Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start the car i believe the wheels turn by themselves to the left and the power steering makes a loud noise. what would cause this? is my power steering pump bad? i wanted to upgrade to firm feel steering anyways does anybody have experience with that upgrade and is it worth it? thanks guys ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
when i start the car i believe the wheels turn by themselves to the left and the power steering makes a loud noise. what would cause this? is my power steering pump bad? i wanted to upgrade to firm feel steering anyways does anybody have experience with that upgrade and is it worth it? thanks guys ahead of time.
I had this problem once, and the fix is easy. Put the front of the car on jackstands with the tires off the ground. Then SLIGHTLY loosen the two bolts where the p/s hoses connect to the steering box. You don't want these bolts too loose. What has happened is this connector needs to be lightly bumped with a hammer either left, right, up, or down until it is exactly centered on the steering box junction. It may take a few times to get it adjusted, just start the car after every adjustment until the wheels don't try to turn when you do. DO NOT turn the key with your hand through the steering wheel! Once it starts without trying to turn by itself, tighten the bolts and test-drive. If this doesn't do it, there are O-rings at this connection that might have slipped or rotted. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts