Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I washed and waxed my Challenger. I did NOT have my usual results and would like to know if anyone has come across this situation in the past. For starters I have been using Turtle Wax (wax as you dry) for years on all my cars. Been using it on the Challenger for 18 months with the usual good results. This time though upon completion the car looked good but to the touch it did not feel slick. My finger felt like it was sticking to the car instead of sliding over it. I washed and waxed the car in the same manner with the same towels. Only thing different was the humidity. I live in Florida and its ALWAYS humid. The day of the wash it was extremely humid. I washed the car in the morning before the sun hit the paint and then dried/waxed it in the garage. Like I said I have done this many times and always with great results. I am at a loss as to why the car does not feel slick as it usually does. We have an 07 Escape, 08 Silverado, and have been using this product for years. These cars shine and feel slick after a wash and wax. Something went wrong with the Challenger and I am hoping someone in the community can offer some insight as to what the heck happened???

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I’d say it’s time to clay bar the car. A clay bar gets the paint very clean and smooth to the touch, but not slick. After that wax it. I personally am not a big fan of just using a spray on wax. I do use spray on detailing sprays though just to help clean the paint after a wash. The truth is the spray on wax you are using probably isn’t that different than the detail spray I use.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,876 Posts
Wax build up maybe ? and the humidity would not help with that.

May be time to strip the old was off , clay bar it, then start over....

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
50,607 Posts
Agree with the clay bar and I would wash it with Dawn first.

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Get yourself a bottle of this stuff. You get it at auto body supply stores generally open to professional shops only. But some do sell to the public. It takes off all the crud and restores it to production line finish. All the body shops in the USA use this stuff. It's because we no longer wax paint. We wax clear coat that is on top of the paint.
If you take your car to a body shop to have the issue fixed, this is what they will use.

-John

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,436 Posts
I agree with about posts about claying the car. It seems the simple days of washing and waxing have come to an end. Now there are the paint sealant products. With my new 2020, I washed the first time, then put on the new Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine. This has a hybrid synthetic sealant infused with carnauba wax for superior repellency & shine. (Hope all that hype is true). I chose this instead of the usual wax job. It is support to work for months. They even state on the back of this product that if your car has oxidation and surface contaminants, you should clay and polish first.

I need to go back to car detailing school, as there are so many new products on the market. And of course some of that just might be a good way to get into our wallets......

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,876 Posts
I agree with about posts about claying the car. It seems the simple days of washing and waxing have come to an end. Now there are the paint sealant products. With my new 2020, I washed the first time, then put on the new Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine. This has a hybrid synthetic sealant infused with carnauba wax for superior repellency & shine. (Hope all that hype is true). I chose this instead of the usual wax job. It is support to work for months. They even state on the back of this product that if your car has oxidation and surface contaminants, you should clay and polish first.

I need to go back to car detailing school, as there are so many new products on the market. And of course some of that just might be a good way to get into our wallets......

No 'might' about it.........

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,692 Posts
IMG_20200824_131633149.jpg
May want to consider a professional ceramic coating. Had mine done last month and couldn't be happier. The detailer will properly prepare the paint, paint correction if needed, clay bar and finally apply the ceramic. Supposed to last three years. The dirt and dust just wipe right off with detailing spray or water.

·
Premium Member
17,513 Posts
View attachment 260864 May want to consider a professional ceramic coating. Had mine done last month and couldn't be happier. The detailer will properly prepare the paint, paint correction if needed, clay bar and finally apply the ceramic. Supposed to last three years. The dirt and dust just wipe right off with detailing spray or water.

Nicely done ! The finish looks like glass. However,if I were you I would take the car back to whoever put on those stripes and have them corrected. Just sayin'. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get yourself a bottle of this stuff. You get it at auto body supply stores generally open to professional shops only. But some do sell to the public. It takes off all the crud and restores it to production line finish. All the body shops in the USA use this stuff. It's because we no longer wax paint. We wax clear coat that is on top of the paint.
If you take your car to a body shop to have the issue fixed, this is what they will use.
View attachment 260733
View attachment 260734
View attachment 260735

-John
3M 05990 Hand Glaze Here is the link to where you can get it on Amazon.
I bought this set, and it works great: 1Pk - 3M - Perfect It Buffing & Polishing Compound 06085 06064 06068

·
Registered
3,808 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
View attachment 260733
View attachment 260734
View attachment 260735

-John
People should factually understand products and their proper use before recommending them

Glazes are used before waxing to fill in imperfections and hide swirls.

From Autopia Car detailing forum: “The Imperial Glaze is all resin filler and can be used with the PC as a finish before wax. Its basically going to hide fine swirls and twilight scratches.”

OP: The recommendations on clay barring might be valid. Test for yourself; put your hand in a plastic grocery bag and gently, LIGHTLY run the tips of your fingers over your paint. If you feel bumps, then it’s time to clay. If not, then most likely just need to strip the old wax off.

Dawn does NOT clean your paint and make it free of oils, which block wax from adhering, not to mention any particulates in Dawn to help scrub dishes clean aren’t good for your paint.

Many paint cleaners that remove wax can be used by hand because they too contain a glaze.

The only way to truly clean your paint and remove old wax is wash it with a quality soap then wipe it down with an Isopropyl mix

Reactions: Wizard Of Iz

·
Administrator
50,607 Posts
People should factually understand products and their proper use before recommending them

Glazes are used before waxing to fill in imperfections and hide swirls.

From Autopia Car detailing forum: “The Imperial Glaze is all resin filler and can be used with the PC as a finish before wax. Its basically going to hide fine swirls and twilight scratches.”

OP: The recommendations on clay barring might be valid. Test for yourself; put your hand in a plastic grocery bag and gently, LIGHTLY run the tips of your fingers over your paint. If you feel bumps, then it’s time to clay. If not, then most likely just need to strip the old wax off.

Dawn does NOT clean your paint and make it free of oils, which block wax from adhering, not to mention any particulates in Dawn to help scrub dishes clean aren’t good for your paint.

Many paint cleaners that remove wax can be used by hand because they too contain a glaze.

The only way to truly clean your paint and remove old wax is wash it with a quality soap then wipe it down with an Isopropyl mix
ZAINO APPLICATION TIPS

1. Because Zaino Show Car Polish is optically perfect (99.9%) The optimum results are achieved by using over wax & oil free paint.
  2. If you are looking for the ultimate paint surface preparation. Use Zaino Z-18 ClayBar first or skip to Step 3.
    • Zaino Z-18 ClayBay was designed to remove airborne contaminants, paint overspray, water spots, rail dust, industrial fallout, diesel fuel & catalytic converter residue and any other bonded surface contaminants from paint. All cars even brand new factory paint has airborne contaminants... Here's the deal. The non-abrasive Z-18 ClayBar will remove any surface contaminants from the paint finish and not hurt the clear-coat. The ClayBar will get that paint finish smooth as glass. Now remember waterspots, bird droppings and bug guts if left on the paint finish for any length of time. Will etch into the paint finish. The ClayBar will also remove any store bought waxes.
    • I recommend you use my car wash (Z-7) as a lubricant for the ClayBar. Just make sure to keep the surface area lubricated while using the ClayBar. Use 1/2 capful of Z-7 Car Wash to 12 ounces of water. I use a spray bottle for the mix. Shake it up and spray the area to be Clayed. Just make sure to keep the surface area lubricated while using the ClayBar.
  3. I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn(hand dish washing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free.
    • I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn. But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
ZAINO APPLICATION TIPS

1. Because Zaino Show Car Polish is optically perfect (99.9%) The optimum results are achieved by using over wax & oil free paint.
  2. If you are looking for the ultimate paint surface preparation. Use Zaino Z-18 ClayBar first or skip to Step 3.
    • Zaino Z-18 ClayBay was designed to remove airborne contaminants, paint overspray, water spots, rail dust, industrial fallout, diesel fuel & catalytic converter residue and any other bonded surface contaminants from paint. All cars even brand new factory paint has airborne contaminants... Here's the deal. The non-abrasive Z-18 ClayBar will remove any surface contaminants from the paint finish and not hurt the clear-coat. The ClayBar will get that paint finish smooth as glass. Now remember waterspots, bird droppings and bug guts if left on the paint finish for any length of time. Will etch into the paint finish. The ClayBar will also remove any store bought waxes.
    • I recommend you use my car wash (Z-7) as a lubricant for the ClayBar. Just make sure to keep the surface area lubricated while using the ClayBar. Use 1/2 capful of Z-7 Car Wash to 12 ounces of water. I use a spray bottle for the mix. Shake it up and spray the area to be Clayed. Just make sure to keep the surface area lubricated while using the ClayBar.
  3. I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn(hand dish washing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free.
    • I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn. But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though.
Why dish soap is not a good idea

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
593 Posts
I remember when you couldn't read any message board without seeing a dozen "discussions" about Zaino. Wow ... that's a 20 year flashback.

@2019 Shaker Scat Pack were you able to resolve your problem? I also live in Florida and have battled humidity on wax day more than once. Sometimes if you accidentally apply a little too much product it's almost like the wax never truly dries enough to buff off. Then days later ... after sitting in the sun ... you come back to your car and see the wax that you missed.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Zaino is a good product but it very little cleaning affect to it, your paint had to be really clean first. Are the people saying don’t wash your car with dish soap trying to sell you a product? I dont wash my car with dawn but I don’t think it would hurt you paint.

·
Administrator
50,607 Posts
Zaino is a good product but it very little cleaning affect to it, your paint had to be really clean first. Are the people saying don’t wash your car with dish soap trying to sell you a product? I dont wash my car with dawn but I don’t think it would hurt you paint.
Exactly one time as a prep for clay barring will not hurt the finish. You would not use it every car wash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts