Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone ... Is there anything I can do to get a deeper exhaust sound from my SXT? I noticed that when I started it today it was very quiet (almost like our SUV) :D. Would like to have a little sound to go with the looks of this car. Thanks in advance.

Jamie

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
You'll have to change/alter either the existing setup or do a catback... Which route were you thinking of going...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I originally went with Magnaflows 11256 swapping the mufflers and deleted the resonators... Very happy with that setup deep growl only loud when you stomp on it and no drone... Later did a catback (Solo performance) also very happy with that set up and absolutely no drone... Hope this helps which ever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you just want a SMALL growl when you step on it, you can add a cold air intake, although a muffler swap will be more bang for your buck.

Like Shooterjgs, I had Magnaflow 11256’s for about a year(“Different Trends” brand clones). They sound great. Not toooo loud while cruising but they scream when you get on it. And NO DRONE! It’s a fairly tame sound, kind of European/exotic. No joke, the only time I ever heard anything sound close was when I got my butt handed to me by a Porsche GT4. Even my fiancé commented “woah, it sounds just like yours.”

If you want something a little more wild/loud check out BlacktopShady’s Cherry Bomb Vortex set up and his latest Total Flow with resonators.
I think BlacktopShady’s Vortex mufflers lost their sound packing over time, and I also had a pair where one was starting to do the same.. so the quality isn’t the best, but they sound mean and handle drone really well.

Definitely check out BlacktopShady’s setups if you want something more wild than the Magnaflows.

As for full catback exhausts..
Borla
Solo

If cost isn’t a big deal and you want something that sounds mean, I’d personally go with the Borla ATAK.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Wow, thanks you guys!!

The Cherrybomb Vortex with no resonators and Quad tips was definitely one of my favorites when I first got it but as Babcack stated, it got really raspy over the 2 years that I had them installed to the point where I ended up changing them out. This is when I first got them:

This was a few months back after they had been broken in. You can definitely hear how much louder they got. I even tried adding glasspacks to tone it down but they don't work as well with the Cherrybombs:

Here is my current set-up:

I got a lot of inspiration from Babcack to be honest who threw out the idea of getting an H-Pipe. I personally like the H-pipe which will give the exhaust a deeper sound over the x-pipe which will cause a bit more rasp. The Total Flow resonators are Flowmaster Super 10 replicas. They're loud so I also placed glasspacks at the end where the stock resonators were to tame the sound. They really wake up when you press the gas aren't too drone-y with just the right amount of throatiness for our cars. It's the best set-up I've had in my opinion.

I always tell people some engine mods will compliment the exhaust note too. A decent CAI will also make somewhat of a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you just want a SMALL growl when you step on it, you can add a cold air intake, although a muffler swap will be more bang for your buck.

Like Shooterjgs, I had Magnaflow 11256’s for about a year(“Different Trends” brand clones). They sound great. Not toooo loud while cruising but they scream when you get on it. And NO DRONE! It’s a fairly tame sound, kind of European/exotic. No joke, the only time I ever heard anything sound close was when I got my butt handed to me by a Porsche GT4. Even my fiancé commented “woah, it sounds just like yours.”

If you want something a little more wild/loud check out BlacktopShady’s Cherry Bomb Vortex set up and his latest Total Flow with resonators.
I think BlacktopShady’s Vortex mufflers lost their sound packing over time, and I also had a pair where one was starting to do the same.. so the quality isn’t the best, but they sound mean and handle drone really well.

Definitely check out BlacktopShady’s setups if you want something more wild than the Magnaflows.

As for full catback exhausts..
Borla
Solo

If cost isn’t a big deal and you want something that sounds mean, I’d personally go with the Borla ATAK.
I definitely will take inspiration from this set up, just a quick question though, What cold air intake did you have?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on DT Flow ll 49265 mufflers with Res delete, then I saw this.
So what is the best setup without losing your mpg?
I feel if I'm gonna lose my gas mileage, or spend over 2k, why not just get an R/T.
This is the issue I'm dealing with now. I love my car, but I hate how it sounds.
So what is the best deep sound; that's at start up or mashing on the gas, without that Honda sound?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Get the RT if you want a deep rumble. I have the V6 and am happy enough. You can tweak the sound, but you can't get a V8 rumble from the V6. Better gas mileage and insurance comes with a cost.

Reactions: Thebabcack

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get the RT if you want a deep rumble. I have the V6 and am happy enough. You can tweak the sound, but you can't get a V8 rumble from the V6. Better gas mileage and insurance comes with a cost.
I'm not gonna lie like some of these guys and say I don't care if it doesn't sound like a Hemi, because I bet if there was a setup to sound like a Hemi, they would have got it by now.

However, being that I've never owned a Hemi, I REALLY don't know what I'm missing, I just know my Chevy Tahoe sounds better than my sports car.

I look at it this way; V8 Camaros, and V8 Mustangs sound different than a V8 Challenger, but yet they all have that muscle car sound.
So what I'm saying is, I've come to accept that it won't sound like a V8 Challenger, but can I still get that deep rumble of a Muscle car sound without spending 2k or losing mpg since it's a daily driver?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So what I'm saying is, I've come to accept that it won't sound like a V8 Challenger, but can I still get that deep rumble of a Muscle car sound without spending 2k or losing mpg since it's a daily driver?
I agree here. Does anyone have anything that'd have little to no drone but sounds good under load with a grumble, hopefully without killing my mpg?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on DT Flow ll 49265 mufflers with Res delete, then I saw this.
So what is the best setup without losing your mpg?
I feel if I'm gonna lose my gas mileage, or spend over 2k, why not just get an R/T.
This is the issue I'm dealing with now. I love my car, but I hate how it sounds.
So what is the best deep sound; that's at start up or mashing on the gas, without that Honda sound?
I just bought a 2020 GT I'm experiencing the same problem. I've been looking at exhaust videos for weeks. What did you end up getting and any advice on a set up I think we are looking for a similar sound.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just bought a 2020 GT I'm experiencing the same problem. I've been looking at exhaust videos for weeks. What did you end up getting and any advice on a set up I think we are looking for a similar sound.
I'll say this before answering the question.
Chasing that sound with a Challenger V6 will end up 1 of 2 ways. Coming to terms that it will never have that muscle car sound or spend extra money on getting a V8 vehicle.

For now I stayed with the Different Trends Flow II mufflers. Wasn't expensive. Cost me $74.00 for the mufflers and $240.00 to have the Resonators removed/deleted and new mufflers installed.

If I had a chance to do it over, I would have got the Borla S-Type full exhaust system.
The only reason I would pass on the Borla ATAK is how it sounds at high RPMs. The Borla rep said the S-Type will hold a deeper sound through out RPMs.

So this the price your are looking at minus installation.
DT Flow II around $74-$100 for both mufflers
Borla $1,300 - 1,420 for complete setup

One thing I can say is the Borla's have that muscle car sound at idle, but that's about it.
The moment you gas it, it sounds like a European sports car.

For me I may spring for the Borla when I get new tires. God willing, I will be giving my SXT to my daughter in a couple of years and my next ride will either be a Wide Body Shaker or the new C8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey thanks for the advice I'm leaning towards dual cherry bomb vortex with glass packs. I love the way blacktopshady sounds it's just a little too loud for me. One more question with this set up any advice on going true duel or leaving the x pipe in. You have any videos of your set up? And I totally agree with you when it comes to the borla exhaust love the way it's starts up but I hate that european sound. Also if you think my set up will give me that honda fart sound when I start her please let me know so I can scrap that idea lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did a video with sound clips, but didn't post anything because it didn't sound any different from the guy (Granite Ghost) who told me about the setup. So mines sound the same as the one in the video below.

As for the Cherry Bombs, I was gonna get those, but then everyone I know who had them said they don't last. So if you do the installation for yourself those would be ok, but if you are going pay for installation, you'll hate yourself for not just getting the Borla's because you'll end up paying the price of the Borla's with installations and new mufflers, but you won't have a lifetime warranty that Borla offers.

Again if you are doing the work yourself, I would say switching to the H-pipe helps with the sound. It will give a slightly deeper growl, but if your paying for the installation I will refer back to Borla's.

Don't fall for people telling you Solo is the way to go.
I will say they do sound a little better that the DT Flow II's, but not for the price of $830 - $920 for the complete setup. Slightly better than a $74.00 Muffler set doesn't cut it for me.

Now about that Honda sound when you gas it/WOT. Well let me say the new Honda Catback exhaust don't sound like a bunch of pissed off bees in a tin can anymore. Got that comment from some guys doing Honda Civic SI Exhaust test.
Anyway, I was NOT happy to see how close they came to the sound of an exhaust setup on Challengers😨

So does it sound like those old Honda mufflers setup; the answer is No.
It's better, but like I said on another site Great sound is in the ear of the beholder.

So that's what I've learned over the year of looking and listening to muffler sounds.
If you can do things for yourself, go the Cherry Bomb route.
If your don't want to spend much and have something that will last, get the DT Flow II's.
If you want get the best and be done with it, get the Borla S-Type.

Here's that video I mentioned from Granite Ghost on how mines sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone ... Is there anything I can do to get a deeper exhaust sound from my SXT? I noticed that when I started it today it was very quiet (almost like our SUV) :D. Would like to have a little sound to go with the looks of this car. Thanks in advance.

Jamie
I would recommend trading it in on atleast a 5.7hemi for a deeper sound , but I'd you want that real deep rumble I suggest you get yourself a 6.4hemi and put a 3inch catback exhaust on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts