Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was playing around with my sweet touchscreen today trying to figure out how to get my iTunes from my phone to play through the system and I came upon these two screens...

I have a few questions really. First, what the heck am I doing? Can I play straight from my phone through the system? Or will it be easier to download all the music from my phone to the HDD files? And if so, do I download from phone to HDD or phone - computer - disc - HDD? I know I know, I'm young and not tech savvy, what's the world coming to?! :i_rolleyes:

I just hate listening to the radio and my CD collection sucks, I've got a lot of iTunes songs I would rather listen to and am trying to figure out the easiest route to do this with the least amount of headache! Halp! :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
You should be able to play straight from your phone, as well as a USB thumb drive opening the cover in the bottom right. I don't understand the value of HDD options any more, as it seems so effort intensive compared to putting in a thumb drive and taking it out when you want to change up your tunes. I have a 2GB thumb drive I plug in my center console and put on shuffle, and that suits me just fine. When I want a change it's much easier than removing and readding to the HDD.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to play straight from your phone, as well as a USB thumb drive opening the cover in the bottom right......I have a 2GB thumb drive I plug in my center console and put on shuffle, and that suits me just fine. When I want a change it's much easier than removing and readding to the HDD.
Thumb drive sounds like a winner! Good suggestion :smileup:
Need to spread some reps around before I can get ya again, thanks!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,463 Posts
Dave,
If you think you aren't tech savy, well you should be my age! When I first got my car, I downloaded a few CD's to the HDD. It took forever!!! My son got me an ipod and that just solved the problem. All of my music is plugged into the center console with a full screen to use for playlists, artists, etc. I love it!! Can't see why your phone wouldn't do this too, or a thumb drive! Then again, don't ask me cause I took 6 months to download pictures to the forum!!

Reactions: jklotz10

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,
If you think you aren't tech savy, well you should be my age! When I first got my car, I downloaded a few CD's to the HDD. It took forever!!! My son got me an ipod and that just solved the problem. All of my music is plugged into the center console with a full screen to use for playlists, artists, etc. I love it!! Can't see why your phone wouldn't do this too, or a thumb drive! Then again, don't ask me cause I took 6 months to download pictures to the forum!!
Well I won't poke fun of ya for the picture thing if you don't poke fun at me for not knowing how to work this dang blasted radio lol! :gy:

I'm gonna see if I can find my old trusty college thumb drive and see if it's as easy as downloading music to it and plug and play. If it is I'll be one happy music listening, Hemi driving sonuvagun! If not, I'm sure I'll post some more questions with my head held low for not being able to figure all this tech stuff out, it's all smoke and mirrors to me!

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I don't like Apple Ipod or it's Windows app. I save music files via window explorer (create a folder, name it, ex. Vol 1) then save it on PC. From there I save it to a USB drive and 'upload' it onto the 30 GB HD. I have so much 60's & 70's music it's sick. Then I just browse and play from my playlist. Hey, I'm sitting on the dock of the bay...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't like Apple Ipod or it's Windows app. I save music files via window explorer (create a folder, name it, ex. Vol 1) then save it on PC. From there I save it to a USB drive and 'upload' it onto the 30 GB HD. I have so much 60's & 70's music it's sick. Then I just browse and play from my playlist. Hey, I'm sitting on the dock of the bay...
Well I don't have an iPod! All I can tell you is all the music is on my iPhone, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to transfer it to my laptop then a USB drive. As far as saving files in a certain manner, I guess I'll figure it out as I go along. I'll probably try to save one on the thumb drive and if it works in the car do the rest! With tech it always takes me 2 or 3 tries before I get something right :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well I don't have an iPod! All I can tell you is all the music is on my iPhone, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to transfer it to my laptop then a USB drive. As far as saving files in a certain manner, I guess I'll figure it out as I go along. I'll probably try to save one on the thumb drive and if it works in the car do the rest! With tech it always takes me 2 or 3 tries before I get something right :4-dontknow:
Dave, you should be able to play directly from your iPhone, either through the USB cable (and the same connection for your thumb drive) or through bluetooth connection. If you want, I can PM you my phone number and we can chat through it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, you should be able to play directly from your iPhone, either through the USB cable (and the same connection for your thumb drive) or through bluetooth connection. If you want, I can PM you my phone number and we can chat through it.
That would be to totally fine. I was actually trying to figure out the Bluetooth thing earlier (cuz I don't have my phone cord with me) and it was like a deer staring in headlights, no clue. :4-dontknow:

I would like to know how to play straight from my phone, but the optimal thing for me would be bypassing the phone altogether. I use my cell so much for work I need all the juice I can get, would rather not waste it on something (like this) if I can avoid it. :smileup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
That would be to totally fine. I was actually trying to figure out the Bluetooth thing earlier (cuz I don't have my phone cord with me) and it was like a deer staring in headlights, no clue. :4-dontknow:

I would like to know how to play straight from my phone, but the optimal thing for me would be bypassing the phone altogether. I use my cell so much for work I need all the juice I can get, would rather not waste it on something (like this) if I can avoid it. :smileup:
PM sent. Do you have the 12V outlet in your center console? I plug in my phone using the 12v USB phone adapter to charge while I'm driving (my battery life is horrible).

The other thing you might be able to do is plug your iPhone in using your phone/USB cable and get a charge while listening to the tunes, bypassing the bluetooth altogether. However, having bluetooth hooked up, depending on your model, you can then take calls handsfree.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts

Dave...if you connect your iphone to the car via the Apple USB cord the phone will stay charged while you play tunes from it. AND the sound is better than bluetooth.

I have a USB stick that I use in my company vehicle. When I add songs to that, I'll also plug it into the head unit in my Challenger and transfer the new songs to the HDD. No big deal, certainly not a chore. And it keeps the same music in my Challenger as in my company car. The only thing I listen to from my iphone is podcasts. I could upload those to the HDD too but I delete them right after listening to one, so it's not really worth it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hey so this is probably a dumb question. but if I connect the Iphone/Ipod to the USB connection port and leave it there (as I have a few of these lying around), will it kill the batter by trying to keep it charged?

I ask because the HDD thing is a MAJOR PITA and I'm frankly tired of dealing with it every time I want to change one little thing. However I use a Samsung phone and would rather just leave an old music player connected and such in the middle console.

Anyone do this or have any thoughts on how long till it kills the battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm a bit tech challenged myself but for me downloading from my PC on to a usb flash drive is very simple and then just plug it in and your voice command will play anything you want, by artist, by song whatever you feel like listening to, easy peasy. then you don't have to have a ipod laying around or run your phone and if you want to add songs just take the usb stick out and add them from your PC and it uses no juice from your battery.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,463 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. I leave my ipod in the car, hooked up all the time. Never take it out, except in the winter when it is really cold. Ipod doesn't work well when it is super cold. No batteries problems in over a year!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. I leave my ipod in the car, hooked up all the time. Never take it out, except in the winter when it is really cold. Ipod doesn't work well when it is super cold. No batteries problems in over a year!
Thats why the usb flash drive is great you never have to take it out unless you want to add new songs, and I've never had a problem with it in the heat or cold plus it takes up very little room in your console.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
USB flash drive is a great way to go, really. If I didn't have my phone cable plugged into the console USB to keep my phone charged, I'd do the USB stick method too.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
I have an ipod in my center console that never ever comes out except to load new songs on. Does nothing negative to the battery. I don't know if that is an SRT option only, the ipod specific jack in the center console, that is. Ipod is buried on the bottom. Head unit touch screen has all the controls on it. I have never tried the thumb drive option as I just have never needed it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
hey so this is probably a dumb question. but if I connect the Iphone/Ipod to the USB connection port and leave it there (as I have a few of these lying around), will it kill the batter by trying to keep it charged?

I ask because the HDD thing is a MAJOR PITA and I'm frankly tired of dealing with it every time I want to change one little thing. However I use a Samsung phone and would rather just leave an old music player connected and such in the middle console.

Anyone do this or have any thoughts on how long till it kills the battery?

Thanks
I have an old iPhone 3 loaded with 4000 songs that I keep plugged in permanently in the console, works great

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should be able to play straight from your phone, as well as a USB thumb drive opening the cover in the bottom right. I don't understand the value of HDD options any more, as it seems so effort intensive compared to putting in a thumb drive and taking it out when you want to change up your tunes. I have a 2GB thumb drive I plug in my center console and put on shuffle, and that suits me just fine. When I want a change it's much easier than removing and readding to the HDD.
I totally agree with you on this. I tried out the HDD and found it much easier to just use a thumb drive. Also, it takes foreeeveeeerrr to put a bunch of songs onto the HDD and on top of that it crashed on me twice, so I had to start from scratch again.

File management is easy with the thumb drive being that the factory stereo recognizes files that are on your thumb drive enabling you to store genres, albums, or whatever you like into different folders and easily access the folders on the touch screen.

Great place to buy thumb drives that I've been ordering from for years:

http://www.rakuten.com/sr/searchresults.aspx?qu=usb+thumb+drive&suggest=1

1 - 20 of 25 Posts