Performance
35 % Tint
Carbon Fiber Half Covers
Drake Tower Strut Brace
Drake Fuse Box Cover
Drake Power Steering Cover
ST Coilovers
Procharger HO Kit (4.5lbs of boost, 598 RWHP, 550RWTQ)
MECHMAN 240 AMP Alternator
Fore Innovations Dual Pump Return Style Billet Fuel Hat With 2 Walbro 240lph Pumps
Hotchkiss Sway Bars Front and Rear
Oracle Surface Mount Halos. NA the car made 504 RWHP and 489 RWTQ. My sons Magnum with similar build but lower compression ratio (9.5 :1) made 450 RWHP 444 RWTQ. I recommend you make your decision now on cam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.