Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am driving my SP down from British Columbia Canada to Phoenix this November to spend a few months in your beautiful part of the world. I know we will hit snow on the way down from Canada as we will be going over some high mountain passes. Can any of you knowledgeable folks recommend a place in the Metro Phoenix area, where either (ideally) I can self/bucket wash it myself, or failing that, a touchless drive through car wash that will soak the heck out of the underside to get rid of all the salt and other crap I'll have pu on the drive down? Many thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,018 Posts
Hello! I am driving my SP down from British Columbia Canada to Phoenix this November to spend a few months in your beautiful part of the world. I know we will hit snow on the way down from Canada as we will be going over some high mountain passes. Can any of you knowledgeable folks recommend a place in the Metro Phoenix area, where either (ideally) I can self/bucket wash it myself, or failing that, a touchless drive through car wash that will soak the heck out of the underside to get rid of all the salt and other crap I'll have pu on the drive down? Many thanks in advance for your advice!
On long road trips my goto car wash was to drive my car in a rain storm. The rain removed bugs and the water from the road rinsed the undercarriage in a way a car wash couldn't. (One time east bound on I-40 ran into a swarm of grasshoppers. In not time the windshield was a mess. Couldn't use the wipers. A truck driver reported over the CB radio he tried that and the wipers just smeared the bug guts around and made the view out even worse. Weather reports from drivers heading the other direction (west) reported a heavy rain storm not far behind them. Drove on and ran into a pretty heavy rain. In just a short while all traces of the grasshoppers was gone.)

I dare say from BC to AZ you'll encounter a rain storm.

On the possibility you do not encounter any rain while I'm not familiar with the Phoenix area there has to be a DIY car wash to which you can take your car and give it a thorough rinsing from the top down and then from underneath.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,323 Posts
Reactions: KrazMom

·
They see me rollin...
1,276 Posts
Hello! I will look around for you. I don't do drive thrus at all so I have no idea what is touchless and what is not. There are coin operated wash bays around still. Not sure they help with getting underneath though.

Reactions: Roywane3

·
Premium Member
12,017 Posts
I have found traveling by motorcycle that the hotels/ motels have let me use their water hose without issue. I haven't had a long trip in my car yet. The brushless car washes usually have a undercarriage spray that you drive over slowly into the wash. I know that most do in the northern states.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello! I will look around for you. I don't do drive thrus at all so I have no idea what is touchless and what is not. There are coin operated wash bays around still. Not sure they help with getting underneath though.
Thanks so much! Ideally, I am hoping to find a "you-wash" place as I would rather bucket wash it myself, but I gather a lot of those places don't let you bucket wash it as it holds up the other folks waiting in line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have found traveling by motorcycle that the hotels/ motels have let me use their water hose without issue. I haven't had a long trip in my car yet. The brushless car washes usually have a undercarriage spray that you drive over slowly into the wash. I know that most do in the northern states.
Thanks, I had not thought of washing it at a motel - that is a really good idea!

Yep, I want to get all the sand and salt out of the fender seams - I have lived in parts of northern Canada and I know what that muck does to your car if it is not thoroughly cleaned out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On long road trips my goto car wash was to drive my car in a rain storm. The rain removed bugs and the water from the road rinsed the undercarriage in a way a car wash couldn't. (One time east bound on I-40 ran into a swarm of grasshoppers. In not time the windshield was a mess. Couldn't use the wipers. A truck driver reported over the CB radio he tried that and the wipers just smeared the bug guts around and made the view out even worse. Weather reports from drivers heading the other direction (west) reported a heavy rain storm not far behind them. Drove on and ran into a pretty heavy rain. In just a short while all traces of the grasshoppers was gone.)

I dare say from BC to AZ you'll encounter a rain storm.

On the possibility you do not encounter any rain while I'm not familiar with the Phoenix area there has to be a DIY car wash to which you can take your car and give it a thorough rinsing from the top down and then from underneath.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy smokes I thought road salt was all I had to worry about on the trip - now I'll have to watch for hordes of grasshoppers!! :p.

Thanks!

·
They see me rollin...
1,276 Posts
I don't know what part of Phoenix you will be in but there are more coin op type car washes than I initially though. If you can narrow down an area I can send you the list I found.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know what part of Phoenix you will be in but there are more coin op type car washes than I initially though. If you can narrow down an area I can send you the list I found.
First couple weeks I will be in Sun City and after that I will be in Scottsdale for a couple of months, just east of the Scottsdale airport. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts