Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friend just purchased a 2013 R/T 5.7 auto. He'd like to get a little better sound from the exhaust(for less than 1K if possible). I read some of the exhaust threads and didn't really see anything that wasn't pretty expensive. Any tips? Also is a catch can a good investment for this vehicle? Thanks for any advice I can pass along to him.
Jay

·
12,989 Posts
I would tell him to check with Auto Anything, they always have some good deals on exhaust systems, a catch can is a very good investment to make to preserve the engines integrity.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I would tell him to check with Auto Anything, they always have some good deals on exhaust systems, a catch can is a very good investment to make to preserve the engines integrity.
Also I've heard a lot of people if they use the chat function to talk to a representative at AutoAnything when visiting the site they usually can negotiate a small discount, good luck on getting a deal on an exhaust system! :smileup:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Check out Solo exhaust (Mach X system). Should only cost around $800 or so. Many members on here went with that system and really love it. It's a complete catback system with J tubes to avoid drone at certain RPM's with the MDS on the autos.

Catch can is a great idea. Prevents nasty oil stuff from the PCV system from being recirculated through the intake into the engine. Separates the nasty oil from the vapors so you only burn the vapors. I got mine from Speedlogix for under $100, was easy to install, easy to empty, and looks nice under the hood as well.

Your friend can probably get an exhaust and catch can for under or around $1K easily.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Your friend could also remove the Resonators and add mufflers (Blastin Bob's, FlowMasters...) and get a great sound.....all for around $300.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The absolute best bang for the buck for the exhaust is to just take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the resonators off and weld up a piece of exhaust pipe in its place. It only cost me 20 bucks and the difference is amazing! I get comments multiple times a day on how good my challenger sounds!!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Catch Can is an absolute must. Anybody on here that has one will tell you they do their job. I empty mine about every 1-2 months.

As for exhaust. There are not a lot of full Cat Back systems that you could get for under 1K. I think the Solo Mach X would be really close to that price range and is a very good system. Everything else Borla, Corsa, MagnaFlow etc will start at about 1k not including install.

You could also simply go with some Blastin Bobs or just a resonator delete with some after market mufflers. Those set ups sound really nice on these cars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One thing people have failed to mention in this thread is that adding a catch can is not that straightforward. It won't fit with a normal bracket unless you swap the intake (you can use a Charger or SRT intake for budget reasons, or go aftermarket for an intake), because there is a silencer on the stock intake that takes up the space where the catch can would go.

Or you could get a fender bracket to allow you to mount it farther away. Those are more expensive, plus you need longer hose which will also be more expensive. Also some won't fit well with the stock engine cover, so you get into ripping that off, in which case your engine kinda looks like crap if you don't throw on some coil covers.

It is a great thing to add, but you need to plan it out a little bit as far as what you want in the long run.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Speedlogix has the Speedlogix setup (its a Zoomers catback system that is made for Speedlogix) on sale for $999 frequently with free shipping. Im biased since I have Zoomers, but they are awesome. Zero drone on my automatic. Nice deep rumble. Can conversate in cabin with no issues. And I set off 2-3 alarms everyday. :)

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I got the Charger intake tube and mounted it in the standard location. It was pretty straightforward. I reused my stock PCV 90 degree elbow hose for one of the hookups which made it a little easier.

Prior to that I used to have it mounted over on the fender with the stock intake silencer there. That was fine too, I just wanted to shorten the hoses under the hood and stuff.

Zoomers exhaust sounds pretty sweet! My Nova sets off car alarms all the time, but its pretty loud inside the car too haha! I'd like to get a little louder exhaust on the car at some point. It's hard to justify spending that kind of money though when I have a perfectly fine exhaust system right now on the car. My Nova's exhaust was only $300. Zoomers are around $1,500 or so aren't they? They sure sound awesome though. I think if I just did it when I started the car and drove it everyday I could easily justify the expense. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Zoomers exhaust sounds pretty sweet! My Nova sets off car alarms all the time, but its pretty loud inside the car too haha! I'd like to get a little louder exhaust on the car at some point. It's hard to justify spending that kind of money though when I have a perfectly fine exhaust system right now on the car. My Nova's exhaust was only $300. Zoomers are around $1,500 or so aren't they? They sure sound awesome though. I think if I just did it when I started the car and drove it everyday I could easily justify the expense. :)
$999 from Speedlogix when they have them on sale. Zoomers makes them for Speedlogix. Ive been to Frank's place and have seen the boxes ready to be shipped. You will not be disappointed. I agree there are other less expensive options. Look for usef systems. My buddy just got a used for 3 months Corsa extreme set up for $850. Thats $600 off new.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Brettdoo

X2 on the Borla Atak. I absolutely love mine...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts