Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WeLLLLLL... now I went and did it! I was installing my Hurst shifter and when I went to tighten the "shoulder bolt" [I think that's what its called I snapped off the threaded part in the OEM rod that the Hurst shifter attaches too. Now I'm guessing I can try and drill out the threaded piece I snapped off but If not does anyone know where I can buy the rod and the 2 shoulder bolts? I'm guessing this may be a dealer only item but thought I'd check here first. BTW - I did use a torque wrench and had it set to 15lbs... apparently I don't know what 15lbs should feel like and I over torqued the blot snapping it off.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Might be cheaper to just get a whole new assembly, then you have some extra spare parts as well. Check this site out, you can get the whole stock assembly for $39.

http://www.takeoffautoparts.com/challenger20082010.htm

Scroll down near the middle. If you had any parts that broke off of that, the new assembly would have them.

Otherwise you could call the dealer and see if they could figure out what parts you need.

Reactions: petriTL

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the responses... I was able to drill out the broken piece and run a tap through the hole cleaning up the threads. Now all I need is the "shoulder bolt". Thanx for the site too I may just do that and order the hole unit.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Good luck man!

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Might be cheaper to just get a whole new assembly, then you have some extra spare parts as well. Check this site out, you can get the whole stock assembly for $39.

http://www.takeoffautoparts.com/challenger20082010.htm

Scroll down near the middle. If you had any parts that broke off of that, the new assembly would have them.

Otherwise you could call the dealer and see if they could figure out what parts you need.
Carl, that is a nice link! Thanks for posting it!

Thanx for the responses... I was able to drill out the broken piece and run a tap through the hole cleaning up the threads. Now all I need is the "shoulder bolt". Thanx for the site too I may just do that and order the hole unit.
DevilDawg, good to hear you were able to extract the broken bolt! It shouldn't be a problem getting another shoulder bolt. Keep us posted. :smileup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hurst shifter id installed and I have to say what a difference and a real fun drive. Although the stock shifter was nice I like the look and feel of the Hurst much better. Thanks again for the ear and the help

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Hurst shifter id installed and I have to say what a difference and a real fun drive. Although the stock shifter was nice I like the look and feel of the Hurst much better. Thanks again for the ear and the help
I installed the Hurst Shifter in my Challenger 3 days ago and I am with you on that assessment! What shifter handle did you use? I kept the Pistol Grip handle but to get it to fit the slot I had to grind the base of the handle.

Enjoy the rowing!

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Is it the hex bolt? I know I snapped a bolt, ended up ordering a whole new shifter assy, because I couldn't find the part I needed by itself. I ended up getting bolts from the dealership....

·
Registered
2 Posts
WeLLLLLL... now I went and did it! I was installing my Hurst shifter and when I went to tighten the "shoulder bolt" [I think that's what its called I snapped off the threaded part in the OEM rod that the Hurst shifter attaches too. Now I'm guessing I can try and drill out the threaded piece I snapped off but If not does anyone know where I can buy the rod and the 2 shoulder bolts? I'm guessing this may be a dealer only item but thought I'd check here first. BTW - I did use a torque wrench and had it set to 15lbs... apparently I don't know what 15lbs should feel like and I over torqued the blot snapping it off.
i dont know if its been said yet. but for future reference, many torque wrenches "flex" rather than "click". good luck!

(edit) I meant no offence by that. It's a simple mistake that anybody starting out can make. Or anybody that simply has never used one before. I'm sorry if it offended anybody.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts