Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want an AFR Shaker Kit. If I order it today I will be waiting 6 to 8 weeks to get it shipped to me.

With the deal I'm looking at it will be approximately $350.00 more than Cervini's Shaker Kit.

Cervini's has their Shake Kit in stock and can ship immediately.

What would you do?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,587 Posts
I want an AFR Shaker Kit. If I order it today I will be waiting 6 to 8 weeks to get it shipped to me.

With the deal I'm looking at it will be approximately $350.00 more than Cervini's Shaker Kit.

Cervini's has their Shake Kit in stock and can ship immediately.

What would you do?
I have seen several cervini shaker setups and they are really nice. I have purchased from Cervini and had no issues:smileup:

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
I looked at Cervini, Suncoast, and AFR.... ended up getting AFR (5-7 more weeks)... however if you don't have a preference go with your gut... I too have seen the cervini up close - looks nice but wanted that "true shaker" look with the CAI eliminated from the engine bay for a more old school look (IMHO). There is a big show on April 26th (426 lol ) so I ordered the hood with enough time as to have it on in time for that....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I crunched the numbers today and I can get the Cervini's Shaker Kit, painted, delivered, for $380.00 less than the AFR Shaker, painted, with freight.

I'm thinking I can get the orange stripes painted back on the hood for around that price.

The Cervini's Shaker "un-painted" would be shipped immediately, but I don't know yet how much longer I would have to wait to have it painted, and shipped. I am contacting them Monday to find out. If it takes a few weeks to get it painted I might just have to go with AFR.

Thinking that they both are 99% show and 1% go . . . what difference does it really make?

·
Registered
221 Posts
My aiit temp is always within 4* of outside.. Sometimes even the same. Sitting idle it does go up but drops like a rock as soon as I move. Afr is a more true shaker as it only gets it's air from the outside with less restriction

·
5,416 Posts
I have been looking for a while, the functionality test that AFR posted shows it sucking air... I don't know if the others pull air like that...

·
Registered
313 Posts
My aiit temp is always within 4* of outside.. Sometimes even the same. Sitting idle it does go up but drops like a rock as soon as I move. Afr is a more true shaker as it only gets it's air from the outside with less restriction
This is just pure BS!!! A "true" shaker? So a Cervini's get's it's air from where? The shaker and the hole in the bottom of the airbox THAT PROVIDES COLD AIR!! Same as AFR, it gets COLD AIR!! And, it "shakes" too!!:wavey:

I guess if you want to get to brass tacks, that new factory shaker is the only "true" shaker, as it's the only one sold by Dodge, right?

BTW, to the OP, if you want an AFR because you like the design, then wait for it, or you'll always regret it. If you just want a functional shaker, that looks great, and works, consider the Cervini's. If you ever plan to upgrade to a SC, like to see the AFR guys do this:
to this, in literally less than a minute:

:hah:

If you go for the AFR, consider this, for a SC, they will make you a "one-off" version, for god knows how many more dollars, and guess what? In the end, they use the SAME AIR PATH AS THE CERVINI'S to do it.

But, hey, you'll have a "true" shaker!!!:gy:

·
Registered
313 Posts
And, as far as "less restirction", there is a post on the "other" forum (don't know if I can say that here), that shows a 392 w/ an AFR actually loses hp over another brand of cold air intake, that get's it's air form the bottom cold air area.

There is also documentation from Rwamser that shows on his Cervini's/Maggie setup, he gained hp and tqe, using the Cervini's shaker in place of the stock airbox.

Both of these were on dyno tests conducted by Arrington.

So much for a "true" shaker

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
B5RT . . You would make a good lawyer. I don't think 'm ever gonna buy a supercharger, but your point is well taken.

Maybe I'll just buy a new cover for my boat . . . :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is just pure BS!!! A "true" shaker? So a Cervini's get's it's air from where? The shaker and the hole in the bottom of the airbox THAT PROVIDES COLD AIR!! Same as AFR, it gets COLD AIR!! And, it "shakes" too!!:wavey:

I guess if you want to get to brass tacks, that new factory shaker is the only "true" shaker, as it's the only one sold by Dodge, right?

BTW, to the OP, if you want an AFR because you like the design, then wait for it, or you'll always regret it. If you just want a functional shaker, that looks great, and works, consider the Cervini's. If you ever plan to upgrade to a SC, like to see the AFR guys do this:
to this, in literally less than a minute:

:hah:

If you go for the AFR, consider this, for a SC, they will make you a "one-off" version, for god knows how many more dollars, and guess what? In the end, they use the SAME AIR PATH AS THE CERVINI'S to do it.

