Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T SP WB M6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the filter from the local small dealer, $11. A certain dealer Who shall remain unnamed) not far from me want $102 for the 7 qts and filter. Uh, no.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
876 Posts
6qts + 1qt 0W40-Penzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic and the Mopar Filter 04884899AC. Not too bad.
I got the filter from the local small dealer, $11. A certain dealer Who shall remain unnamed) not far from me want $102 for the 7 qts and filter. Uh, no.
Nicely done! And ... you know that it's been done right!

My last few changes have pretty much broken down the same .... about $45 for 6qts from an Amazon seller + $11 for the seventh quart + $15 for the #041 SRT oil filter = $71. The SRT oil filter is one of my favorite things to get with my Amazon Prime points so I don't minds "spending" the extra $5 for the better filter.

I was talking to a guy at a Cruise-In last month who got himself in a jam and had to pay to get a change before a road trip. The dealer was going to charge him $105 ... but had a 2-hour wait for their Express(?) Lane service. So he went to a Quick Change place and got tapped for $130. OUCH!

Reactions: Farmer Fran

·
Registered
2020 392 Scat Pack Widebody
187 Posts
I pay $87 at my dealer for an oil change in my 2020 SP. Paying $71 for oil and filter and then doing it myself is for the birds. I changed my own oil in my cars for years and it was always more hassle than it was worth.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T SP WB M6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pay $87 at my dealer for an oil change in my 2020 SP. Paying $71 for oil and filter and then doing it myself is for the birds. I changed my own oil in my cars for years and it was always more hassle than it was worth.
Agreed in a sense. The guys near me charge $17 for an oil change and it is well worth it, but I am still in the camp that it is easier for me because I get to stay home and it takes no more time to do it myself vs going to do it. But my local acceptance facility takes oil and some do not have that convince. I am getting to that point though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
that is a good deal, but unfortunately the kid they have doing it makes 11 per hour and is lucky to get your drain plug back in, let alone torqued correctly. ill stick with doing it myself and knowing it is done right and there are no extra parts when it is over.

·
Registered
187 Posts
that is a good deal, but unfortunately the kid they have doing it makes 11 per hour and is lucky to get your drain plug back in, let alone torqued correctly. ill stick with doing it myself and knowing it is done right and there are no extra parts when it is over.
Not a worry for me, any engine damage from a bad oil change would be covered by Dodge since my local dealer is the only one touching my car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not a worry for me, any engine damage from a bad oil change would be covered by Dodge since my local dealer is the only one touching my car.
out of curiosity do you or the dealer empty the catch can? if the dealer does it did he mention anything about modifications and warranty? i know guys on this site love to tell everyone who will listen that even the smallest mods void your warranty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
out of curiosity do you or the dealer empty the catch can? if the dealer does it did he mention anything about modifications and warranty? i know guys on this site love to tell everyone who will listen that even the smallest mods void your warranty.
The dealer emptied my catchcan and didn't say anything about it.

Reactions: Mr. F8 Green

·
Registered
739 Posts
The dealer emptied his catch can first, then his wallet! :p

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,118 Posts
The dealer emptied my catchcan and didn't say anything about it.
That's what I would expect of a dealer. He's not going to give you the big lecture about mods. No dealer likes to come across like some nag to a customer.

The real test comes if (if) you bring the car in for an issue that results in a warranty claim. Then the dealer might then tell you the catch can was a no no. Or maybe not. Based on posts here and other places some dealers deny warranty coverage if you don't air your tires from a dealer's air compressor line. Others will turn a blind eye to a triple supercharged engine running nitro/methane.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts