Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I just being paranoid or are there others afraid to leave their car parked at a hotel overnight?
Wanted to do a cruise but afraid to leave my car at the hotel lot at night even with security measures in place.
Am I just being paranoid?
A few of my friends said their cars got stolen from parking lots and hotels.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m considering picking up one of those good ol’ “Club” steering wheel lock bars for just such occasions.
I got that, the pullstrap plate, software update and a few other things but even then, still worried. It is one of those hotels near the highway in a high car theft area. Maybe they will let me park it into the hotel lobby?

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,603 Posts
Did you ask them about their security? Do they have a security guard?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you ask them about their security? Do they have a security guard?
I just got off the phone with them, yes but they just come by not say. Front desk said she had no incidents since she worked there for the past 6 Months.
I came up with a plan to leave one of my FRS radios in VOX mode with Roger Beep in the car, I will keep the other radio bedside next to my firearm. :cool:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,212 Posts
Am I just being paranoid or are there others afraid to leave their car parked at a hotel overnight?
Wanted to do a cruise but afraid to leave my car at the hotel lot at night even with security measures in place.
Go to CrimeMapping.com - Helping You Build a Safer Community
  1. Enter the address of the hotel.
  2. Click the What icon on the left and filter for Motor Vehicle Theft and Vehicle Break-In / Theft.
  3. Click the Where icon and re-enter the hotel address under Location Selection. Then click Choose a Search Distance to set your radius. (selecting 500 - 1000 feet will localize it to the hotel and it's parking lot) Click Apply
  4. Click the When icon to set your time range (I usually set it for the previous 4 weeks)
  5. Click the Report icon.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pick the right hotel. A few years ago I did a road trip in a classic car, 4400 miles from OR to MN and back. Hotel parking was a huge concern for me. Here is what I did...

I started my hotel search using my company's on-line booking tool. No, I didn't book with the tool as that would have violated some sort of company policies. The thing is the company's tool worked much better than on-line tools like Expedia. It told me what was available and the corporate rates without a bunch of advertising garbage. And I knew what the good rates were so as to know when I was getting scammed by the hotels.

Next I pulled up the hotel address on Google Earth. That would give me a good idea the parking lot layout, what is nearby, potential risks, etc. Are their multiple exits to the parking lot, or does everything have to go by the front desk (ie: make the tow truck thieves hesitant)?

I then went to Google Earth street view to see what the hotel looks like from the street. What I wanted was the 1-2 story hotels which overlook the parking lot. I did not want a 5-story tower where I am far from ground level. My ideal target was hotels with exterior room doors to the parking lot. That way I could literally park right outside the door. That is a downward selection in hotels ranking - not likely to find 5-star accommodations with room service! I was on a road trip though, needing a bed + shower and those amenities are unnecessary.

Once I made a selection I called the property directly, not the general 800 number. I explained I was driving a classic car and requested a room be held overlooking the parking lot. All offered to make a note, but only a few assured me they could do that ahead of time. On my day of arrival I did a follow up call early in the afternoon with the same request.

Upon arrival at the hotel I drove the parking lot. Where are people parked now, where are the entrances & exits, etc. Actually, it was more where are they not parked. Then when registering I requested a room near the area I liked. They almost always were able to accommodate me.

I only had one issue. Bright spotlights and a vehicle targeting my car, right outside my first floor window at 2am. It was the local Officer Friendly turning the spots on the car and then taking a picture on his phone - LOL!

Bottom line is you need to do trip planning ahead of time. Some research will eliminate a lot of the risk. Good luck!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wait a second, upon re-reading the OP's post...

I read "cruise" as a car cruise. Are you thinking of parking your car at a hotel for a week and leaving on a boat cruise? No way would I do that. Take the old beater car instead.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
29,210 Posts
I've been traveling to car shows since I got the car in 2009. Only had a problem once, but have been surprised many times that there wasn't a problem.

The hotel where I had the issue was close to a major artery (I-95) and adjacent to a corporate park. I'd swear the car got scoped out by some worker driving a golf cart around the parking lot. If I can't park under my window, I try to find a lighted spot. I'm not a door opens to parking lot kind of girl. I'm more Hilton or Marriott....

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,413 Posts
I got that, the pullstrap plate, software update and a few other things but even then, still worried. It is one of those hotels near the highway in a high car theft area. Maybe they will let me park it into the hotel lobby?
Pull the fuel pump fuse

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I've had to spend a night or two at a hotel to participate at out-of-town car shows and, yeah, I have sweated bullets.
As mentioned stay at good hotels and try to park where you can see your car out the window.
Also back-in to park.
One place we stayed at had a roving security car that didn't have a set routine but patrolled pretty frequently. Our hotel wasn't the only one they would check.

Reactions: Just Jeff

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,864 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
These guys will make a car cover to look like anything. Get them to make one for you that looks like a 1966 Rambler and the thieves will leave it alone

1 - 20 of 35 Posts