Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
well, he isn't getting it. he went with his wife to buy it, she wanted to go for a ride, I was going to drive him. he said, when they got to the lot, it was right out front, reddish orange with white stripes. she said no, and to take her home. when they got back, she stood on my front lawn and yelled at me for trying to get her husband a mid life crisis car. that he needed something sensible and not some testosterone fueled dream. I kind of looked at her drinking my coffee and asked her why, lots of ladies enjoy the challenger and that lots of ladies drive them also. she then told me I would probably still be married I hadn't bought it since it is just a hooligans car. I told her that a) she wanted to take care of her mom and that it was a long time coming since I work like 16 hr days at the restaurant training and cooking b) I work hard to provide for us and why not buy something that I want to enjoy. told her that I served my country and was wounded because of it and that I wasn't going to stand there and be lambasted by someone who only knew to come over and borrow things but never reached out a hand for anybody else. she tried to give me the old stink eye, but my mom did it better god rest her soul and then she walked back to her house. her husband stood there and apologized. so I have been dwelling on this since about 10 a.m. and yes, maybe the mrs didn't leave me to care for her mom, maybe it is the challenger and all the other toys I own. maybe I am being childish, chasing a dream of being young, working out, trying to look good, working my butt off...for what? so I can buy a teenagers car and be 17 again. so, I did what any person would do, I called my soon to be ex and apologized if I have been acting like a kid instead of a man and then went into the garage, changed my 275;s back to the 245's and did a screaming burnout in front of their house. probably took off about 3000 miles off of the new original tires. then parked the challenger, went back inside and have been contemplating life. oh well. stay safe all. yes, I am a childish acting 50+ year old man.
hell i went and bought my car without even talking to my wife about it lol, maybe not the right way to go because this year she went and bought her own summer car, no biggie, life is way to short to not have fun no matter how old you are, once my kids got to the age that having a 4 door was no longer mandatory then that was it, no more 4 doors, right now we have 4 vehicles and all 2 doors

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
it is what it is. I am not the easiest person to live with, if anybody has any greek friends then they know we are kind of wound up tight. its fine. I know that the death of her old man hit her hard, and I know her siblings don't like me because her old man and I were tight cause he was a marine also. none of her brothers went into the military. I bear no ill will towards her, but my neighbors wife just got under my skin. I thank everybody for the kind words. my neighbor came over and said his wife wants me to have the street in front of her house repaved to erase the burnout. I told him I still had two sets of tires for the challenger plus all the other cars so I could just fill in all the divots with more rubber.

·
Premium Member
17,666 Posts
it is what it is. I am not the easiest person to live with, if anybody has any greek friends then they know we are kind of wound up tight. its fine. I know that the death of her old man hit her hard, and I know her siblings don't like me because her old man and I were tight cause he was a marine also. none of her brothers went into the military. I bear no ill will towards her, but my neighbors wife just got under my skin. I thank everybody for the kind words. my neighbor came over and said his wife wants me to have the street in front of her house repaved to erase the burnout. I told him I still had two sets of tires for the challenger plus all the other cars so I could just fill in all the divots with more rubber.
Your male neighbor needs to grow a pair.... quickly. But that's his problem. As far as the miserable,vindictive wife getting under your skin, realize the source and ignore the -----. After all, you are no match for her ignorance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sounds like your neighbor has himself a large problem, she sounds like a real nasty beeotch !! That’d be the day anybody told me what car I could buy, not gonna happen unless they plan on paying for it ! If I were him I’d seriously consider getting rid of her she sounds like a bit much to deal with, yelling at her neighbor really give me a break WTF ! She’ll get herself in trouble someday with her nasty mouth.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
well, he isn't getting it. he went with his wife to buy it, she wanted to go for a ride, I was going to drive him. he said, when they got to the lot, it was right out front, reddish orange with white stripes. she said no, and to take her home. when they got back, she stood on my front lawn and yelled at me for trying to get her husband a mid life crisis car. that he needed something sensible and not some testosterone fueled dream. I kind of looked at her drinking my coffee and asked her why, lots of ladies enjoy the challenger and that lots of ladies drive them also. she then told me I would probably still be married I hadn't bought it since it is just a hooligans car. I told her that a) she wanted to take care of her mom and that it was a long time coming since I work like 16 hr days at the restaurant training and cooking b) I work hard to provide for us and why not buy something that I want to enjoy. told her that I served my country and was wounded because of it and that I wasn't going to stand there and be lambasted by someone who only knew to come over and borrow things but never reached out a hand for anybody else. she tried to give me the old stink eye, but my mom did it better god rest her soul and then she walked back to her house. her husband stood there and apologized. so I have been dwelling on this since about 10 a.m. and yes, maybe the mrs didn't leave me to care for her mom, maybe it is the challenger and all the other toys I own. maybe I am being childish, chasing a dream of being young, working out, trying to look good, working my butt off...for what? so I can buy a teenagers car and be 17 again. so, I did what any person would do, I called my soon to be ex and apologized if I have been acting like a kid instead of a man and then went into the garage, changed my 275;s back to the 245's and did a screaming burnout in front of their house. probably took off about 3000 miles off of the new original tires. then parked the challenger, went back inside and have been contemplating life. oh well. stay safe all. yes, I am a childish acting 50+ year old man.
Man, when reading things like this, I'm glad I married a woman who loves Challengers(and owns one too) and makes sure the sports on TV are DVR'd before we leave the house. She's a keeper.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,736 Posts
Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,736 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
So many guys, and it seems to mostly be guys, can't get what they want because the wife won't let them. It's not a matter of money, it's just "the way it is". A friend I've known for 50 years now is married to a woman I don't think I could stand being married to for a day, let alone the nearly 35 years he's been married to her. She picks where they go on vacation, every time, she picks the movies they go to, she picks where they eat, etc. Even their own daughter thinks mom is "Hitler". He goes along with it, until he flips and has a meltdown of epic proportions about once every 5 years. She cries and it's back to normal. Getting the car he wants is nothing more than a dream that will only come true if she goes before he does and I guess that he can hope for that. I don't see how divorce isn't better. He had his chance...

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,580 Posts
I don't think I would get along with the neighbor's wife very well. You should try being a female and having all those same dreams and feelings about muscle cars! Boy do I feel like lonesome George sometimes! But, when I get in and drive it away, well that just makes all that other stuff go away. I hope you keep the car and maybe people should accept you as you are!! I see nothing wrong with what you enjoy. Nice burnout!!!

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,580 Posts
So many guys, and it seems to mostly be guys, can't get what they want because the wife won't let them. It's not a matter of money, it's just "the way it is". A friend I've known for 50 years now is married to a woman I don't think I could stand being married to for a day, let alone the nearly 35 years he's been married to her. She picks where they go on vacation, every time, she picks the movies they go to, she picks where they eat, etc. Even their own daughter thinks mom is "Hitler". He goes along with it, until he flips and has a meltdown of epic proportions about once every 5 years. She cries and it's back to normal. Getting the car he wants is nothing more than a dream that will only come true if she goes before he does and I guess that he can hope for that. I don't see how divorce isn't better. He had his chance...
Divorce would be better.............after reading that. He just should stand up to her, go get whatever it is that he wants! I have the opposite problem.
"Gary go buy something you want, get that new pickup, that new big machine shed he has been "planning" on buying for the last 5 years." Life is short! Enjoy the few things that you worked so hard for.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
A successful marriage is a give and take. Communication, or "ground rules" have to be set EARLY on in the relationship. When I got married over ten years ago, I told my wife, "Don't ever dictate to me what I can and can't do. I'm a mature person who knows right from wrong and acts accordingly." I retired at 51 and she moved in with me. I take care of most of the expenses. Her money is hers and mine is mine to do as we please. If our budgets allow us to get new cars, we'll tell each other about it and support each other, but she surely doesn't need my approval, nor I hers. If she need help, she knows I have her back and I know she has mine. I tell her, "We all go around once with our life. Do what makes you happy." Control freaks will never be happy or successful. They will destroy a person and a relationship.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Divorce would be better.............after reading that. He just should stand up to her, go get whatever it is that he wants! I have the opposite problem.
"Gary go buy something you want, get that new pickup, that new big machine shed he has been "planning" on buying for the last 5 years." Life is short! Enjoy the few things that you worked so hard for.
Wife and I got away from Challengers for about 6 years. I know, shame on us lol. When she bought one again, driving it gave me the itch to have one again (what a surprise). She told me, "Just get one!" I did. She knows the Challenger is the best car I have every owned. The Challenger speaks to me on so many levels and fits me and my personality like a good leather glove does. It always did.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I don't think I would get along with the neighbor's wife very well. You should try being a female and having all those same dreams and feelings about muscle cars! Boy do I feel like lonesome George sometimes! But, when I get in and drive it away, well that just makes all that other stuff go away. I hope you keep the car and maybe people should accept you as you are!! I see nothing wrong with what you enjoy. Nice burnout!!!
when we first moved in next to them, they were over several times a week. she would go with the mrs on "ladies night", neighborhood bbq nights, I sponsored her kids soccer teams with the restaurant, etc. she frowned down on her husband hanging with me and talking cars/bikes. her husband had expressed interest in working out again and had asked if he could work out with me, which I was more than willing to help him. I had given her recipes, which most chefs do not like to do. so I always thought we were kind of cool. guess not. either way, its easier now since I do not have to interact with her. and yes, maybe she is secretly gloming on yours truly and wants to ride off into the sunset with me. -shudders-

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Good for you MommaBetty. You went get along good with my wife. She's 62 and loves her Challenger and sports. I don't understand why theres so many older people who think that others their age need to stop living and having fun. I think it's just a jealousy thing. Maybe they lived a mundane life and think everyone else has to.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's a weird relationship. It even started out strangely. Her mother worked with him and set them up. He didn't like her much at first, and at one point, had stopped seeing her for a short time, and was dating 2 other women, both from out of town. The closest one was 30 min away and the other almost an hour. Suddenly, she was back in the picture, with the closer of the two out of town women gone. He was driving close to 2 hours 3 days a week or so to see the one, which was killing him, as he had a job with long hours that he hated and spending time with the out of town GF was just crazy. Finally, the out of town GF told him he had to make up his mind, her or "Kelly". He finally decided, and I have no idea why, on "Kelly". It's definitely not for looks, she's not exactly great looking, and neither is he. Unfortunately, their kid is a bad blend of both of them.

They didn't wait long before they got engaged, and about the time she graduated from nursing school, they got married. She had taken firm control of him as soon as they got engaged. I remember he wanted to go to Vegas on vacation before the wedding, and she killed that idea, and they went to Branson, because she loved country music, which he hated, and still does, but anytime she's in the car with him, the Sirius/XM is on one of the country stations. He only gets to listen to what he wants to is when he's alone. At first, he talked endlessly about. "Bailing out!", but as soon as she was pregnant, he switched to, "When the kid turns 18, I'm done!", the kid is like 33 now, and doesn't even live here anymore, and yet, there he is. About the only choices he can make in his life are what he eats and what clothes he wears. She ALWAYS picks where they eat when they eat out. ALWAYS.

When his mom died a while back, his 2 brothers told him that he could have mom's house if he wanted to finally pull the plug, but he said no, and the house was sold instead. He got 1/3 of it, but $40K wouldn't be enough to keep me with her. I would have bailed at the Branson/country music thing before the wedding. Having to listen to that crap for 40-50 years? Hell no. Only thing worse would be Rap. Or opera. At one point he and I were going to go out of town for ONE DAY to something, and she went off the deep end and he decided not to go, "It's not worth all the stress!". I went with another friend whose wife was glad to see him get a free trip (basically, I paid for everything but the meals) to something he really wanted to do. His one brother and I always wondered what was the power she had over him? It wasn't sex, they rarely had it once the kid was born. It's just strange. His 5 year meltdowns are kind of amazing. I saw him have one directed at his mother when we were in high school. If he could just take 1% of that rage and tell her off, his life would be so much better. Alone would be a vast improvement.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,580 Posts
It's a weird relationship. It even started out strangely. Her mother worked with him and set them up. He didn't like her much at first, and at one point, had stopped seeing her for a short time, and was dating 2 other women, both from out of town. The closest one was 30 min away and the other almost an hour. Suddenly, she was back in the picture, with the closer of the two out of town women gone. He was driving close to 2 hours 3 days a week or so to see the one, which was killing him, as he had a job with long hours that he hated and spending time with the out of town GF was just crazy. Finally, the out of town GF told him he had to make up his mind, her or "Kelly". He finally decided, and I have no idea why, on "Kelly". It's definitely not for looks, she's not exactly great looking, and neither is he. Unfortunately, their kid is a bad blend of both of them.

They didn't wait long before they got engaged, and about the time she graduated from nursing school, they got married. She had taken firm control of him as soon as they got engaged. I remember he wanted to go to Vegas on vacation before the wedding, and she killed that idea, and they went to Branson, because she loved country music, which he hated, and still does, but anytime she's in the car with him, the Sirius/XM is on one of the country stations. He only gets to listen to what he wants to is when he's alone. At first, he talked endlessly about. "Bailing out!", but as soon as she was pregnant, he switched to, "When the kid turns 18, I'm done!", the kid is like 33 now, and doesn't even live here anymore, and yet, there he is. About the only choices he can make in his life are what he eats and what clothes he wears. She ALWAYS picks where they eat when they eat out. ALWAYS.

When his mom died a while back, his 2 brothers told him that he could have mom's house if he wanted to finally pull the plug, but he said no, and the house was sold instead. He got 1/3 of it, but $40K wouldn't be enough to keep me with her. I would have bailed at the Branson/country music thing before the wedding. Having to listen to that crap for 40-50 years? Hell no. Only thing worse would be Rap. Or opera. At one point he and I were going to go out of town for ONE DAY to something, and she went off the deep end and he decided not to go, "It's not worth all the stress!". I went with another friend whose wife was glad to see him get a free trip (basically, I paid for everything but the meals) to something he really wanted to do. His one brother and I always wondered what was the power she had over him? It wasn't sex, they rarely had it once the kid was born. It's just strange. His 5 year meltdowns are kind of amazing. I saw him have one directed at his mother when we were in high school. If he could just take 1% of that rage and tell her off, his life would be so much better. Alone would be a vast improvement.
That is a very very sad story. A lot of lessons for the rest of us in there.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts