Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm working on a project that involves the Active Exhaust Actuator, and I had some questions about the wiring harness that connects to the system. The actuator mopar part number is 68420755AA I believe. I can't seem to find the part number for the wiring harness, but the main information I was looking for is how the actuator is powered. I just need to know the power information such as voltage I believe. Anybody know that information for know where I can get the part number? I can always check it manually, but figured if someone here knew already it may save me some time. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
I suspect I know what you have planned. Forget it! The actuators are not simply powered on/off to operate them. They are part of the CAN bus and each actuator has a unique CAN bus address that can not be queried by any other means other than by means of the PCM which controls the entire drive train.
-John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey John, and thanks for the concern. Actually that's not what I'm planning to do. I was considering wiring something underneath the car very close to the Actuators, and it's something that needs very little power. I'm trying to figure out if I can tap into that power there without interfering with the functionality of the actuators.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
Hey John, and thanks for the concern. Actually that's not what I'm planning to do. I was considering wiring something underneath the car very close to the Actuators, and it's something that needs very little power. I'm trying to figure out if I can tap into that power there without interfering with the functionality of the actuators.
Here you go....
-John

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it a GoPro/cam to watch the the valves in action?
No, but that would be cool too. It's basically a man in the middle device for the actuator. The actuator will still be allowed to do what it wants, but I'm putting a device between the actuator and the valve (similar to MFER-1), but it does a bit more than that. It will allow you to get feedback of what the valve is doing if you want though. I'll post the results here once I'm done with a prototype. I'm really only doing it for me, but if others are interested I'll probably make some more.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
No, but that would be cool too. It's basically a man in the middle device for the actuator. The actuator will still be allowed to do what it wants, but I'm putting a device between the actuator and the valve (similar to MFER-1), but it does a bit more than that. It will allow you to get feedback of what the valve is doing if you want though. I'll post the results here once I'm done with a prototype. I'm really only doing it for me, but if others are interested I'll probably make some more.
Can you explain in detail what the end goal is I’m still foggy on it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you explain in detail what the end goal is I’m still foggy on it
The way the MFER-1 sits between the actuator and the butterfly valve it controls, I'm creating a device that sits between it in the same way. Except this device will have a servo attached to it which will take the signals being sent to the actuator, then modify and send them to the servo. So the signal back and forth from the computer to the actuator are never disrupted, so there's no error sent back. But you'll be able to switch back and forth between having the exhaust set as default, fully open, or default+x%.

The middle servo would never allow the exhaust to be closed more than factory allows, only open more. That's the main goal.

Other goals are, because I have a computer down there I'll be able to show what position the stock actuator is in, as well as what the aftermarket servo is doing. Once it's done, I'll show what's going on. I'm a software engineer by profession, so playing with computers connected to hardware is my job. And I enjoy doing it, so I figured I'd make something I wanted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after it’s all said and done it will actually be a controlled on the fly AES with modes like Mustang?
That's the goal. I want it to do a bit more than the mustang's, but I'd be happy if I stopped there as well. I really liked the mustang's system.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That's the goal. I want it to do a bit more than the mustang's, but I'd be happy if I stopped there as well. I really liked the mustang's system.
Think you’re sitting on a gold mine sir! how will it be controlled in the cabin, 3 way momentary or Uconnect ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think you’re sitting on a gold mine sir! how will it be controlled in the cabin, 3 way momentary or Uconnect ?
I haven't decided yet. My first iteration is just going to have a full open, and default switch. So, on will have it move to 100% open, and off will just have it use the factory settings. After that we were planning on adding something a bit more interesting. I have no idea how we'll connect to the Uconnect yet, as I haven't started looking at it. Odds are we'll have some kind of screen connected to it using bluetooth or something else for a demo. After the first iteration is done, I'll probably ask on here and see what most people want, and do that.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
I'm kind of puzzled how you are going to pull this off. The red Hot wire is on constant. The black is ground and the white wire with the tan trace is the CAN bus serial communication wire. You would have to set up a logic analyzer to look at the signals on that wire and try to break the code. I already did that a few years back and got the complete signal train captured and failed to not being able to crack the address code of the actuators let alone the command structure to activate the valves. It is massively complex and proprietary and the description alone on the DVD is complex as to the command structure sent by the PCM. Other than being able to test the operation of the valves with the Wi-Tech device, there is not much else one can do. Had I been able to crack the code, I was going to let a Arduino microcontroller be able to intercept the commands and be able to manually control the valves as I pleased. Major FAIL!
-John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts