Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a 3' exhaust for my 74 Challenger, magnaflow has a complete system for a 72 challenger , the problem is they can't tell me why it won't work on a 74, am I missing something? what has changed between 72 and 74 to the chassis , frame , crossmember , ect . the magnaflow part # for kit is mpe-15852 Has anyone used this kit ? Any info would be great Thanks in advance:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
What engine? In 74 they had the 360 while in 72 it was a 340. I'm not sure in what way the exhaust manifolds might or might not be different.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I just had the exhaust shop fab up a system for my Nova. I have longtube headers with 3" collectors and then they made a 3" exhaust out to the rear axle with turndowns and running Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Sounds awesome! They charged me $300. It's been on the car since 2002.

Might be worth looking into rather than spending more on a complete assembled system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3" exhaust

yea tried that, live in small town none of the shops have ability to mandrel bend 3" pipe , are any of the universal do it yourself kits available any good

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The minute you said 440 with headers I though "custom exhaust". You might just have to drive somewhere and have a system bent for your car. It won't really cost anymore. Do you have a truck and trailer or a buddy with one?

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Yeah I would take a drive or put it up on a trailer and take it somewhere that can handle the job. It's possible there is a good system out there, but most likely it will cost quite a bit and it may or may not fit 100% perfectly. It would be a shame to spend all that money for a complete system and then have to take it to an exhaust shop to be hacked up to fit right anyway.

I'd call around to some places that aren't too far away for you and see what they say.

With my exhaust they were able to tuck it up nicely under my car so it's not hanging down and looking all junky like some old cars have. I opted to just have turndowns before the rear axle, but you could always get full tailpipes out to the back too. It looks really nice, haven't had any issues with it leaking or hitting/touching anything on my car, and it sounds awesome!

That's probably your best bet. I've never looked into a complete exhaust system before for my Nova or for any older car for that matter. They seem to be pretty popular for the modern cars since so many people have them, but the old cars are pretty rare these days, probably not a huge demand for a complete exhaust system for a 440 Mopar with headers. Further driving down that demand is the fact that most people probably have the exhaust shop fab up a system for their car. Just my thoughts.

Can you post up some pics of your ride? It sounds pretty sweet!

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Just curious how many ponies that 440 is pushing? I'd love to see some pics of your car...tell us more about it!
You said the local guys cant bend 3" pipe. Do you need a 3" dual exhaust? Can they bend 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" pipe?
Up to 460 HP 2 1/2"Ø dual is fine.
From there to 560 HP 2 3/4"Ø will get you there.
3"Ø is good between 560 & 675 HP.
JMO but going bigger than what you need is overkill.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
That's true, good point. 2.5" exhaust would probably work just fine. I went with 3" and it seems to work fine as well, but it probably is overkill. I was 20 years old and wanted the loudest most obnoxious exhaust I could get and that's what I got haha!

Definitely post up some pics when you get!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts