Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the 6 speed manual owners what's everyone's thoughts on the Hurst shifter compared to a Barton

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
66 Posts
I have the Barton and it is fricken awesome. I skipped the Hurst shifter because Speedy's Garage said the Barton was better.

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
897 Posts
From what I have read numerous times more lean towards the Barton's because they seem to feel better.
Both are way superior to the Stock Mopar / Chrysler Shifters.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will add that when I took my car to the dyno at Late Model Throttle in Waukesha, WI, the tech said that he had never felt such a precise shifter in any other Challengers that they had worked on.

The centering spring setup is great and there is no give or mushiness when hitting the back of the gate that i felt with the stock shifter. My car is a 2012, maybe the stock improved in recent years but the Barton was my second modification and would be my first if I were to get a new Challenger 6spd.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
743 Posts
So for the 6 speed manual owners what's everyone's thoughts on the Hurst shifter compared to a Barton
I've read a handful of reviews by people that have owned both and I think all of them prefer the Barton. A few people said that if you get the "Larry Mod" done to the Hurst, that then it's close to the Barton. But I've also read that "Larry" isn't doing mods any longer. Even without the mod, it's said that the Hurst is better than stock.

It took me a few weeks to get used to the strong centering springs in the Barton. Those springs are why you'll feel far more confident in your 2nd to 3rd shifts than you'll ever feel with the stock shifter.

Add a Speed Dawg shift knob to the Barton and the shifter feels even better.

Here's the Speedy's Garage review from when they replaced a Hurst shifter with the Barton shifter: Speedy's Garage Review

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,477 Posts
I had a Hurst in my old R/T... a Barton in my old Scat Pack... and now a Barton in my Hellcat... The Hurst is a nice short throw shifter.. the advantage of the Barton is how it is sprung to self center... The Hurst was a little "sloppy".... I would still miss aggressive 2-3 upshifts... etc... With the Barton, the shifts are WAY more precise... haven't missed 3rd yet... not trying to bad mouth Hurst... like I said, nice short throw, old school look (I had a pistol grip shifter)... the engineering of the Barton is better IMHO...

Reactions: oilslick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just installed Barton short throw on my 2015 SRT 392. WOW! What a difference. no more binding and difficulty going into 2nd. This is like night and day. Great price at Summitracing.com

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I believe Barton is made in the US while many if not all Hurst products are made in China. That was enough for me to buy Barton. I had an order on backorder for months from Hurst. I learned it was coming from China. I cancelled my order and ordered Barton which they machined and assembled inhouse in the US. Winner, Winner, all American burger dinner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Winner, Winner, all American burger dinner.
I too, prefer the burger dinner!

Before I bought my Barton, I was waffling on whether I needed to do a shifter at all.

A buddy described it to me like this: "It is a part/upgrade that you are going to enjoy EVERYTIME you drive the car."

That was almost 5 yrs ago and he is still right!

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
20 Posts
So UPS dropped this off today... Wonder what I'll be doing this weekend!!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
897 Posts
Very Cool shame they never made a Manual Transmission available for the SXT's or a Kit to convert one. Well maybe in a few years of scraping dissability can get a R/T and enjoy a Manual Transmission again.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I believe Barton is made in the US while much of Hurst stuff these days comes from China. I had some Hurst stuff of backorder for months and they kept adding a month. I cancelled and ordered from Barton. Since my item was custom, it took a couple of weeks but what I got was beautifully designed, machined, and finished. No comparison IMO. Barton is also amazing on the phone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts