Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People really go out of their way to try to race us. Lol. 3 examples from my first month of ownership(picked her up on 2/27)

The best thing about living in the middle of nowhere in MS is there's no shortage of open highways and country boys who want to see how their toys stack up to the Challenger.

First kill was on a local drag strip(not a legit drag racing strip with timers, but an old one that some guys built on their property. It gets the job done however lol) against my cousins programmed f-250 diesel. He called me out on the basis that his tuned diesel had beaten my 2012 V6 charger(my charger wasn't tuned, was stock performance wise except for a drop in filter, flowmaster muffler, and reso delete. She sounded fast, but was a show car as the 22's and subwoofers really weighed her down) his truck beat my Charger, with the charger hanging onto his rear door. I guess he then thought he could beat anything Dodge lol. Needless to say, I let him launch and I slowly rolled into the throttle and was ahead of him before we reached 40 mph and it only got worse. I don't really want to even count that as a W cause it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

2nd kill came against a 2008(I think) Mustang GT. Really nice looking GT in red with 2 black racing stripes. You can tell he really took care of it as the paint seemed to be showroom condition and his exhaust was really nice. Anyway, I'm cruising along doing about 70(gas is too high to really drive any faster lol) on the way to Jackson when I see him merge on the interstate. As soon as he saw my challenger, he instantly sped up to catch up. Pulls up besides me with a buddy in the car with his phone out recording. Guy yells out the window that he "eats Challengers all day long!!" I told him that around the next curve is a nice straight away and if it's clear, we'll count it down and run it. We come around the curve and it's not a car in site, and no chance for cops as the median was heavily wooded with nowhere to cross. We count down and nail it from 70. He actually jumped me, as I think I had lag from the MDS system, but as soon as Hellen woke up, she downshifted and it was out the gate.. I flew past him by 100 and by 120 he had to be at least 4-5 car lengths behind. He hit the flashers and I slowed back down to him. I looked over and he had the "I eat a$$" face as his buddy was dying laughing. He wanted to run one more time. And we did, I gave him about 2 car lengths before I really got into the throttle and again, by 120 he was dust. We kinda just caravanned together after that until it was time for my exit, and I waved and honked, he honked back and disappeared into the sunset. I wonder will that video ever see the likes of YouTube or Instagram lol

Final kill was a local one. New model Monte Carlo super sport that is annoying as hell around town, engine revving(probably has flowmasters (par for the course in my neighborhood) and is always doing burnouts, speeding off at lights, etc. Well today I'm behind him at a red light and it's constant revving in front of me. The light goes green and he hits it. I just cruise on behind him. The next light is to merge on the interstate, and as soon as I see him turn his blinker on, I knew that Hellen was about to feast upon this pathetic SS. The turn light goes green and he turns. I instantly know he wants to play because he nails it on the on ramp and I pick up a little speed as well. He merges into the slow lane and I merge over into the fast lane, I give him about 8 cars before I go get him. Caught him with ease and left him. Slowed down to let him catch up, and because I knew a speed trap was coming up. He flew past the potential speed trap and once I saw it was all clear, I once again came and got him, left him by 110, and couldn't even see him by 140. A few mins later, as I'm cruising around 73-74, I see Mr. SS approaching fast, so I clicked the sports mode button and picked up a little speed till about 80, let him get his rear bumper ahead, and punched it, once again leaving him. Really wasn't even fair. He would have been more competition for my moms 14 2LS V6 Camaro honestly.

First 2 kills were bone stock. Last one was with CAI and catch can lol.

Don't think all of this happened in 1 day. Spread out over the last month. I don't go around looking for races(well one, my homeboy 03 mustang that he claims is a 4.6 boared out to a 5.0 but he refuses to come to our little strip to race). It just seems like ppl see our beautiful beasts and just have to come and try us. Maybe they like seeing these really pretty taillights of ours :). Also, I think people around here think challengers are slow. No idea why. I do know of a few Upbadgers. I know one guy had a RT grille badge with no fog lights or rear spoiler of any kind. Smh.

Reactions: friendoffur

·
13,007 Posts
Nice stories!! i enjoyed reading them, The Challenger always seem to attract a lot of attention in that way. Be careful with that street racing.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,055 Posts
Sosa, Great stories, enjoyed them very much. Please be careful, 140 is a lot to manage!!
My son is your age, so I understand very well the temptation these cars give us!

·
Registered
228 Posts
i attribute all that to how the magazines always had the challenger dead last in performance. people think they are easy kills. i've had that experience last fall with some kid in a Cobalt SS that actually said to me that his car and the R/T are "neck and neck" when it comes to performance numbers from what he read :). we were at a flashlight drag event, which is kinda like a test n tune, but no slips and its heads up racing in an 1/8 mile. i asked him if he'd like to go. i'll just say it was a slaughter. had a couple car lengths on him and if it was a full 1/4, it would have been worse. he didnt say a word to me the rest of the event. i had a couple other upsets that i posted about here if you feel like reading:

http://challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98977

its nice being the "fat and slow" underdog :)

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,735 Posts
I usually don't pay attention to people next to me at a light. Usually. One night last week I had to drive my Challenger to work because the battery in my company vehicle was dead. Coming home I'm stopped at a light next to some rice burner. Wasn't a compact car, but a ricer nonetheless. I guess the guy must have looked over because when the light turned green he jumped on it, winding out each gear to high revs. He made it to the next light long before I did. I caught up and saw the left lane was clear so I got along side him again. Still didn't look over at him. Figured he'd do it again so I hit a paddle to get into autostick mode. Light goes green and I hear him letting loose (using that term very loosely). So I hit it and when the supercharger kicks in, I'm by him with plenty of car lengths between us in no time flat. Look down at the speedometer and see I'm in triple digits, so I let off and started looking for flashing lights.

I let the turd get to me, which I usually don't. In fact, never had previously. I wouldn't have done it anyway had that section of road not been the last light on the way out of town where people generally exceed the speed limit by plenty before it bottlenecks down to a single lane again. I wouldn't call it a "kill" because I never as much as recognized him or gave a nod that we were going.

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,631 Posts
I don't street race. The consequences are too high. I had a tuned Honda Civic just get all squirrelly with me late last Saturday night. Too much traffic to really do anything, and too high of a chance of a speed trap. There are at least 2-3 of the county's finest (or the city's - when you cross the line) on this route home every Saturday (I was coming back from Washington, DC).

I wasn't trying to goad this doofus too much, the sound of the Corsa Extreme with a CAI is really sweet when you let off the gas... anyway, he does his thing and I just didn't take the bait. Wouldn't you know, I ended up next to his car on Sunday late morning. All he could do is start speeding and passing around cars as if he was trying to prove something. (All he proved is that he's a jerk).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't street race. The consequences are too high. I had a tuned Honda Civic just get all squirrelly with me late last Saturday night. Too much traffic to really do anything, and too high of a chance of a speed trap. There are at least 2-3 of the county's finest (or the city's - when you cross the line) on this route home every Saturday (I was coming back from Washington, DC).

I wasn't trying to goad this doofus too much, the sound of the Corsa Extreme with a CAI is really sweet when you let off the gas... anyway, he does his thing and I just didn't take the bait. Wouldn't you know, I ended up next to his car on Sunday late morning. All he could do is start speeding and passing around cars as if he was trying to prove something. (All he proved is that he's a jerk).
I dont race my car either,I want her to last...I know she can go fast and I also know tickets and gas cost lots of money..I did have anothe R/T Challenger pull up to me today at the light..Like most Challengers owners,He just gave me a thumbs up as we left the light. No need to race..We both know Challengers rule!:smileup:

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
I've notice a lot of pickup truck guys (at least in my area) always seem to want to race. I also raced several diesel trucks at the track a few weeks ago, you know it's kind of interesting looking at a truck in your rear view mirror surrounded by giant clouds of black smoke LOL.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Man please don't race on the street, you're young it serves no purpose, these car can get going pretty quickly, when Im in my car I ride slow, insurance goes up when you get tickets that all I say to myself, after my scare on Xmas eve just driving fast Im done with fast I ever put on my digital gauge when Im drining to make sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.