Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 71 challenger RT 426 Hemi with a 727 tranny which has a 2500 stall converter. Want to replace or rebuild the converer and tranny. Where can i get a new converter and tranny?:4-dontknow:

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I sent you a PM. Take a look and see if this is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You should be able to find a reputable transmission shop near you that works on older vehicles. For instance, I am rebuilding one myself to stick behind my 440 to go in my Fury. I was quoted 550 dollars to rebuild the transmission and install a shift kit, warrantied for 1 year. You will probably have to find somewhere that rebuilds converters. You should be able to pick up a new one for fairly cheap though. Believe summit has some good ones for around 150-200$.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You should be able to find a reputable transmission shop near you that works on older vehicles. For instance, I am rebuilding one myself to stick behind my 440 to go in my Fury. I was quoted 550 dollars to rebuild the transmission and install a shift kit, warrantied for 1 year. You will probably have to find somewhere that rebuilds converters. You should be able to pick up a new one for fairly cheap though. Believe summit has some good ones for around 150-200$.
Build tips: add a 5.0 ratio 1-2 servo lever...don't sand the direct drum surface, leave it shiny...find a good used solid (no slots in it) front band, the reason is for a hard crisp 1-2 shift, sanding the drum and using a new band removes the hard shift...tighten up the forward clutch pack a little more, not to tight though about .030 is fine...the direct clutch shouldn't have a wave at the top use a flat, top snap ring you're looking for about .010 per friction on this drum, look for a hemi drum or have a 4 disc cut for 5...replace the low roller system: springs, rollers, and inner cam race...the rear band is the one you want new, they break from over 300 psi at the rear servo...not really a need for a reverse valve body unless your at the track, for the street keeping it auto works out much better and still retains the hard chirping shifts...converters: don't go over 3800 stall for mild modded motors...if you need any help or have any questions on the build don't hesitate to PM me on here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts