Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6M Widebody Shift Light Issue

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  RJCavallo 
#1 ·
Been talking to several people on the other forum. The shift light (performance shift indicator) is only functioning on one person's vehicle. Mine has worked on a handful of occasions. Is anyone here seeing that issue and/or have found a solution?

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Fran. Can you point me in to something that verifies they are aware of this? I (and several others) have been working on this for about 5 months and so far I've been able to get Dodge to confirm they even know they have a problem. I've been in a bunch of back and forth with Dodge Cares and dealer etc. My dealers technical contact talked to someone at Uconnect who told him that it wasn't supposed to be offered on our models and the next software update would remove the shift light screen. Do you have a STAR case or tech note I can reference?

#6 ·
Correct. However, my son decided if it were going no place complaining about it, it wasn't worth the effort of pushing them to fix it. Sometimes PCM updates screw up something else. Case in point, Microsoft. All automatic updates are disabled on my server farm until I run updates on a system where all updates are treated as beta even though Microsoft says it works. I would think after all these years that have passed, Dodge software writers would have figured this out. I hope those of you who want it to work will be successful getting a resolution.
-John

#9 ·
These PCM's contain thousands of lines of code. Possibly, the person who put the hook in the code to flash that yellow light for optimal shift points depending on accelerator pressure died or moved on to bigger and better things. I used to write firmware for SAN controllers on Enterprise networks. Debugging a trip wire in the code can take longer than writing the actual code itself. Even if there is a class action law suit, it's very hard to get them to fix it unless it's a safety issue and escalated to NHTSA. And because it is NOT a safety issue....
-John

#11 ·
So here's the latest from Dodge. Took mine in Thursday to get the STAR (Service Technical Assistance Resource ) case started. Dodge got back with the service tech (Diego) Friday. According to what Diego was told:
They ARE aware of the issue.
Despite what others have said and what he was told by someone at Uconnect previously, they acknowledge that is IS supposed to work.
They have worked on a solution (a bit about that further down).
The issue has something to do with failure of the clutch pedal switch and PCM to properly communicate.
He was told that a fix for the issue was rolled up in the same update that made changes to the valet mode (I got a note on the valet mode update in the mail as I think all owners were supposed to)
He was advised to install that update to fix the issue. He did call me to ask which one of the two options I wanted installed as there is one version that limited the maximum speed to 25mph and one
that limited output (not really sure about that last detail) but I opted for the later (I could see an issue if the valet had to park it down the street and then couldn't get out of the way of traffic).
He installed the update and informed Dodge that it did NOT solve the issue.

Today I went to pick up the car from the dealer. Headed to the grocery store a mile or so away and got on it a couple of times and noted that the light did NOT work. Left the parking lot and noted that it still didn't work. Somewhere on the drive home it came to life. Will post the video. Pulled over, shut the car off, opened and closed the door and restarted. Light still working.

#12 ·
The clutch switch has nothing to do with the shift light. On one of the club cars that it has always worked on, he normally shifts without using the clutch once he is past 1st. gear. The shift light still comes on depending on acceleration curve. Try it. It works.
-John

#18 ·
It did, but strangely not right away. Dealer drove it without it working, I drove it once without it working and it started working about 20 minutes into my second drive. One guy on the other site reported issues with the update.

"Mine has been working since I first noticed it but of course my car throws a code about every 3 days since I got the valet update. I use it about every time I park though. "

I've never put mine in valet mode and don't think I'll attempt it based on his experience.

#19 ·
It did, but strangely not right away. Dealer drove it without it working, I drove it once without it working and it started working about 20 minutes into my second drive. One guy on the other site reported issues with the update.

"Mine has been working since I first noticed it but of course my car throws a code about every 3 days since I got the valet update. I use it about every time I park though. "

I've never put mine in valet mode and don't think I'll attempt it based on his experience.
My son had his driveshaft replaced on the Hellcat last week $$$$$ WOW! While the car was at the dealer they did the update. It also included some kind of evap canister purge valve flash that he was supposed to have done a long time ago. But anyway, 2 fixes plus the new driveshaft. 72.5K miles. I'm going to ask him tonight if he will enable the light and see if it works. Regardless, the service dept. should not screw around with people's cars and do things that the customer did not ask for.
-John

#20 ·
My son had his driveshaft replaced on the Hellcat last week $$$$$ WOW! While the car was at the dealer they did the update. It also included some kind of evap canister purge valve flash that he was supposed to have done a long time ago. But anyway, 2 fixes plus the new driveshaft. 72.5K miles. I'm going to ask him tonight if he will enable the light and see if it works. Regardless, the service dept. should not screw around with people's cars and do things that the customer did not ask for.
-John
So... my Son turned on the shift light before he left work last night. In 42 miles of mixed driving, part highway, part heavy city traffic, the shift light came on only 3 times. It is now disabled again for good. However, he loves his new driveshaft. BTW, the service manager claims that the new driveshaft will last the life of the car because of a re-design they implemented.
-John
-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.