Discussion Starter #182

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #184

·
Premium Member
16,209 Posts
I miss those. I had two; one was a Shelby Cobra, and the other was the weirdest thing ever, I made from scratch, that barely looked like a car, but could it ever go without jumping the track.
Looked forward to that every Saturday. Me and my Dad built the "Black Spyder". Looked like a skinny Vette and would just suck the track.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Now you did it. I am going to find my 1/32 race track with Dodge Charger, Dodge pickup, and Dodge Coronet.
We will all be waiting for the photos...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
It is "buried" in the basement but as soon as I can "find" it I will post pics. I can't remember if all the "cars" are in the set but will let you know what I find. Stay tuned.
The hobby shop in town had a great track set up us to run them on. The cars didn't come in sets with track, transformers, etc. They were kits we had to assembly and paint with all sorts of parts for modifications available.
1/24 Cox slot car small thread acorn nuts spacers rotating axle American mags • $29.76 - PicClick

Mine looked similar to this assembled before it was painted.
1965 Shelby Cobra Slot Car AMT | eBay

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had a scale 1/4 mile HO drag strip in my basement. We would wind our own armatures sometimes and run them on much higher voltage than the pancake motors liked, but they literally flew. Most of the time, just balancing the armature would turn a so-so motor into a screamer.
I still have a bunch of parts in a box somewhere. To stop them, we cut the rails so there was no power going to the track past the finish line, and we had 12volt light bulbs connected across it to drag the speed of the cars down, and as a final stopping method, a couple of Hot Wheels tracks glued on their sides, pinching the car and a pillow at the end.

A stock one. We always put much wider silicone tires on it, balanced the armature, but the deep drop pickup shoes on them, and in some cases, cut the sides of the chassis down in front of the clip that holds it together for improved cooling.

A duplicate of my killer car with the stock skinny tires and wheels on it. A Mako Shark Corvette. I never really understood why, but that chassis, even with different motor plates on it, was just faster than any other car I ever ran it against. I destroyed the locals up in Detroit in 1973 when a friend of mine and I went up there to race at this hobby store with a drag strip set up in it. My friend ran his much slower car first and he was beating up the local cars, so we both knew my car with it's not great "backup" motor plate, would crush them. And it did. I think they were thrilled to see us leave that day. We were kind of shocked that none of the locals had any balanced armatures. When we pulled out our balancer. they looked like they were seeing aliens. Ours was a hunk of aluminum with a precisely cut V in it with a smoothed up apex. I like this home made one:

Some of the armatures were amazingly bad, some pretty good, and the Mako's original best one were pretty much dead on. But there was something magical in that bottom chassis.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
This is a good summary of many things...
Wow, that was great. Now this one from your video is a great stumper.
Mark VII Limited - Wikipedia

I can come up with an easy dozen more trivia questions from it too...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I b
Wow, that was great. Now this one from your video is a great stumper.
Mark VII Limited - Wikipedia

I can come up with an easy dozen more trivia questions from it too...
IIRC, that was the production company for some TV shows. A "Mark VII" production. But I don't remember which show(s).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Adam12 and Dragnet.
And here are some of the trivia questions I mentioned.

Who starred in Dragnet?
What was his character's name?
What was his badge number?
Who was the costar?
What was his character's name?
And the last one for now, did a character from Adam 12 ever appear in Dragnet?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Going by memory and not google

Webb
Friday, can’t remember the first name
Dont know the badge number
Morgan the costar? Potter from Mash?
can‘t remember the characters name
Adam12 and Dragnet seemed similar and the same producer? I’d be surprised if characters didn’t interchange.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,164 Posts
The title of this thread "A millennial doesn't know."

So I just wonder if they know who said this: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Are they all staying home, isolating, protecting their parents and grandparents.??
They should require all high school students to watch the 1940 movie The Grapes of Wrath. Then they would get some perspective on real hardship. That movie should be an eye opener to all of us living today.

181 - 200 of 224 Posts