Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Example --- prior to HP incentive, dealer was advertising/website $43k Sales Price on $52k MSRP Scat Pack.

After the HP incentive, dealer doesn't make any change to the $43k advertised Sales Price.

Safe to assume the "new" price is $38k ($43k less the $4,850 HP incentive)??????

Or is the HP incentive too good to be true? Where a dealer might say "Hey, my price was already low, so I'm not going to lower the full $4,850."

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
4,214 Posts
The first thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturer is the one forking over the $10 per HP rebate, not the dealer. Of course the dealer may want you to 'think' they are the ones taking the loss from the factory rebate, but in actuality it's not costing them a lead cent.

What you need to do is to get the dealers best offer off the sticker price (to get 'HIS' discount) and then deduct whatever the factory rebate is from that at the end of the negotiation process. Beware that some dealers will try to tack on phony charges to recoup whatever discount they appear to give you so you have to be willing to walk out at some point if it's obvious they are playing games. If you've got another dealer nearby it would be a good idea to see what they have to offer price-wise as well if they have a car in stock you like.

To start things off I'd say 20% off sticker this time of the year would be a good starting point in negotiations. Don't forget that you can also try and get them to discount an extended factory warranty package if you would like one and work it into the bargaining process too. Just be sure it's a genuine FCA extended warranty and not aftermarket.

Also, don't mention a trade-in if you have one until you deal down to the price you want on buying the car outright first. They'll try to use that to recoup some of their dealer discount on the new car too if you mention it. Try and be friendly, but always be willing to take the walk out the door "to shop around" more.;)

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've run into the same problems and all the dealers I've looked into are playing the games. For the places advertising the biggest discounts, you usually have to qualify for all the incentives and most nobody does or its employee pricing or they have added fees, ect. I was just inquiring about one last night that was only advertising for a little over 5k off, so I was thinking the new incentive has to be off of that price but they refused to give me a final price and wanted me to come in. All the places I'm thinking of going are at least 2 hours away, so I have to try to pick and choose which direction I want to go for a road trip that day. Good luck finding one for 20% off. The best I was realistically hoping for was about 15% off, but if you find a place that will do better, please let us know.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
4,214 Posts
Good luck finding one for 20% off. The best I was realistically hoping for was about 15% off, but if you find a place that will do better, please let us know.
Just to clarify, the 20% off is what you should offer initially to start the negotiation process because the dealer naturally wants to stay as close to list price as they can. It's just a starting point and then you will go back and forth with counter-offers from my experiences.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've run into the same problems and all the dealers I've looked into are playing the games. For the places advertising the biggest discounts, you usually have to qualify for all the incentives and most nobody does or its employee pricing or they have added fees, ect. I was just inquiring about one last night that was only advertising for a little over 5k off, so I was thinking the new incentive has to be off of that price but they refused to give me a final price and wanted me to come in. All the places I'm thinking of going are at least 2 hours away, so I have to try to pick and choose which direction I want to go for a road trip that day. Good luck finding one for 20% off. The best I was realistically hoping for was about 15% off, but if you find a place that will do better, please let us know.
This is the Virginia/DC area. One dealer with about (70) 2019 Challengers, and another with 30. I've dealt with both, and they didn't play games on the Internet/discount price. Their Processing/paperwork Fee is relatively high, but even with the Fee, their prices are tough to beat.

But I've been sniffing around for a Scat Pack and/or Widebody since July, so I basically memorized every MSRP and Internet Price. When the HP incentive was announced in August, they didn't reduce any of the prices by an additional $3,750, $4,850, etc.

Oh well. Certainly don't *need* a new car right now, so I can wait this out. I'll probably wait until end-of-month, and check back.

·
Mr. Bill
2009 SRT8
4,217 Posts
Vienna, VA dealership? Lots of inventory. Been eye balling there myself just out of curiosity.
Not ready for new at this time by a long shot. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI, for those with USAA insurance, they have a $1000 off coupon for Challengers (among other brands). Didn't apply to Hellcats or Demons but it did to Scat Packs. That brought my deal to just over 17% off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up a 19 B5 blue WB 6 speed SP with interior and driver convenience for $44k all in, out the door. A hair more than 20% off MSRP. In California, Bay Area to boot. They also gave me more than anyone else for my 16 Charger SP. Deals are out there.
South County CJDR in Gilroy.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I inquired about a WB advertised in the LA area too at a decent price. Its optioned just about how I would want it, but I'm sure to have it shipped here would eat up most of the discount.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I inquired about a WB advertised in the LA area too at a decent price. Its optioned just about how I would want it, but I'm sure to have it shipped here would eat up most of the discount.
Have you thought about getting a 1 way airline ticket? Then driving it back

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got mine last week (12K off of MSRP), flew to VA and drove home (240 miles). was a blast. could not pass up the savings deal.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I got mine last week (12K off of MSRP), flew to VA and drove home (240 miles). was a blast. could not pass up the savings deal.
Wow, you actually got 12k off? I've noticed a few with advertised sales prices close to that, but after inquiring there is always a catch like you must qualify for all the incentives, qualify for employee pricing or they add some of their own fees and/or don't include destination in the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, you actually got 12k off? I've noticed a few with advertised sales prices close to that, but after inquiring there is always a catch like you must qualify for all the incentives, qualify for employee pricing or they add some of their own fees and/or don't include destination in the price.
you are correct, there are always the added fees such as destination etc. I did not qualify for all the incentives but told them if they honored the internet price that I would purchase. my 12k savings doses not include tags, destination, or tax. that was an extra 4K+. But still a great deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you are correct, there are always the added fees such as destination etc. I did not qualify for all the incentives but told them if they honored the internet price that I would purchase. my 12k savings doses not include tags, destination, or tax. that was an extra 4K+. But still a great deal.
Let me guess, Fair Oaks dealership? I know their Octane Red WB dropped-off the website a few days ago. I was looking at that one!

Congrats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vienna, VA dealership? Lots of inventory. Been eye balling there myself just out of curiosity.
Not ready for new at this time by a long shot. :)
Yes, the Vienna (Tysons) dealership. Great selection, and reasonable prices.

Well, unless you don't like black Challengers, and the sun-roof. That narrows it down.

Man, they love ordering with the sun-roof.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts