Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Dazed & Confused
36,612 Posts
No warranty from Chrysler that I'm aware of. Depends if there is a warranty from the Petty's install or not.

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
They told me 8 pounds was safe.
I've noticed a lot of vendors have dialed things back to 6 pounds in their adds now that there has been a number of failures at 8 lbs and greater.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Subscribed

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Very sorry to hear about that. Unfortunatly...this is getting pretty common on the 392 pistons. Hasn't been anywhere near the same problem with the 5.7's or the 6.1's. I mentioned a while back that given a choice I would much prefer the 6.1 to build because of no VVT or MDS but also a big reason because of the 392 piston weakness and had some people slam me pretty good for saying that.:4-dontknow:

·
12,990 Posts
I'm sure there will be a lot of interest in this thread being there had been so much debate here about the strength and ability of the 392 pistons to stand up to boost pressure.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
From what I remember, Arrington Engines found out that some tunes are the problem. Issues arise when the fuel goes lean during part throttle boost.

A quote from Alex at Arrington in this thread http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93721

Post #61 to be exact.

"We have come a long ways tuning the 392's. After doing A LOT of research to find out why pistons were burning up we figured out it wasn't the pistons fault. Even though they are about .008 thinner on the top ring land than a 5.7 or 6.1 they can still take the boost as long as they don't run out of fuel. Part throttle tuning has made leaps and bounds over what it used to be, especially with the new software we are able to flash these boxes with, making these pistons happier longer. You will still see a low 11 A/F at WOT because that isn't where they were running into issues and breaking. It is the transition into boost at part throttle creating the lean issue. Some software just doesn't have the ability to cover that area. Leaving a lot of 392's needing a piston upgrade."

:3-smoke:

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
From what I remember, Arrington Engines found out that some tunes are the problem. Issues arise when the fuel goes lean during part throttle boost.

A quote from Alex at Arrington in this thread http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93721

Post #61 to be exact.

"We have come a long ways tuning the 392's. After doing A LOT of research to find out why pistons were burning up we figured out it wasn't the pistons fault. Even though they are about .008 thinner on the top ring land than a 5.7 or 6.1 they can still take the boost as long as they don't run out of fuel. Part throttle tuning has made leaps and bounds over what it used to be, especially with the new software we are able to flash these boxes with, making these pistons happier longer. You will still see a low 11 A/F at WOT because that isn't where they were running into issues and breaking. It is the transition into boost at part throttle creating the lean issue. Some software just doesn't have the ability to cover that area. Leaving a lot of 392's needing a piston upgrade."

:3-smoke:
Great post John!!:smileup: That 8 thousands or pretty close to 1 hundredth thinner is still a problem IMO along with any funny business that might be going on with the silicon % mix. We need to bare in mind that these Hemi pistons ALL are VERY close on that top ring land to start with and ANY further less like the 392's are just that much less safety zone for blown applications. I think this may have something to do with why that part throttle tune is giving the 392's more problems than the 5.7's in a same year model using the newer encrypted PCM's. I recently saw a picture of a stock 392 piston next to someones aftermarket piston....I forget where this was shown....and all I will say is...there was a VERY visible difference in the amount of metal above that top ring land!!

·
12,990 Posts
Great post John!!:smileup: That 8 thousands or pretty close to 1 hundredth thinner is still a problem IMO along with any funny business that might be going on with the silicon % mix. We need to bare in mind that these Hemi pistons ALL are VERY close on that top ring land to start with and ANY further less like the 392's are just that much less safety zone for blown applications. I think this may have something to

do with why that part throttle tune is giving the 392's more problems than the 5.7's in a same year model using the newer encrypted PCM's. I recently saw a picture of a stock 392 piston next to someones aftermarket piston....I forget where this was shown....and all I will say is...there was a VERY visible difference in the amount of metal above that top ring land!!

Agreed Dan, something is definitely going on with those 392 pistons, when I saw Josh at HHP earlier this week he said a lot of his customers go up to 12 lbs boost on the
5.7 without any problems and he said not to worry about the pistons as long as the tune is good, from what I've seen there is no way the 6.4 pistons could handle that.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Agreed Dan, something is definitely going on with those 392 pistons, when I saw Josh at HHP earlier this week he said a lot of his customers go up to 12 lbs boost on the
5.7 without any problems and he said not to worry about the pistons as long as the tune is good, from what I've seen there is no way the 6.2 pistons could handle that.
Alan - so Josh is now safely running 12lbs on 5.7s? I thought 8lbs was all he was comfortable with? - I love to hear the progression!

·
12,990 Posts
Alan - so Josh is now safely running 12lbs on 5.7s? I thought 8lbs was all he was comfortable with? - I love to hear the progression!
Yeah, that really surprised me when he said that, Its kind of putting nuttey ideas in my head.:revenant:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,475 Posts
Well when we get older, we do get a lot of nutty ideas!!!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yeah, that really surprised me when he said that, Its kind of putting nuttey ideas in my head.:revenant:

me too - I am on track to hit him up this summer on finalizing my packages (S/C, cam, heads, exhaust, tunes) and getting it scheduled for late summer/early fall. Now those nutty ideas are starting to wander into my head......YIKES!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
This is very true...most of them however usually involve thinking we can do something we used to when we where younger....LOL:hah:

As a policeman or two has told me....You couldnt do it very well back then, so what dang fool idea makes you think you can do it now?... sometimes that is follwed by a pause and an emphatic "huh boy???"

it so deflates what seemed like a great idea at the time....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts