Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a day off today, so I didn't waste it. I took a day trip to Valentine, Nebraska. I have a good friend there, called her, and made a lunch date. The drive was about two hours. Once into Nebraska, the drive is straight east about 100 miles. I confess it didn't take me as long as it should! The Challenger was just begging me to give it the freedom to take flight! Honestly, I don't think I drove the 65 mph. speed limit as much as I probably should have. I met about 10-15 cars in those 100 miles. It is a very well maintained road, so there were a few times I was in the triple digits. What an awesome ride it was! It was only 12 degrees this morning when I left, but by the time I got home late this afternoon, it warmed to 50 degrees!

I plan on several posts on this thread as I took my camera along, and by the time I am done posting on this thread, you will have a good idea of what the sandhills of Nebraska look like in the early spring. Wait till they green up this summer, it is amaziing!

When I reached Valentine, I had a little free time before lunch so I went out with the camera, just east of Valentine. The beautiful Niobrara river meanders through the sandhills, so here are a few photos of the river area:

Attachments

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,686 Posts
Beautiful landscapes, Betty! That Challenger almost looks black. Is that yours in silhouette?

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
Nice Betty!!! I really like that area!!!! :smileup:

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a great lunch with my old friend, I gave her a ride in the Challenger, and thought I'd better head to the gas station. I was very pleasantly surprised. Two stations in the town of Valentine, both had premium pure gas!! This town is very isolated in the "middle of nowhere", so I was very glad to fill up the Challenger there.
I headed for home and this is when I sorta went nuts with the camera! I have one picture of a typical ranch that was just off the highway. There are a few small towns in the sandhills. The first town was Kilgore, pop. 99! One photo for you to see. Many old grain elevators in these towns. The next picture is of the sign for the small town of Nenzel, pop. 20! I think if might have consisted of just one store!
I also stopped at a cemetery just outside of the town of Cody. This is a typical small town cemetery out in the middle of nowhere.

Attachments

Reactions: friendoffur

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Love the pics Betty, and your car is looking super great as well! I bet those nice rolling hills look even better all green!

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Third chapter in the Sandhills"

Moving down the highway, I had to take a picture of the sign at Cody. That little town is still surviving in the middle of nowhere. Their famous town sign is on both sides of town, so I am giving both views.
On down the road, I wanted to show you the typical sandhills small lakes that are abundant. They water their cattle, the ducks/geese love them, and fishing is great too! Many windmills in the beautiful Sandhills.

Attachments

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's it for tonight. Final chapter tomorrow!

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Betty, I love the wide open spaces and some very nice sights! Thanks for the pictures! This calls for a snack, I'm dipping fresh strawberries in sugar and soaking up the scenery, LOL!

·
12,990 Posts
That's some beautiful country out there Betty, nice pictures!!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,729 Posts
Great pics Betty, the car looks beautiful.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,558 Posts
Wow, Betty, what a Road Trip! :smileup: Great pics, can't wait to see the rest! :rep:

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Final Chapter

After leaving Cody, I was only about 60 miles to my hometown. I stopped at this nice ranch and snapped a picture of their family ranch sign. As I was driving I noticed the sign to Eli, 2 miles north. The road to Eli was a single lane blacktop. These are very common in the sandhills. Never been to Eli, so I didn't know what to expect. This was a surprise, even to me. No buildings, just a small country church and further to the east a humble home. That was it. If you will take notice of the church and the small building next to it. It was an outhouse! The church is still functioning, so I guess they still need the outhouse! Ha!
My final two shots are of a beautiful typical ranch and the cattle they are now that are now calving.
This trip reminded me of the great freedom that still exists in this country. To be able to drive American muscle freely in the wide open spaces and enjoy observing the ranch lifestyle that has been in the sandhills for well over 100 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Great Pictures. In looking at the Outhouse it looks like it might be a deluxe version. It is wide enough to be a "two holer" although I could never figure out why. The rest of the country calls this flyover country. They just don't know any better.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My reasoning in using several posts is to make the point that these pictures weren't taken in one spot. They are taken over a 100 mile area. Lots of wide open spaces out here in beautiful God's country!! I guess I am not politically correct, I still believe America is God's country. I kind of like flyover country!

·
Registered
235 Posts
These pictures are amazing! I love seeing the wide open country...I'm thinking road trip. :) Thank you for sharing your experience with those of us stuck in the concrete jungles.

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
Love the pics, it's like a mini-vacation for me to see the sights.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts