Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Your experience is why as much as I might like a car I am reluctant to make any real recommendation regarding the car to a friend or family member. If I have had problems with a car I'll share those, sure, but I just push a prospective buyer to consider what he and if there is one a significant other want in the way of a car or motor vehicle and try to play no role in the decision.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,729 Posts
Taming the shrew...

·
Registered
282 Posts
"finally got the green light from his wife to buy a challenger"...I hate it when guys think they have to ask their wife's permission to do anything. 45 years ago that was unheard of except in mindless sitcoms; now it is common. Balls Matter.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think when it comes to a major purchase like a new car, of any make, you guys are kidding yourself if you think it does not need to be a joint decision with your spouse...or you are not married. It’s completely unreasonable to say this unless you both have so much money that you have an understanding with each other to spend as much as you want. That is not the real world or a good relationship. You know the saying “Happy wife, happy life”? Just go out and spend $30,000 or more on a hot rod without your wife’s blessing and see how happy things will be! Personally, I am a lucky man...just celebrated our 42nd, have my cars and happy to say, there is never any yelling.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
"finally got the green light from his wife to buy a challenger"...I hate it when guys think they have to ask their wife's permission to do anything. 45 years ago that was unheard of except in mindless sitcoms; now it is common. Balls Matter.
As I stated in earlier posts, my money is mine and my wife's money is hers. We make sure the monthly obligations are met first and then we are free to do what we want and drive what we want. However, we both still inform the other in what we will do when it comes to a vehicle purchase. We are not looking for each others "green light" permission. It's called advice and respect. Sometimes one can be blinded by what they want so much that they don't see the bigger picture. That's where a spouse's opinion can be invaluable.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
well, he bought a white Toyota camry. I heard her in the yard and wished her a happy mothers day. I got a smile.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
2,958 Posts
Actually, a 2020 Toyota is respectable with the V6 mill in the TRD model. It's somewhere between the SXT and R/T Challengers as far as performance goes from what I've read. The main thing is it's a lot lighter and better handling car than our heavyweights and also stickers less for what you get. Unless you have a 392 equipped Challenger, you might be cautious about getting in a little street race with some of these newer "unassuming" sedans. They very well might put you in your place. I still love all things Challenger, but my comments are meant to reflect a real world "factory stock against factory stock" comparison.;)

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I think when it comes to a major purchase like a new car, of any make, you guys are kidding yourself if you think it does not need to be a joint decision with your spouse...or you are not married. It’s completely unreasonable to say this unless you both have so much money that you have an understanding with each other to spend as much as you want. That is not the real world or a good relationship. You know the saying “Happy wife, happy life”? Just go out and spend $30,000 or more on a hot rod without your wife’s blessing and see how happy things will be! Personally, I am a lucky man...just celebrated our 42nd, have my cars and happy to say, there is never any yelling.
I'm the sole bread winner for my family, and as such, make all the major decisions. That's why I surprised my wife with her own R/T Plus a few years ago. Her comment at the time; she walked around saying "really" about a thousand times over two days...

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I looked up times for a Camry and admit I was surprised. I often question “magazine“ times. They often make multiple runs, correct them to sea level and standard temp and pressure. Sometimes they may or may not be real world. Of course our Challengers are much faster than the magazines say.;)

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ooooh, a Toyota Camry. Ask him if it’s fast.:cool:
Actually, a 2020 Toyota is respectable with the V6 mill in the TRD model. It's somewhere between the SXT and R/T Challengers as far as performance goes from what I've read. The main thing is it's a lot lighter and better handling car than our heavyweights and also stickers less for what you get. Unless you have a 392 equipped Challenger, you might be cautious about getting in a little street race with some of these newer "unassuming" sedans. They very well might put you in your place. I still love all things Challenger, but my comments are meant to reflect a real world "factory stock against factory stock" comparison.;)
i will take a look but i am certain he didn't convince her to get the trd. pretty sure it will be cloth seats and roll up windows. maybe an 8-track with a single rear speaker.

Reactions: Derecho

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
i will take a look but i am certain he didn't convince her to get the trd. pretty sure it will be cloth seats and roll up windows. maybe an 8-track with a single rear speaker.
You forgot to mention the three speed on the column and the AM radio...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
well, he isn't getting it. he went with his wife to buy it, she wanted to go for a ride, I was going to drive him. he said, when they got to the lot, it was right out front, reddish orange with white stripes. she said no, and to take her home. when they got back, she stood on my front lawn and yelled at me for trying to get her husband a mid life crisis car. that he needed something sensible and not some testosterone fueled dream. I kind of looked at her drinking my coffee and asked her why, lots of ladies enjoy the challenger and that lots of ladies drive them also. she then told me I would probably still be married I hadn't bought it since it is just a hooligans car. I told her that a) she wanted to take care of her mom and that it was a long time coming since I work like 16 hr days at the restaurant training and cooking b) I work hard to provide for us and why not buy something that I want to enjoy. told her that I served my country and was wounded because of it and that I wasn't going to stand there and be lambasted by someone who only knew to come over and borrow things but never reached out a hand for anybody else. she tried to give me the old stink eye, but my mom did it better god rest her soul and then she walked back to her house. her husband stood there and apologized. so I have been dwelling on this since about 10 a.m. and yes, maybe the mrs didn't leave me to care for her mom, maybe it is the challenger and all the other toys I own. maybe I am being childish, chasing a dream of being young, working out, trying to look good, working my butt off...for what? so I can buy a teenagers car and be 17 again. so, I did what any person would do, I called my soon to be ex and apologized if I have been acting like a kid instead of a man and then went into the garage, changed my 275;s back to the 245's and did a screaming burnout in front of their house. probably took off about 3000 miles off of the new original tires. then parked the challenger, went back inside and have been contemplating life. oh well. stay safe all. yes, I am a childish acting 50+ year old man.
Some people thinks life is all about being adults, I too have serviced and my wife also she loves the challenger not as much as me but I worked hard and enjoying life is a must for me, when I brought my 2011 RTC in 13 when just just got back from Afghanistan my mom told everyone in my family I was going through a mid life crisis I remember my brother calling me asking what’s going on and I was so confused, I told them I just brought a car now I’m crazy? Well I’m on my second challenger, I’m happy I drive and enjoy it I had my brother drive it and he said sorry. Life I told my family I’m enjoying life they should too

·
Trigger657
2,005 Posts
Some people thinks life is all about being adults, I too have serviced and my wife also she loves the challenger not as much as me but I worked hard and enjoying life is a must for me, when I brought my 2011 RTC in 13 when just just got back from Afghanistan my mom told everyone in my family I was going through a mid life crisis I remember my brother calling me asking what’s going on and I was so confused, I told them I just brought a car now I’m crazy? Well I’m on my second challenger, I’m happy I drive and enjoy it I had my brother drive it and he said sorry. Life I told my family I’m enjoying life they should too
Keep on, keeping on..... (y) :):):):):):):p

·
Premium Member
17,651 Posts
I prefer to think of it as a mid life celebration.

·
Registered
282 Posts
"has finally got the green light from his wife to buy a challenger"...anyone else tired of hearing comments like this? This is not an attack on the OP - I know you were only quoting your p-whipped neighbor - just all these comments that we have subtly been brainwashed into saying over the years by our culture? No shortage of hearing guys say stuff like "My wife won't let me" or "My wife said I could..." This BS is wrong yet it has become the norm. How/when did our society turn to everyday comments (and thinking) like this, where at the same time if some woman said, "I'll have to check with my husband" - the world would explode with feminist war cries.

This kind of BS weak comments have to end. Can you picture an American (or Canadian) man saying this kind of crap in 1961? Nope, I can't either.

·
Trigger657
2,005 Posts
We are having something and I'm thinking it's not a mid-life crisis. I'd rather think of it as 'It's My Wind Down and Enjoy Time Now!'

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
7,887 Posts
"has finally got the green light from his wife to buy a challenger"...anyone else tired of hearing comments like this? This is not an attack on the OP - I know you were only quoting your p-whipped neighbor - just all these comments that we have subtly been brainwashed into saying over the years by our culture? No shortage of hearing guys say stuff like "My wife won't let me" or "My wife said I could..." This BS is wrong yet it has become the norm. How/when did our society turn to everyday comments (and thinking) like this, where at the same time if some woman said, "I'll have to check with my husband" - the world would explode with feminist war cries.

This kind of BS weak comments have to end. Can you picture an American (or Canadian) man saying this kind of crap in 1961? Nope, I can't either.
Some woman pay the bills and some men do, because some woman are bad with balancing their spending and some men are bad with balancing their spending. All spending should be a joint venture for it to work.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts