Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 593 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process as of right now.
Stroking 6.4L out to 7.0 (426CI), Using all racing parts from Manley which is the next step below funny car or top fuel parts.Some Comp Cams.
Crank- Manley 4340 Forged "Pro Series" 4.05 Stroke.
Pistons- Manley Platinum Series
Connecting Rods- Manley 'Pro Series" I-Beam
Rings- Total Seal
Rocker Arms-Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum
Cam Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller, Specs,RPM range 2400-7400 Duration intake=274 Exhaust=287,@.50" in.226 ex.234, valve lift=in.619ex.612 Lobe sep. Angle 116 degrees
Cam- Comp Cams-Roller Elite Race Roller Lifters
Valve Springs- Manley "Nextek Series Drag Race
Push Rods- Manley- 4130 Chromoly
Valves-Manley "Race Master" Stainless Steel
Timing Chain- Manley "Billet" Double Roller, Delete VVT
Harmonic Balancer ATI SFI approved Super Damper
Oil pump- Manley Pro Flow
ARP Fasterners throughout
Fel Pro Gaskets throughout
Port and Polish stock heads
Mcleod RXT 1000HP RXT street twin clutch kit
Set up fuel system for E-85 plus new fuel injectors
Willl be running 3 fuels pumps also.
Already Have:::
Procharger SuperCharger
American Racing Headers
Magnaflow 3" SS Peformance exhaust system
3" Electric cutouts, 1000hp Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, 1400hp rear axles
Should make over 1000hp Crank something like 870 to rear wheels, so the speed shop says. I'll wait for the dyno readings. Should be ready sometime in the winter which will dedicate it to my garage anyway. Well thats all I can think about right now. I think I covered it all.

·
12,994 Posts
That sounds awesome!! Good luck.

Reactions: expresscruiser

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
That's a helluva build you have going there!
Just curious: are you going to be running retail (pump) E85 or is there a distributor that you can get blended anhydrous E85 for your application.
I was just wondering about the winter temps in NY and the E85 reduced ethanol content to about 72% in the winter blend.......I guess if you store your car in winter it's probably a non issue, otherwise you may have to have a 'winter tune' and a 'summer tune'.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I honestly haven't thought about that. I have a gas station right down the block that has pump E-85. According to the speed shop I won't be limited to running E-85 but could run 93 or Sunoco 100 octane which I have in the tank now that I stabilized so it won't go bad during the build. Only thing is that Sunoco 100 octane here on Long Island, NY is $9.39 a gallon. I'll have to check with the speed shop, but you brought up a good point. Thanks for the response. I have never used E-85 in my cars before because none were ever set up for it. The price of E-85 here last time I looked was $2.89 a gallon. Thats about $ 2.00 a gallon cheaper than 93. I'm going down to the speed shop on Monday for my weekly visit. I will ask them about it and post what they say to help anyone else considering running E-85.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds awesome!! Good luck.
Thank you. I will keep posting as the progress goes on with the build. The Speed shop does excellent work but is always so busy. There are always at least 10 cars in the shop being worked on. Plus customers are coming in now that the summer is over and they want things done to their cars.
The engine was sent out to his engine builder that is suppose to be great. Specializing in building racing engines. This is my little toy and I want it just right.
Right now my Challenger sits in my garage minus engine, tranny, driveshaft. It gives me a chance to keep waxing it and doing some other things. I will install the last of my Red/Blue magna clamps on all the hoses. It is a project in the works. I ordered my Supercharged 7.0 L decals to replace the 6.4 decals I put on the side of the hood scoops. Plus I ordered 2- 426 decals that I may put on the front fenders. I will see how it looks first and see where they would look the best. Its everyday I am tinkering with something on the car. If I put any more wax on it, it may slide out of the garage on its own, LOL.
Anyway thank you for the well wishing my friend.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you are going to drive it in NY are you sure it will pass emissions here? You might have to register it in Pa. or a State without an emissions check. Per a past post on the "Z" last year, in NY State changing stock Cats to aftermarket Cats is officially illegal. To use it as a track car no problem. Gotta love Coumo.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't pass anyway with the headers. My future Son-in-law is a Nassau County Police officer and according to him " any modification to the exhaust system other than stock is illegal.
They don't push the point though unless its very loud. With a tuner or chip its questionable if that is even legal. Sure the people that sell them say they are, but they want to make a sale. Why do we restore the stock program before we bring it in for service? Warranty? or because its a modification that isn't stock.
My car doesn't have to be emissions tested until next year. I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
I'm not getting any younger and my dream after having my 1969 Road Runner years back was to someday have another muscle car all worked out. I am in the position to do so. I am going for it. It only comes out of the garage on Sundays for meets and shows. I bought a 2014 Dodge GT to use as my everyday car.
Every Sunday we have a meet. The County Police show up. The NYS Police show up, even the Bay Constable shows up. They leave us alone. You have to be respectful and not do burn outs in front of them. That would ruin it for everyone. We just like to have a place to meet and talk muscle car talk.
Anyway is my car legal? absolutly not, in the eyes of the law. Even out of the showroom I had to pay a $1000 gas guzzler tax which is actually a fine for not complying with the gas mileage quota's.

Reactions: christian74

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update to my 426 Stroker Build

Here is an update on my engine build. All the parts are in, except the pistons. Seems Manley doesn't have the Pistons for my engine so we are going with MAHLE Custom Made Dish pistons made out of 4032. No part number because they are a custom made piston.They should be ready this week or next. Than the build can start.
Also ordered the Fuel Kit to convert it to E-85. Also a 3 head electric fuel pump. So the engine won't stave for fuel at any time. The speed shop is figuring over 800Hp at the rear wheels and 1000+ at the crank. Will wait for the Dyno readings. The heads were ported and polished.So thats it so far. Will post more as soon as I know. So delete the Manley pistons from my list of parts.Have a nice week everyone.
Stroking 6.4L out to 7.0 (426CI), Using all racing parts from Manley which is the next step below funny car or top fuel parts.Some Comp Cams.
Crank- Manley 4340 Forged "Pro Series" 4.05 Stroke.
Pistons- Manley Platinum Series
Connecting Rods- Manley 'Pro Series" I-Beam
Rings- Total Seal
Rocker Arms-Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum
Cam Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller, Specs,RPM range 2400-7400 Duration intake=274 Exhaust=287,@.50" in.226 ex.234, valve lift=in.619ex.612 Lobe sep. Angle 116 degrees
Cam- Comp Cams-Roller Elite Race Roller Lifters
Valve Springs- Manley "Nextek Series Drag Race
Push Rods- Manley- 4130 Chromoly
Valves-Manley "Race Master" Stainless Steel
Timing Chain- Manley "Billet" Double Roller, Delete VVT
Harmonic Balancer ATI SFI approved Super Damper
Oil pump- Manley Pro Flow
ARP Fasterners throughout
Fel Pro Gaskets throughout
Port and Polish stock heads
Mcleod RXT 1000HP RXT street twin clutch kit
Set up fuel system for E-85 plus new fuel injectors
Willl be running 3 fuels pumps also.
Already Have:::
Procharger SuperCharger
American Racing Headers
Magnaflow 3" SS Peformance exhaust system
3" Electric cutouts, 1000hp Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, 1400hp rear axles
Should make over 1000hp Crank something like 870 to rear wheels, so the speed shop says. I'll wait for the dyno readings. Should be ready sometime in the winter which will dedicate it to my garage anyway. Well thats all I can think about right now. I think I covered it all.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice!! Congrats on the build.
Thank you so much.
The next step is seeing is I am going to go for the Ford 9" rear. Only problem is I installed a 1000HP Drive Shaft Shop 4" Carbon Fiber Driveshaft and also their 1400HP axles which cost me $ 3000 in just parts. Only put 1500 miles on them.
If I go for the Ford 9" rear these parts will not fit. The speed shop is trying to sell them to another customer. I told him I would be happy to get $2000 back and go for the Ford Rear. We'll see what happens.
Thanks to all my friends on here and well wishers. I will keep everyone informed of the progress.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here is an update on my engine build.
The mahle custom pistions are still not in its 3 weeks today since we ordered them.
I am going with a driveshaft shop 9" rear, 33 spline wavetrac differential with motive 3.25 performance r&p gears and a forged aluminum pumpkin. Also new 1400 hp level 5 axles and new 1000+ hp 1 piece 4" carbon fiber driveshaft. This is due to the ones i have now won't fit the 9". We are also upgrading the procharger supercharger to a f1a so we can run 14 lbs of boost. I installed a ss radiator overflow canister in addition to the stock overflow one. I have the halon fire suppressor system ready to go in as soon as the engine is installed and i can find a place for it. I might have to make my own bracket. So that's the update as of 10/16/14.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
all the parts are in, except the pistons. Seems manley doesn't have the pistons for my engine so we are going with mahle custom made dish pistons made out of 4032. No part number because they are a custom made piston.they should be ready this week or next. Than the build can start.
Also ordered the fuel kit to convert it to e-85. Also a 3 head electric fuel pump. So the engine won't stave for fuel at any time. The speed shop is figuring over 800hp at the rear wheels and 1000+ at the crank. Will wait for the dyno readings. The heads were ported and polished.so thats it so far. Will post more as soon as i know. So delete the manley pistons from my list of parts.have a nice week everyone.
Stroking 6.4l out to 7.0 (426ci), using all racing parts from manley which is the next step below funny car or top fuel parts.some comp cams.
Crank- manley 4340 forged "pro series" 4.05 stroke.
Pistons- manley platinum series
connecting rods- manley 'pro series" i-beam
rings- total seal
rocker arms-comp cams ultra pro magnum
cam comp cams hydraulic roller, specs,rpm range 2400-7400 duration intake=274 exhaust=287,@.50" in.226 ex.234, valve lift=in.619ex.612 lobe sep. Angle 116 degrees
cam- comp cams-roller elite race roller lifters
valve springs- manley "nextek series drag race
push rods- manley- 4130 chromoly
valves-manley "race master" stainless steel
timing chain- manley "billet" double roller, delete vvt
harmonic balancer ati sfi approved super damper
oil pump- manley pro flow
arp fasterners throughout
fel pro gaskets throughout
port and polish stock heads
mcleod rxt 1000hp rxt street twin clutch kit
set up fuel system for e-85 plus new fuel injectors
willl be running 3 fuels pumps also.
Already have:::
Procharger supercharger
american racing headers
magnaflow 3" ss peformance exhaust system
3" electric cutouts, 1000hp carbon fiber driveshaft, 1400hp rear axles
should make over 1000hp crank something like 870 to rear wheels, so the speed shop says. I'll wait for the dyno readings. Should be ready sometime in the winter which will dedicate it to my garage anyway. Well thats all i can think about right now. I think i covered it all.
[/quote]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
430 Stroker Build 6.4 Modifications

Week 4 Today, and still no MAHLE Custom made Dish Racing Pistons. Which is holding up the whole build. I guess the estimate of me getting the car back all done for Thanksgiving is out the window. Oh well, there is always next spring.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Mahle piston order

This week it will be week #5 since we ordered the Mahle pistons for my 430 cubic inch stroker.
They are being custom made so I realize it's takes longer but 5 weeks? Come on give me a break. I am going down to the speed shop tomorrow morning and going to have them call Mahle to see what the hold up is.
Meanwhile I have been applying Wolfgang sealer to the paint and also Canauba wax. Plus apply some decals accents to the car. The interior is all shiny also.
Just trying to keep busy until they come to pick up the car to put the engine, tranny, driveshaft, and 9" rear in.
The Mcleoad cluthc is ordered and should be in this week. We have been in contact with ProCharger about upgrading the SuperCharger to the next Level so I can get 14 lbs of boost or more from it. They said wait 3 weeks because they are making a new bracket for it so that the air filter is right under the hood scoop on the right side. So thats the update for this week.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Mahle Pistons

The speed shop called Mahle and was told that all custom made pistons are on a 6-8 week backlog. So this means I won't get the car back until the spring which is just as well.
Meanwhile it sits in my garage covered, waxed to perfection. I need sunglasses to look at it or else I'll go blind, LOL.
They ordered the 9" rear from the DriveShaft Shop and also the 1400HP axles & the 4" 1 piece 1000+Hp Carbon Fiber Driveshaft. Also ordered is the Mcleod 1000Hp double disc clutch.
The E-85 Fuel components are in the shop waiting to get installed once the engine is built and they come to pick up the car. I found out where all the gas stations are around me to get the E-85 and one is right around the corner from me.
We are still waiting to order the larger Procharger SuperCharger because the company said they are changing the bracet or something so the air intake is the same as the one I have now which is right under my air scoop on the drivers side. So thats about it for this week. Have a good week all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
impresive build, looking forwards to seeing the dyno when its all done

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 392 to 430 engine build

Thank you Yellow Jacket. I can't wait either.

Here is the latest update:

We have now decided to go with Wiseco Forged Racing Pistons. As soon as they come in the build can start. Still waiting on the Ford 9" rear from DDS also the Carbon Fiber DriveShaft & Axles. The E85 Conversion Kit is in as well as the Mcleod 1000HP clutch.
I started to research where I can get the E85 Fuel. I found right around the corner has it at the Valero Station as well as many others in my County and Nassau County.
So thats all I know now. I think it's like we planned before, the car will be done for the spring. Just as well because once it snows and that nasty salt goes down, it stays covered in my garage.
It's suppose to dip into the 30's this weekend so its only a matter of time before that white stuff starts falling from the sky.

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
May I ask why you went with a Ford rear end? Mosier makes outstanding Mopar rear ends for the same money

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
May I ask why you went with a Ford rear end? Mosier makes outstanding Mopar rear ends for the same money
Sure you may ask.
I went with the DriveShaft Shop 9" Ford rear (as I think they call it) or maybe they just call it a 9" which was recommended by my speed shop.
I had called Wavetrac many months ago and asked them if I could use the WaveTrac differential in my Getrag Rear with U S Gears in the rear end. They said you could but said my rear end Getrag Pumpkin wouldn't take that much horsepower.
I mentioned Mosier to my speedshop and he feels that the DSS is the same or better. It's just his opinion I think. He calls it the Ford 9". All the companies claim to have the best one. It's a roll of the dice.
I just went with what the speed shop suggested and the engine builder.
It's all very confusing to me. I am from the old school when there weren't any computers. Than I could work on them, now I let the pros do it and go with their recommendations. I hope this answered your question. Feel free to ask more questions if you like. Have a great weekend buddy

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
6.4L SRT8 Performance Modifications.

Today I received GREAT news by way of a text message from my Speed Shop. The Wiseco Forged Racing Pistons are being shipped out Monday 11-17. This was the only parts holding up the engine build. I'll take a ride down there sometime next week.
Now they can start the process. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of work to be done so its not like a Top Fuel move where they rebuild an engine in 45 mins. The engine is only one piece of the puzzle, so to speak to the final build of my car.
I won't rehash everything, just look at my other posts to see what else is being added or done to my car. I'm still thinking the spring which is fine with me. The speed shop is always busy and always has plenty of cars they work on or are building. I'll keep posting when something gets done and keep all my friends here advised to the progress.
As a downer at 8:20am this morning I saw snow flurries. So here we go. Also it was 28 degrees at that time also.
Tomorrow morning I will bring the Dart to the weekly car meet. The amount of cars is getting smaller and smaller as the cars get ready to sleep for the winter. I figure I will go 2 more weeks and than go when spring arrives. It gets mighty cold right on the water with the wind always blowing. I usually stay 3 hours, lets see how long I can take it tomorrow. I go because I have met a lot of new friends there and enjoy seeing them every Sunday. Ok, time to go take out the thermos. Have a good week my friends.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
6.4L SRT8 Performance Modifications.

The Wiseco Forged Racing Pistons are at the engine builders and the 430 CI Stroker engine build has begun.
The DriveShaft Shop 9" Rear, Wavetrac Differential, 1400 Hp Axles & the 1000 HP 4" Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft are all at the speed shop also.
The E-85 Conversion Kit with bigger fuel injectors and bigger fuel rails are also at the speed shop. As well as the 3 head Racing fuel Pump.
The Mcleod Double Disc 1000 Hp Racing clutch is also there.
Just waiting on Procharger for the new developed bracket for the upgraded Supercharger so that the Air Filter is located right under the hood scoop instead of pointing forward and towards no where. The cooler air from the scoop will help it develop more HP instead of the filter just laying in the hot engine compartment.
Still looking at early spring for the completion. My Challenger would only sit in my garage anyway with winter less than a month away. I told the speed shop take their time, I'm not in a hurry.
So thats the lastest update. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I will post any updates on here as soon as I get them. "Stay thirsty my friends"

1 - 20 of 593 Posts