Dodge Challenger Forum banner

727 tranny

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Trimec T56 
#1 ·
Have a 71 challenger RT 426 Hemi with a 727 tranny which has a 2500 stall converter. Want to replace or rebuild the converer and tranny. Where can i get a new converter and tranny?:4-dontknow:

#2 ·
I sent you a PM. Take a look and see if this is what you are looking for.

#3 ·
You should be able to find a reputable transmission shop near you that works on older vehicles. For instance, I am rebuilding one myself to stick behind my 440 to go in my Fury. I was quoted 550 dollars to rebuild the transmission and install a shift kit, warrantied for 1 year. You will probably have to find somewhere that rebuilds converters. You should be able to pick up a new one for fairly cheap though. Believe summit has some good ones for around 150-200$.

#4 ·
You should be able to find a reputable transmission shop near you that works on older vehicles. For instance, I am rebuilding one myself to stick behind my 440 to go in my Fury. I was quoted 550 dollars to rebuild the transmission and install a shift kit, warrantied for 1 year. You will probably have to find somewhere that rebuilds converters. You should be able to pick up a new one for fairly cheap though. Believe summit has some good ones for around 150-200$.
Build tips: add a 5.0 ratio 1-2 servo lever...don't sand the direct drum surface, leave it shiny...find a good used solid (no slots in it) front band, the reason is for a hard crisp 1-2 shift, sanding the drum and using a new band removes the hard shift...tighten up the forward clutch pack a little more, not to tight though about .030 is fine...the direct clutch shouldn't have a wave at the top use a flat, top snap ring you're looking for about .010 per friction on this drum, look for a hemi drum or have a 4 disc cut for 5...replace the low roller system: springs, rollers, and inner cam race...the rear band is the one you want new, they break from over 300 psi at the rear servo...not really a need for a reverse valve body unless your at the track, for the street keeping it auto works out much better and still retains the hard chirping shifts...converters: don't go over 3800 stall for mild modded motors...if you need any help or have any questions on the build don't hesitate to PM me on here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.