6.4L SRT8 Performance Modifications

Discussion in 'Challenger Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4L HEMI' started by expresscruiser, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Chuck7722

Chuck7722 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Thanks for the info with the new tune and I added new larger injectors, new custom fuel rails, ATI Over Driven 17%, I've gotten more RWHP 717.8 Torq is 699.7.

2. expresscruiser

expresscruiser Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Last week the speed shop was installing my Roll Bar. The were bolting it through the floor when I go there. It looks great sitting in the car. It's gloss black. It fits in the car very tight but was custom made so it fits.

I guess the next step they were going to do is the 5 point Camlock Harness. I'll stop down this week one day to see how far they got.

I may put some HellCat wheels on. Chris took them off his Hellcat and told me I could have them. If he does than I will be looking to put either 315's or 335's on he rear. Street legal slicks again.

superbird6bbl and friendoffur like this.
  3. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    The Roll Bar is all installed. The seats are back in the car. Today, (Monday, 12/05/16) they were installing the 5 point Cam Lock Harness.
    I ordered new Auto-meter gauges. The speed shop gets them cheaper than any place I checked out on the web.

These will replace the 3 gauges I had in the "A" Pillar Pod plus one on the dash. One gauge is a dual purpose one so it replaces 2. It will look neater without the one on the dash. I other way it looked to crowded.

Also replacing the MSD shift light with an Auto Meter one. They are all of the Phantom Series so everything will match. They have a white face so they match the OEM gauges.
    As soon as they are installed I will take new pictures of the interior with roll bar and gauges and post those pictures.

The next stop, hopefully next week will be to the Ceramic Pro shop to get Clay cleaned, Polished and than the Ceramic Coat applied. Also thinking of letting them do the interior also. Depends on the price. If too much I will do the interior in the spring myself. Just for the outside paint, glass, wheels and tires is $ 2000. A Lot of labor is involved. Plus I believe they give it 3-5 coats of the Ceramic sealer.

That's all for now. Have a great week everyone.

4. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Went down to the speed shop today.

The roll bar is installed, the 5 point cam lock Harness is installed. I also changed all my aftermarket gauges that were on the "A" pillar to Auto Meter gauges. I also, went with an Auto Meter Shift light too. The Auto Meter gauges replaced the Glow Shift ones I had, and the Auto Meter Shift light replaces the MSD Shift light.

They are all the Phantom II Series and match the OEM gauges very well. It also looks a lot neater than it was also.

My car is now at the Ceramic Pro Shop getting a Clay Cleaning, Polished and Coatings with the Ceramic Pro Coating. The interior is also being done. The speed shop will deliver it to my house either Friday or Monday. Ha Ha, just in time for snow.
    I will post new pictures when I can of the interior as well as the exterior.

LOOKING FOR NEW WIDER REAR WHEELS

While I am thinking about it I am looking at where I can get a pair of the SRT wheels in 20x11" if they are made. I want to put on 315 Drag Radials. The 305 Drag Radials I have on there now can't hold with the power I have and that's from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th. I like my chrome and black wheels that came with the car. I don't want to change them all but need fatter tires in the rear.

Does anyone know if and where I can get a pair.

My speed shop wants me to put 4 new Hellcat Wheels on the car but I am trying to hold down the price and also don't want the all black look. Again I like my wheels. So if anyone knows where I can get a pair please post it or message me.

I would like to wish everyone on the forum a very happy, safe and healthy Holiday. I hope you get all the gifts for your cars that you are hoping for. So enjoy the time with your family and friends.

Maybe Santa knows where I can get new back wheels for my car.

superbird6bbl likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I'd suggest a 17" wheel and tire combo. You could defiantly use more sidewall to flex and help you hook up. I've got 20x10 hellcat copies on my car now that work well for me, but are heavy. All the fast hellcats at the modern hemi day I was at last month where running 15 or 17" wheel combos. Mostly light weight welds....$$$

6. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Thank you for the suggestion. I will run that by my speed shop. Thanks again for your time and response.

7. Dchallenger13

Dchallenger13 Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    There is a company that can widen your factory wheels to whatever size you want. They can also narrow them if you are looking for skinnys up front for the track. They are called weldcraft wheels. I have seen them on a car like mine. The guy was running 315s.

expresscruiser likes this.
  8. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Thank you for the information I will look them up. I don't intend on racing it but I would like to stay in my lane when I get on it. I want to run 315s also. I really wanted 335s but the shop said they would stick out to much and look funny.

9. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Yesterday I ordered 4 High Gloss Black Hellcat look alike wheels. The fronts will be 20"X 9" wide. The rear will be 20" X 11".

On the front wheels I am going to mount my stock Goodyear Eagle F1 255/45ZR 20". These were the stock rear tires that came with my car and have less than 500 miles on them.
    On the rear wheels I am going to mount Nitto 315/35ZR 20" Street Legal Drag Radials.

I am going to sell my 4 Original SRT 20" wheels. The fronts have the original Goodyear Tires that came with the car and have less than 1800 Miles on them. The back wheels have Mickey Thompson 305/35R 20" street legal Drag Radials with less than 600 miles on them. I am going to use my Aluminum Center Caps and Chrome lug nuts which should look nice and offset the all Black wheels

The Nitto's should allow the car to hook up. The 305's can't handle the over 900 HP and spin in first second and 3rd gears. Another words it makes the car un-controllable when I get on it.

I want to Polish and apply a Ceramic Coating to the wheels before they get mounted which would be easier to do while they are laid flat and not on the car. Hopefully this will be done within the next week or two.

The Ceramic Pro Sealant that I had the Detail shop do on the entire exterior looks and works great. If there is any dust on the car it gets blown right off when you drive the car. Plus there is not one swirl mark left. Black shows everything so this was important to me.

So that's it as far as updates to this never ending project of mine.

Have a great weekend everyone.

superbird6bbl and friendoffur like this.
  10. superbird6bbl

superbird6bbl Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Deep Water Blue
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I thought that I spent a lot of money buying Nitto's, 87 mm throttle body and a 93 octane Programmer lol.

11. Redmanf1

Redmanf1 New Member

Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I can relate as with 791 RWHP it is difficult to get traction. That is also why I pulled the nitrous bottle. I can only imagine 150 HP on top of almost 800.

I am running the Weld Racing RT-S 17” wheels. I was running M&H racemasters 325/45/17 but went to Nitto’s all around. I wished the Nitto was taller like the M&H.

FRONT 17x7 Nitto N555 G2's 245/45/17's

REAR 17x10 Nitto NT555R Drag radial 315/35/17's

superbird6bbl likes this.
  12. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I brought my car on Tuesday. They are going to install the New wheels and tires, Install another shift light for me, Do an NYS inspection and basically get it all checked out for the coming spring weather. No hurry as today was only 24* F with the wind chill factor of 16*. I mounted the fire extinguisher on the Drake Roll Bar mount and also a ION 2 video camera.

It should be already to go next week sometime. Than I;ll take it out for a nice easy spin. I can't wait for this weather to break although the winter was mild. I however, like the warm weather.

By the way I did go with the high gloss black Hellcat wheels. I saw them on another Challenger and liked how they looked. It's very hard to just look in a catalog and imagine wheels on your car.

Dodgeguy, NEPA SCAT and Popssxt like this.
  13. Popssxt

Popssxt 15 R/T Scat Pack from Spokane WA Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Post some pics with the new wheels when you can!

14. the greek mopar man

the greek mopar man Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I spent almost 2 hours reading this entire thread. As i was reading it i was hoping for better news that didn't come for a long time. I met you at captree before you blew the engine. You were telling me what the speed shop did to your car back then and all I could think of in my head was, I hope he doesn't blow the engine!

You have to be one of the nicest people i ever met. When we were talking you gave me a flyer from the speed shop about a BBQ they were hosting soon. I know all the people that were involved with this mess that happened to you. I'm just happy it worked out for you at the end of the day. I'm sure your lady Edna had something to do with the nightmare being over for you. Ill stop by and say hi to you next time I come to captree. I know where you usually park so i know where to find you. Be safe buddy

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Bee Keeper 16 and OrangeCrush392 like this.
  15. 2timer

2timer New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    T/A 392
    Color?:
    Green Go
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Whoever is using 125% or 133% is wishful thinking. Most 485hp 392's dyno at 440 rwhp. Hellcat 707hp dyno at 630rwhp. Do the math. 440 rwhp times 1.1 is 484 hp. 630 rwhp times 1.12 is 706hp. So an accurate number is 10% being conservative or 12% being optimistic. 25-30% is not accurate and is wishful thinking. But........before anyone gets there feathers ruffled, the important numbers are rear wheel numbers and better yet. Track times. 730 rwhp is awesome number but in reality it is more like 800-825hp not 913.

16. 2timer

2timer New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    T/A 392
    Color?:
    Green Go
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    My magnacharger 5.7 has 470 rwhp I'm fine sayin it has @ 520 hp at the engine. Your math shows my car would have 587-611 hp at the crank..... no way

17. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    It's just numbers that's what my speed shop uses and so does the Dyno guy. Anyway I don't really care about the numbers others do. All I know is it's scary fast and now has Hellcat black wheels on it at 11" wide and runs 315 tires on it. The 305's wouldn't hold the power and would throw me right into the next lane. Ok so I have 730RWHP that's all that matters right now. I want to get it up to 800 RWHP over the winter. Why? Because I can. I have never raced the car and never will. To me it's only a toy. It comes out of the garage only on nice days and just has 4268 miles on it and only 1500 since the build. But your right in one respect. The track times are what matters. My car will never see the track. We don't have one where I live and won't travel over 3 hours to get to one. So with all that said I am very happy with it.

tripper1, jklotz10 and Bee Keeper 16 like this.
  18. Bee Keeper 16

Bee Keeper 16 Knight of the black asphalt. Site Supporter Level 2 Member Relations MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Well said.

expresscruiser likes this.
  19. Mopar forever

Mopar forever Active Member

Vehicle?:
    challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Hey expresscruiser did you ever get the mural painted on ur hood felt ? I think that I remember you saying that you were gonna get it done and I wanted to see :) I thought was AWSOME idea

20. expresscruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Yes I did. Sorry for the delay but I haven't been on here in many months. I'll see if I remember how to post a picture. 100_1413.jpg