Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed the coil springs out of the active exhaust actuators on my scat pack. I watched a video that said the 2019's wont throw a cel. I used some springs from home depot to hold the butterfly's open and mounted the actuators back in place. When you plug the harness back in you can hear them move, I assume it's performing a test on the system. I only drove it a few miles afterward and no issues yet. I will put some miles on the car and keep an eye out for the check engine light. Also... is there a good way of jacking up the rear end? There are a lot of plastic covers underneath and only one small spot near a pinch weld with no plastic to get a jack underneath. My jack has a large pad, and I did not want to damage anything so I cut a piece of 2x4 to fit in the space. It was rather sketchy but worked. I will have to come up with a better solution sometime. My jack stand fit underneath the rear control arm with no problem. The car sounds great, and I can always put it back if I have any issues.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I just removed the coil springs out of the active exhaust actuators on my scat pack. I watched a video that said the 2019's wont throw a cel. I used some springs from home depot to hold the butterfly's open and mounted the actuators back in place. When you plug the harness back in you can hear them move, I assume it's performing a test on the system. I only drove it a few miles afterward and no issues yet. I will put some miles on the car and keep an eye out for the check engine light. Also... is there a good way of jacking up the rear end? There are a lot of plastic covers underneath and only one small spot near a pinch weld with no plastic to get a jack underneath. My jack has a large pad, and I did not want to damage anything so I cut a piece of 2x4 to fit in the space. It was rather sketchy but worked. I will have to come up with a better solution sometime. My jack stand fit underneath the rear control arm with no problem. The car sounds great, and I can always put it back if I have any issues.
Hey Mopar650b-
Have you seen this....
MFER-1

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Guys what exactly does the active exhaust do?

I've seen it listed on many of the Dodge vehicle window stickers, while my wife and I were car shopping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys what exactly does the active exhaust do?

I've seen it listed on many of the Dodge vehicle window stickers, while my wife and I were car shopping.
It controls a butterfly valve inside the exhaust system. The valve has a small diameter hole in it so gasses and sound can still pass through when closed, but some will be blocked. The valve will be open on a cold start, but close once the car warms up. You can have the car idle and listen to it happen after a minute or so of the engine running.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
It controls a butterfly valve inside the exhaust system. The valve has a small diameter hole in it so gasses and sound can still pass through when closed, but some will be blocked. The valve will be open on a cold start, but close once the car warms up. You can have the car idle and listen to it happen after a minute or so of the engine running.
What's the purpose of the valve?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
What's the purpose of the valve?
Actually a pair of valves, one in each exhaust pipe. Quiets the exhaust sound when closed, roars nicely when open. Controlled by the engine computer. Sport mode makes it more "active" so the valves open under more conditions. Track mode even moreso tho I don't have that on my R/T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any CEL after a few months? I wanna try this on my Charger. Also interested in what type of springs you used to keep the valves open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any CEL after a few months? I wanna try this on my Charger. Also interested in what type of springs you used to keep the valves open.
No CEL! Car has been flawless! I just bought a pack of small springs from Home Depot. Pretty thin and maybe 4 inches long. Then just hooked them into the butterfly and I think I hooked the other end up where the actuators mount. I will probably have to replace them eventually when they rust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No CEL! Car has been flawless! I just bought a pack of small springs from Home Depot. Pretty thin and maybe 4 inches long. Then just hooked them into the butterfly and I think I hooked the other end up where the actuators mount. I will probably have to replace them eventually when they rust.
I took the springs out and used a lock pin to lock the valve open, bolted the actuator back up and plugged it in. Couple miles and I got CEL. Not sure why. It's a 2019 Charger. I'll double check my work in a minute

1 - 12 of 12 Posts