Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Advice needed on routing wire for new speaker

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Erodjr79 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 R/T Scat Pack with the SG1 277 watt amp and six alpine speakers. I was very disappointed by the sound quality and want to do an upgrade. After much research I've settled on upgrading the six factory speakers to the Infinity Reference series. I also plan to upgrade the 277 watt amp to the 504 watt amp from the SG2 option. The 504 watt amp is a direct plug for plug swap with the smaller amp but provides a little more power to drive the Infinity's that have a higher rating than the factory speakers. The new amp also provides a powered output for a small 8" sub-woofer that would have been included had I taken the SG2 option and is located in a factory location in the center of the rear shelf. I would also like to add this 8" sub and take advantage of the powered output that is available with the amp upgrade. Unfortunately Dodge in their wisdom now use specific speaker harnesses based on the audio option at build time. This means that the connector shell that plugs into the amp has empty pins at the sub woofer output and there is no wire running from the amp to the rear shelf for the sub.

My goal is simply to improve the audio quality to an acceptable standard, I'm not looking to do a major upgrade with third party amps, processors and enclosed subs etc. I want to use factory amp and speaker locations and stock harnesses to keep the car as original as possible. I am comfortable adding pins and cable to the stock amp connector to drive the sub but I don't know how to very cleanly route the wire from the amp to the rear deck in the same way (or close) as it would have been done at the factory.

Any advice on how and where to route this wire?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have in the past run a wire from the front of the car under the plastic threshold covers there are plenty of wires there so you can just follow them and split off at the rear seat.

#3 ·
Hi Floydy, I have a 2018 SXT Plus with the SG1 276 Watt Alpine Amp System. I've upgrade the speakers as well but am looking for a little more wattage without going the Idata DSP route/ trunk aftermarket amp setup that a lot folks are doing. Are you sure the amps are true direct plug for plug swap? I have call around to a bunch of dealers and nobody could give me an answer. What part # of the 506 amp are you looking at? 68425658AB part #? Wonder if different model car and year make a difference. Thanks, look forward to you reply

#4 ·
Hi Jly212, Yes, I am positive they are plug and play but here are some important things to keep in mind:

1. If you have SG1 (276W) then the plug is the same as the plug for the SG2 amp (506W) BUT the wires in the plug for the sub, center tweeter and rear tweeters are not present in the plug housing in your cars wiring harness.

2. This is the big one!! If you intend to continue to power only six speakers the 506W amp will NOT give you any more power than the 276!! Here's why... the wattage is a measurement of the total amp output across all channels. The 276W amp is a 6 channel amp so: 276 / 6 = 46. In other words the wattage per channel (i.e. per speaker) is 46 watts peak or about 20 watts RMS). The 506W amp is a 11 channel amp (9 regular speakers plus two sub channels) so: 506 / 11 = 46. In other words over 6 channels both amps will give you identical output. The ONLY way you will get value upgrading to the 506W amp is if you also add in the other channels (center, rear and sub) BUT those other channels are surround sound with heavy DSP and in my humble opinion screw up most music recorded for a stereo sound stage.

Here's what I did and I LOVE the result.

1. Kept the original 276 W amp
2. Replaced the two dash speaker with Infinity REF-3032cfx - HUGE improvement in the top end. You can actually hear the crash cymbal!
2. Replaced the two front door speakers with Infinity REF-9632ix - massive improvement in the tightness of the the bass and instrument separation (clarity) in the mid ranges
3. Replaced the rear deck speakers with Infinity REF-6532ex - noticeable improvement across the full spectrum
4. Tapped into the left rear speaker and added the Rockford Fosgate P300-10 powered sub in the trunk to give a nice bottom end that you can feel but isn't obnoxious and is easily wired to the battery in the trunk.

For me I now have great quality audio, plenty of volume and a nice satisfying bass you can feel in your chest but doesn't lower the property values in your neighborhood!. Total cost $250 for the speakers and about $240 for the sub. Modest investment with results well exceeding the cost!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.