Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
Everything I've read says that it will be, that's part of the reason they changed the floor plan on the new Challenger, to accommodate the 8 speed transmission.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,021 Posts
8 speed transmission is what I've heard as well. With an 8 speed, the Challenger will see an mpg boost as well. Don't be surprised if that translates into a 4-5 mpg gain across all platforms.

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
Just what rumors I've heard and I don't know but yes...2015 will be the new 8-speed auto...but in a car called the "Challenger" or in a car we would recognize as a Challenger....not so sure about that.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,029 Posts
They've been putting 8 speeds in their trucks for awhile.

Kinda scares me....8 speeds has to rob some performance...even weight.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
They've been putting 8 speeds in their trucks for awhile.

Kinda scares me....8 speeds has to rob some performance...even weight.
I am curious to see... Allpar has a test of a Charger 3.6 with the 8 speed auto... was pretty quick from what I remember, just a tick off the 06' Hemi Charger's 0-60 times....

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am curious to see... Allpar has a test of a Charger 3.6 with the 8 speed auto... was pretty quick from what I remember, just a tick off the 06' Hemi Charger's 0-60 times....
Yeah, I am curious too. I recently drove the Dodge Charger with the V6 and the 8 speed transmission. I have to say the tranny felt great and the pick up was really strong. As a bonus 31mpg. I would seriously think about trading my RT for that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We have a 2014 Jeep GC with the 8 speed trans in it and the transmission is fine but if they put the damn eco mode with it, I wouldn't buy one without being able to disable as default. I can't drive the GC, wife's car, without turning it off before leaving the driveway.

Who ever programmed the shift points for that mode should get a swift kick...

·
Premium Member
8,985 Posts
We have a 2014 Jeep GC with the 8 speed trans in it and the transmission is fine but if they put the damn eco mode with it, I wouldn't buy one without being able to disable as default. I can't drive the GC, wife's car, without turning it off before leaving the driveway.

Who ever programmed the shift points for that mode should get a swift kick...
I understand fully...my wife's GC is a '12 with a six-speed auto behind the 5.7. I really think those idiot programmers are trying to lug the engine to death in ECO mode. Even with the low shift points, we still only manage about 14 or 15 MPG. If I'm driving it alone, I use the manual shift.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,868 Posts
I have the 9 speed in my new Cherokee (although it should be called an 8 speed cause I have not yet seen it in gear # 9 yet).

Although for the most part it shifts okay, occasionally it shifts erratically. Sometimes it seems it struggles to find the right gear for the situation. Chrysler has come out with a new computer flash to try to improve it's shifting. I haven't gotten the new flash yet but will be soon. So Chrysler better get it right before installing it into high HP Challengers.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
224 Posts
It would be the smartest thing they've done. The WA580 sucks. Tall family car ratios 1-3 and a deep truck-like ratio for 5. Which means we lose to other cars out of the hole, and can't compensate with axle gearing for fear of running 3,000 RPMs on the highway. A total joke. I would trade mine for a 8-speed right now.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been test driving a bunch of new cars, thinking of trading in the Challenger. After driving these cars, all which have 6 or 8 speed transmissions. I am convinced the 5 speed auto in the Challenger is really holding this car back.
Almost everything I test drove, all with way less HP seem to accelerate with less effort then the Challenger. In addition the highway rpm's were much lower. It definitely needs the 8 speed. Just my unbiased observation.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It would be the smartest thing they've done. The WA580 sucks. Tall family car ratios 1-3 and a deep truck-like ratio for 5. Which means we lose to other cars out of the hole, and can't compensate with axle gearing for fear of running 3,000 RPMs on the highway. A total joke. I would trade mine for a 8-speed right now.
True, except 1st gear is pretty low which is good but 2nd is too high and bog's. 8 more even gears would be much better.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
224 Posts
True, except 1st gear is pretty low which is good but 2nd is too high and bog's. 8 more even gears would be much better.
Chargers have a 4.71 first gear. Mustangs have a 4.17. Camaros don't count as cars. By contrast, we're stuck with a 3.59 first gear. It's pathetic all the way from 1-3. Then you get to 5 and it's only a 250RPM reduction from 4. Whoever picked the ratios for the WA580 should have been fired on the spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.