I have a 6.1. And the air goes thru the filter to the trottle body. It does not go the path of the factory air box and the hole in the bottom or a box with a metal grate on it. The only way to get air to mine throttle body is from outside my hood thru the shaker nowhere else

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I do like AFRs scoop, but really do not prefer the hood design. Its "raised" center section sits a bit to low for my taste, and the AFR does not have a distinctive trim ring that Cervinis has around the hole - The Cervinis hood looks more retro to me, and that's what I was shooting for.. As far as function - whether you use a tube to carry the "pressurized" air (AFR).... or a sealed molded hood duct ( Cervinis) I would be inclined to believe that the two perform VERY SIMILAR!!! I can attest to you = that having a hole in the bottom of that air box is crucial to performance by allowing the intake to use lower, denser, cooler air at lower speeds/ standstill = when the hood scoop intake is not so effective. I can say all of this because I had a Danko (suncoast) shaker kit on my 06 Daytona...I did many 1/4 mile runs to find the best combo. once I sealed up the bottom hole to try and create more of a "pressurized" charge of air - NO GOOD for 1/4 mile ETs and trap speed dropped as well!!! I realized that all I was doing was raising intake temps while waiting to stage, and the heat soak ended up robbing me of HP!!! I ripped out my seal material, and on the next run saw true improvement in ET and trap speed...so that sealed air box is only going to be an optimum gain while the car is at constant speed.... As soon as you sit = your heat soaking the manifold, and it takes longer than a 1/4 mile to reverse effects!!
So that's my real experience take on the whole debate about hood / intake modification performance gains....but the real determining factor in my purchase of the Cervinis hood was purely subjective = I prefer the look!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good point but I have no choice on where I get my air from. But I do know one thing, there's only two makers of shaker hoods. The shakers themselves are proprietary

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I do dig the design of AFRs scoop - love the round filter and the simple design!! if I could get an AFR scoop to work with my Cervinis hood = I would be game to having the best of both worlds !!

·
5,416 Posts
I went with AFR because I liked the look/shape of the shaker itself, and the look under the hood. I do wish it had the trim ring, but oh well. No plans on supercharging this thing for a few years, if at all so I think it will work. Ultimately we all have our own spin and view on these hoods... Now lets talk about badging on the shakers... hahahahaha.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

BTW, to the OP, if you want an AFR because you like the design, then wait for it, or you'll always regret it. If you just want a functional shaker, that looks great, and works, consider the Cervini's.

Based on this response I ordered a Cervini's Shaker Kit tonight. :smileup:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Burn One, thanks for your confidence in my input; however, you should purchase on your own feelings and research (which I realize you are doing by posting on these forums). I personally like the athestics of the Cervini's over the AFR. The shaker is a little bit smaller and the hood rise is more pronounced than an AFR's. I'm not saying the AFR is a bad product; on the contrary, from all my research, it is the only one that allows one to change between three scoop styles (shaker, T/A, and 1320). The man who runs the company also does Viper parts and seems very commited to his product.
Where I differ is this idea that has been put out since AFR came out with their version, that because it has a round air filter, it is the only true shaker. It is only a different method for air delivery, and , as I already stated, when using an AFR wth a 392 or a SC, it is modified to have the same airflow path as a Cervini's, thereby making the arguement that it's original design is the only true design, moot. In addition, the AFR only has one entry for airflow, whereas the Cervini's has two, one form the shaker and one from the bottom inlet that the stock airbox also has.
That said, I also had to have my Cervini's modded by Petty's. It is my understanding that Cervini's has also modified their original design so that their newer models have the approriate cutouts to accept the Magnasun SC pully and air valve release. This is something you should clarify with Cervini's. This will save you money in not having to have your shaker sent to someone like Petty's for modification. In addition, mounting brackets, that Petty's offers, are still needed as the Maggie has different fuel rail widths than the stock manifold. Contact Petty for there availability and price. They could also be fabbed locally, if you have a fab shop nearby that does those type of things.
These are not big issues, especially if you are doing what I did and purchasing the Shaker hood first with the eventual plan to add a Maggie later.
Lastly, I have been completely satisfied with my Cervini's purchase. The paint quality and match is spot on. I took mine to a body shop for install, which is something I highly recommend, as most problems, customers from all brands of aftermarket hoods have, are from fitment issues, due to lack of knowledge on adjustments, etc. I hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I have had mine. I am certain the AFR , Danko, and Suncoast people feel the same way about their purchases. :smileup:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did a lot of searching, emailing, reading this forum, asking question after question, and there was some indecision but at the end of it all I think I will get a qualilty product from Cervini's and I saved some money ($380.00) that I can use to have the orange stripes painted on the new hood.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
If I knew I was going to go the supercharger route, I might have gone Cervini's but at the time I didn't think there was any chance of that so I went with AFR. Without the supercharger, the AFR system is so much more clean (possibly even elegant), unless you like seeing the big airbox with chrome plate on top. The AFR feeds directly into the throttle body.

Now if supercharging is in your plans, Cervinis might be the better way to go. Currently AFR doesn't have a solution for the 5.7L. If however you have the 392/6.4L, AFR can make you one of those no sweat as they've done the R&D on it and have one in the wild (possibly more but I've only seen pics of the first one that was done). I'm supposed to be providing them my car so they can do the design for the 5.7L but this winter weather is conspiring against us and I've not been able to get my car out to Michigan due to snow practically every week. The design they came up with for the 6.4L is pretty nice looking but seems to have just as many twists and turns as the Cervinis does.

I think the Cervinis has grilles that are removable allowing you to customize (i.e. paint, etc) or replace with a different design/pattern, whereas the AFR ones are either part of the Shaker mold or are glassed in. Wasn't a huge concern of mine really and when I had my Shaker painted, I liked how it ended up looking.

I don't regret buying the AFR system at all, but I did jump quick and didn't really reason out what I planned on doing in the future. I may have gone a different direction, had I done that.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I too have the Cervini set up coming. Today was four weeks so I am hoping that it will be here next week maybe! I will be adding a super charger in the future so this was definitely the way to go for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts