Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the gym yesterday afternoon. During the week, I'm usually in my beater Jeep so parking at the gym is not an overriding issue. The parking spaces are tight and the rows are narrow, which mean you really have to have your head on a swivel when backing out of a spot so as not to bumper-tap another car.

But I usually drive my Challenger on the weekends, so if I go to the gym I look for one three of my 3 "safe" parking spots. If none of the 3 are available, I simply leave, as was the case last Saturday. But usually I can park in one of my 3 spots.

Yesterday was a perfect example of that. I parked in my favorite spot on the far side of the parking lot that's curbed on one side, and faces out to a planter island, so no one would back into me. As I almost always do, I backed into the parking spot and put my doorshox on my unprotected passenger side in the event someone parked too close and went in to play some basketball. If you ever used to watch Seinfeld, you might remember an episode where Jerry Seinfeld coined the term "close-talker" to describe someone who stands in your personal space while talking to you. Inspired by that, I call drivers who park too close to another car as "close-parkers".

When I returned after my workout, I could see a silver Cadillac CTS had parked next to my Challenger. As I drew near, I could see the CTS was parked a little too near my passenger door. I quick-scanned my passenger door for dings, saw none, and opened my passenger door to put away my doorshox. As I opened my door, I kept my fingertips on the edge to prevent it from hitting the CTS (my door opened to within a 1/4" of hitting it).

I went around to the driver's side and was getting ready to leave when I saw a guy approaching me. He called out, "I'll bet you're wondering the what @$$hole parked so close to your car!" I figured in an instant he was the owner of the CTS. The guy came around to my driver's side and repeated his statement. I replied, "Well, I'm guessing it's yours, but I'm also guessing you parked like that to protect your car from getting damaged."

The CTS owner affirmed it was his car and explained he was trying to find a place to park when he spotted my Challenger and decided to park next to it because he figured whoever owned the Challenger had parked it in a way to protect it, and he correctly surmised that the owner (me) would take care not to damage his vehicle. I told him that I'm a car guy and I always take care not to ding another vehicle, and thanked him for coming over to explain why he parked the way that he did. We talked about our cars for a few more minutes and went our separate ways. Really kind of a refreshing change from the inconsiderate close-parkers I usually encounter.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,070 Posts
Kinda nice that someone cares once in a while, isn't it!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I can see his point, however I had an acquaintance and we were on a VP road trip, that kept parking to close to my 70 challenger with his 70 challenger ,and so I started parking way on the other side away from , even though he said he would be careful

,I DIDN'T TRUST HIM ,and sure enough he parked to close AGAIN!!!and he let his door slip and hit my 1/4 panel,

so I have not had time to get a PDR on it so for now I just call it a ROLAND,

I almost smothered him with a pillow that night, I was very upset to say the least,

so yea he says he will respect your car but those are the ones that for get and door ding your car:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
better safe than sorry...I love that my challenger is in my garage when I'm at home away from anything else...but I hate parking her any where else. Just hate it.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,168 Posts
better safe than sorry...I love that my challenger is in my garage when I'm at home away from anything else...but I hate parking her any where else. Just hate it.
Yeah, Andy I feel the same way. I had to park in so many different places yesterday when I was gone. I wasn't too comfortable with any of the places I parked, even though I was as careful as possible.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
I have to admit though...yesterday we had a two hour practice game for an upcoming charity soccer game I'm organizing and participating in and a bunch of us all went to a local watering hole afterwards for a snack and a beverage...it's good to hydrate...and I found a prime spot right by the patio so I could keep an eye on her. We weren't there more than 10 minutes before the car on both sides of her pulled out and over the next 90 minutes or so...nobody else pulled in beside her even though the lot was pretty full.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Ya....OK....but I still wouldn't park that close.....even if it was another Challenger!!! Give a Hemi it's space!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Ya....OK....but I still wouldn't park that close.....even if it was another Challenger!!! Give a Hemi it's space!!!
Preach Sister Susie! :pop:

Good that he came to explain himself though, I loathe full parking lots. I'll drive around and around until I find something that seems safe... if not I usually just decide "eh it can wait" and come back later! :dork:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well if you're living in a true Seinfeld episode..... The next time you go to the gym, the "close Parker" will have stolen your spot lol! It would make for a funny episode too!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,168 Posts
I like Susie's answer too! Yesterday when I saw the white Roadrunner, I was careful not to park too close to it. Respect the other beautiful cars' space!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
... The CTS owner affirmed it was his car and explained he was trying to find a place to park when he spotted my Challenger and decided to park next to it because he figured whoever owned the Challenger had parked it in a way to protect it, and he correctly surmised that the owner (me) would take care not to damage his vehicle. ...
Whenever it's a car that's obviously well-taken-care-of, that's always my assumption.

But, just to be sure, I always check to make sure the car's doors didn't ding mine. No ding, no harm, no problem. :smileup:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I always assume that the other driver is a car guy when it's a "nice" car, and I don't get mad about it.

Last time this type of thing happened to me it was an Audi S5 so I wasn't worried.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I really can't stand anyone that would park close to me. I don't care how nice of a car it is. Only once have I been fortunate enough to have another Challenger park next to me and it looked like a car show type deal when we came out. We were centered in our stalls and the neat thing is other MOPARS had parked around us. Kind of like circling the wagons. He said he parked next to me cause he knew how much we respected our cars. Everyone else that parked around us must have liked our cars too. Enjoy the Journey. Lou

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For myself, I'll park next to a vehicle that shows pride of ownership if there are no other parking options, but I would not abrogate another owner's intention of protective parking by edging close to his/her parked vehicle. I'm glad the other driver approached to explain himself, but there was a part of me that wanted to say (and probably should have said) just what I wrote.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Man you are so right.......I love driving my challenger but i go crazy if I cannot find a safe place to park, we were just talking at work about how people just dont care about their vehicles, even if they are brand new

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I parked next to a '10 R/T Classic today for the same reason; I was protecting his flank and I figured he would take care to do the same for me.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Preach Sister Susie! :pop:

Good that he came to explain himself though, I loathe full parking lots. I'll drive around and around until I find something that seems safe... if not I usually just decide "eh it can wait" and come back later! :dork:
Ninja Dave - don't mean to hijack this thread but were you the one I met in Branson at the car show? I own the white R/T with the supercharger. Sent you a PM a day ago...

About the parking issue - the opposite also applies to spots next to other cars: if the car is really banged up, you know they have nothing to lose! You won't believe how far I walked today just to find an end-space. I'm thinking they need to reserve parking spaces with signs that say "Challengers and cool cars only!"

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Ninja Dave - don't mean to hijack this thread but were you the one I met in Branson at the car show? I own the white R/T with the supercharger. Sent you a PM a day ago...
Oh sorry meant to PM you back, but nope! I'm way down South, plus I haven't been lucky enough to go to any car shows yet. Hopefully I'll get to one soon :smileup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I used to frequent a Starbucks inside a grocery store every morning before work. I always park waaaay out to avoid anyone parking next to me. One morning a work truck (white with many doors on the sides) parked so close to me that I had to slide sideways to put my drink and lunch in on the passenger side. While I was walking around to the driver's side the guy came to his truck. I said to him "Really? With 40 other empty parking spaces all around you park like this?" and he says "What, I can't park next to you because you have this car?" and I said "YES". We get into a rather ugly back and forth about him needing to make a point and my being a B!#@#, and I leave.

Because of this I now park in the very last spot on a row way far out and for a long time, maybe a year or more, now, no one has parked out there anywhere next to me because it's early in the morning and no one wants to park that far out. Then one day a white older (90's) Corvette starts parking next to me but a little further up by my front fender on the passenger side. Ok. No harm. Then, he starts getting there earlier than me and parking in, yes, I'm going to say it: MY SPOT. That no one has bothered with in forever. I never see anyone parking there, even when it's busy. Until now.

4 times later, I don't frequent that Starbucks anymore. Period.

I have the right to park away from others if I want, I'm the one inconvenienced, not anyone else. And, NO ONE has the right to prove any point to me, it's my car.

So, creepy guy with the Corvette, it's all yours!

Parking is very important to us. We care enough about our cars that we'll walk a city block just to stay away from others who don't care.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
And then ya get those ba##@%$$% that still want to key you even when you park like this (end spot, curb and grass/tree on the passenger side)...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts