Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SXT+
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a while but keep coming back to the same questions.
Price vs value vs needs vs wants. I'm hoping to stay under $25k.
Older '09-'10's are pretty cheap, a local one with 19k for $15k, but 3.5L and 5 speed auto. Do I go with that and try to fit a supercharger to it to get decent performance?
'11-'14 have the better V6 but still the 5 speed auto, and dated dashboard, decent ones are in the low $20k range. Redline edition local for $22k, 57k mileage. White paint.(n)
'15 up get the 8 speed, but low mileage decent ones are high $20k, I've seen brand new ones for just a bit over $31k. V6 of course. Had a 2017 Ram with the V6, great motor, hated the knob shifter!
Hemi's are at least $5k over the V6 in any edition.
I don't want black, too hard to keep clean, or white, boring! Missed out on a couple while I dragged my feet debating on them, both hemi's, one Jazzy blue, one purple, both about $27k.
I was just offered a gorgeous 2012 lime green 392 hemi auto for $30k. 18k miles. REALLY want it but am in process of buying a new p/u truck and that would stretch my finances too thin.
I told him if he still has it in the spring, it's mine!
Then there's the "do I really need a hemi" question? They sound great, but I'm 64, and want, but don't need, the performance.
And trying to stay low mileage and therefore low repairs. I don't mind modifying, (lots of racing in my history) just hate constantly fixing worn out stuff or rust, and since I'm in the rust belt.........
Plus, it's going to be the spare/cruiser car, so automatic, so the missus can drive it.
So, anybody seen my perfect Challenger? About a 2017-18, under 30k miles, leather seats, dark blue or dark red, maybe orange or green, automatic V6 for under $25K.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,518 Posts
Welcome to Challenger ForumZ, first a SE 3.5 was only offered 4 Speed Automatic not the 5 Speed.
For 15k that is also nuts of a price. Next no one still makes superchargers for that engine and parts
are very scarce.

It was not till 2011 with the 3.6 and 5 Speed Automatics which was the Birth of the SXT's which was improved
with 305hp at the Engine Flywheel vs the 250hp with the 3.5. The 3.6 brought out a Dual Exhaust vs single.
The 3.6 also has more torque and better fuel economy which is great for a Cruiser. The A5 Automatic is a great
transmission. The Rallye Redline package was a taller gear Rear End, Dual Front Caliper Brakes and Trim Upgrade
they made those in both the SXT and R/T's btw.

As far as what your looking for and price that is part of searching and negotiating, with that id look closely at History of the
Vehicles and signs of any Mechanical and Parts failure, Check around the Rear Wheel Wells for Rust or Bubbles in the paint
in that area.

Prices have jumped on all the Models since the Pandemic and Production Cuts on newer vehicles driving up the market on
the used Challengers. Patience and persistence you will get a better car with more options and lower miles.

Comparing the 3.5 to the 3.6 is night and Day across the board. For performance the 3.6 is the way to go as is,
High Performance parts for the 3.6 not a whole lot for a 3.6 either though. Best fun factor for them is to get a
Banks Pedal Monster which is a Throttle Enhancer to reduce Pedal lag and it a nice wow enhancement.

Oh and the Rallye Redlines Came in Bullet Silver Metallic, Granite Crystal Pearl, Bright White and Pitch Black
The Package was available in 13 and 14 best I remember when I was looking. The Package had Dual Caliper Brakes
Black Chromed Wheels, T Handle Shifter, and Rear End upgrade with the Rallye Stripes.

Finally a Supercharger if your really wanting that much HP gain get a Hemi with several Hundreds of HP upgrades
available vs the 3.5 or the 3.6. You do not also want to put on any kind of Supercharger or Turbo system
on a High Mile Engine or you will gernade it. A 3.5 with that 4 speed not a good trans for HP either. For the total cost
of doing a Super Charger System and such go for a HEMI R/T put a Tune on it and call it day more reliable and will give you
plenty of WOW.

Bill

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Mine is 2010. 5.7 R/T Classic many options and a 6 speed with 17,800 miles. Wanna buy it?
Just kidding!! Not for sale. I love my car !!
Stills smells new jnside.

·
Registered
2018 SXT+
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.
Part of the reason I posted that was just to vent. Part was a conversation starter, I can always learn more about them, and I know there's some very experienced and knowledgeable members here.
With my new truck purchase, and moving some cash around, I could probably get the green hemi, but I think I just talked myself out of it. It would be fun to blast down the strip a couple times, but the rest of the time would be just cruising, errands, going to dinner/visiting, and going to a few shows.
The Redline I looked at was a white '13, there is also a silver '14 close by but the body on that one isn't as good. They do have a pretty cool interior!
I think I need to stick with my "under $25k, '15 or newer" point. There is a Jazzy Blue SXT '15 with 32k on it for $25.8 about 4 hours from me. Very tempting.
I need to wait until I receive the settlement from my parents' estate before I can move on it. Once that cash is burning a hole in my pocket I'll get real serious about it.

·
Registered
2018 SXT+
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't condemn others for their idiotic choices! :LOL::ROFLMAO: Just kidding you.
I know that other people like different things than I do, and I don't mind, it's what makes the world go around.

·
Registered
2018 SXT+
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it!!! Same dealer I'm getting my new to me 2018 truck from. Paid for from sale of Jeep and trade in of 'Vette, plus a little savings.

My new to me 2018 Challenger. 4,140 miles! Inheritance pays for this.
Certified. 2018 Dodge Challenger SXT Octane Red Pearlcoat Clean CARFAX., Navigation, Power Sunroof, Bluetooth, Heated Seats, Cooled Seats, Leather Interior, 20 inch Wheels, Back Up Camera, 8.4 Inch Touch Screen Radio, Heated Steering Wheel, Fully Detailed & Fresh Oil Change, Challenger SE, 2D Coupe, 3.6L V6 24V VVT, 8-Speed Automatic, RWD, 1-Yr SiriusXM Guardian Trial, 1-Yr SiriusXM Radio Service, 276 Watt Amplifier, 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio, 506 Watt Amplifier, 8.4" Touchscreen Display, 9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer, Alpine Audio Group w/Subwoofer, Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Performance Brakes, Bright Pedals, Door Trim Panel w/Ambient Lighting, Front Fog Lamps, HD Radio, Heated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Hectic Mesh Interior Accents, Integrated Center Stack Radio, Leather Trim Seats, Nappa Leather Sport Seat, ParkSense Rear Park Assist System, Power Tilt/Telescope Steering Column, Quick Order Package 21V SXT Plus, Radio: Uconnect 4C w/8.4" Display, Rhombi 2-Pc Wheel Center Cap, Shark Fin Antenna, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Universal Garage Door Opener, Ventilated Front Seats, Wheels: 20" x 8.0" Granite Crystal Aluminum.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Just in case anyone wants to se my truck;
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
congrats. beautiful color for the challenger, but i am biased

·
Registered
2018 SXT+
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to wait a few more days to actually get it, the title isn't back yet. It was only on the lot a couple days.
I should be able to get some better pics of it then.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
59,355 Posts
Got it!!! Same dealer I'm getting my new to me 2018 truck from. Paid for from sale of Jeep and trade in of 'Vette, plus a little savings.

Certified. 2018 Dodge Challenger SXT Octane Red Pearlcoat Clean CARFAX., Navigation, Power Sunroof, Bluetooth, Heated Seats, Cooled Seats, Leather Interior, 20 inch Wheels, Back Up Camera, 8.4 Inch Touch Screen Radio, Heated Steering Wheel, Fully Detailed & Fresh Oil Change, Challenger SE, 2D Coupe, 3.6L V6 24V VVT, 8-Speed Automatic, RWD, 1-Yr SiriusXM Guardian Trial, 1-Yr SiriusXM Radio Service, 276 Watt Amplifier, 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio, 506 Watt Amplifier, 8.4" Touchscreen Display, 9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer, Alpine Audio Group w/Subwoofer, Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Performance Brakes, Bright Pedals, Door Trim Panel w/Ambient Lighting, Front Fog Lamps, HD Radio, Heated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Hectic Mesh Interior Accents, Integrated Center Stack Radio, Leather Trim Seats, Nappa Leather Sport Seat, ParkSense Rear Park Assist System, Power Tilt/Telescope Steering Column, Quick Order Package 21V SXT Plus, Radio: Uconnect 4C w/8.4" Display, Rhombi 2-Pc Wheel Center Cap, Shark Fin Antenna, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Universal Garage Door Opener, Ventilated Front Seats, Wheels: 20" x 8.0" Granite Crystal Aluminum.
View attachment 306730

View attachment 306731
Wow that is an old picture of the Challenger, no leaves on the trees.

·
Registered
2018 SXT+
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are the last 2 carfax entries. I can only assume the car was photo'd at an earlier time.

06/22/2022

• New York
  • Motor Vehicle Dept.
  • Buffalo, NY

• Registration issued or renewed
    • Correction to record
    • Titled or registered as personal vehicle
    • Passed safety inspection
04/07/2022

• New York
  • Inspection Station

• Passed safety inspection
    • Passed emissions inspection

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

View attachment 306730

View attachment 306731
Congrats on both, I hope they serve you well!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts