Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! First time posting here!
I've got a few problems with my 12 SRT, a few aftermarket and a few things that have popped up on things I haven't even touched. I'll start with the OEM.

First thing I noticed was a few days after I bought it last august. (used with under 1000 miles on it) When idling there would be a sporadic shudder noise from the engine. Almost sounded like a mix between loose ball joint going over a small bump and severely lugging the engine. i have no idea what it is, and it seems harmless, as 16000 miles later the problem still exists but the car drives as it should. I should mention it was at warm idle, so 600-700 rpm.

Second thing is sometimes after running the car hard and braking hard, (aggressively passing someone who doesn't know how to drive. I'm a mass hole don't judge.:4-looney:) The vehicle is difficult to get into gear from neutral. and the clutch engages VERY low. I also have difficulty engaging gears sometimes while driving normally. Resulting in a grind. every dealer refuses to look at the clutch. So I finally said screw and bought a mc leod RST. That's going in next week hopefully. And I needed one anyway soon because i learned on this car.

Third OEM thing, and this is what drove me to finally pull the trigger and post this. Is over speed bumps and hard launches/braking i get a creak/squeak from the shifter. I put my finger on the bolt at the back of the shifter and could feel the vibration very strongly. No movement, but big squeak. It sounds just like a dry urethane bushing. But the shifter moves fine (without squeak) side to side and into gears, It's ONLY ON BUMPS. (EDIT) drove the car to the store and by the time i got back the noise was completely gone. what the heck? something must just need some lube. it seems to do this only when cold? anybody ever had to do something like this?

Now for the aftermarket issues, there are only two so far.

First is I bought the razors edge upper control arms and tension arms to get rid of wheel hop, I get a squeak from that. They have urethane bushings but also have a metal insert. So why it squeaks I have no idea. All the bolts are torqued properly.

Second is a pair of badlanz hpe e cutouts. When warm the cutouts don't fully close and when already closed (warmed up closed) they do not open? and when I do get them to open I hear a snap just when it releases? I emailed them, still waiting for a response. Charles has been very helpful in the past with issues. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any insight. (edit) disregard this it seems i just dont know how to use these things properly yet. just simple adjustments should fix all of this.

Other things on the car are a HEMI fever tune, mopar corsa, speedlogix CAI, oil catch can, and viper wheels. Thanks in advance!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
OK, you're about to get a whole lot of Welcome posts, most of which won't address your questions. Enjoy the welcoming comments, wait a day and repost your questions in a separate thread in this forum.

Welcome to the Z!

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,897 Posts
Welcome to the Z from Pa.!!!

Keep in mind the McLeod RST is a good quality clutch but it's less streetable than the OE clutch and it may take you a while to get used to it.

Enjoy the site!!!

:wavey:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome aboard! This site knows its s*&^!!! I was reading that you got the Razor's Edge Upper Control & Tension Arms. Nice! I guess you read that artice too on Mopar Now. I was think of getting that setup.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Not sure on all the questions you asked, but I know in my past experience with polyurethane bushings or pads I always applied a layer of white lithium grease to everything to keep it from squeaking, always seemed to work well for me. You can get tubs of it (not the spray cans) from most auto parts stores and just smear it around on the bushings/pads with your fingers. Just a light layer of the stuff is all I've ever used. I put that stuff all over my bushings/pads on my rear leaf spring parts on my Nova and never had any squeaks.

Sounds like your clutch may have been worn out. My clutch engages pretty high, kind of the same as it did when I first picked it up.

You might want to try changing out the trans oil and going with a synthetic, I've heard many people claim that helped eliminate the notchy shifting. There is also a TSB out for input shaft grease that the dealership should take care of for you if that's the issue. Some cars had the wrong input shaft grease applied and it will cause the shifter to stick in gear sometimes. They just clean the old stuff off, apply the new stuff, and supposedly it works fine again. I never had this issue personally, but there are plenty of threads on here from others who had it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Change your oil to 0w40 and it should smooth out your idle it did for mine

·
Registered
229 Posts
oil

I thought they all came with 0w40 oil . My 09 was filled with mobil 1 0w 40, I now run royal purple 0w40

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought they all came with 0w40 oil . My 09 was filled with mobil 1 0w 40, I now run royal purple 0w40
For some reason they were putting 5w40 in the 11 and up 392's but then said the owners manual was wrong it should take 0w40

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,897 Posts
For some reason they were putting 5w40 in the 11 and up 392's but then said the owners manual was wrong it should take 0w40
Hardly any difference there. :3-smoke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.