Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up on 30k on my 2010 and wondering if I should go back with stock replacements, or if there is any reason / benefit to getting a different type of spark plug.
The stock plugs have worked flawlessly, but generally I go 1 heat range colder when installing lower temp t-stats, headers, intake, adding timing, etc.

Any advice / real world testing information is appreciated.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Like you never had any problems with stock and the KISS method and if it aint broke dont fix it :) But also went one step colder for future add-ons :) I use NGK 7787 just one step colder.
Stay away from Platinum plugs on the 5.7 when they first came out they had a problem with misfire with them replaced plugs with copper (thus why 5.7 to this day uses them) misfire gone. Dont know if MoPar ever figured out why, and I am sure I will have to prove these facts to some :)

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
The Mopar/NGK spark plugs work just fine. Stay away from E3's. I put a set of them in my Magnum and had to pull them out within a month from misfiring.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like you never had any problems with stock and the KISS method and if it aint broke dont fix it :) But also went one step colder for future add-ons :) I use NGK 7787 just one step colder.
Stay away from Platinum plugs on the 5.7 when they first came out they had a problem with misfire with them replaced plugs with copper (thus why 5.7 to this day uses them) misfire gone. Dont know if MoPar ever figured out why, and I am sure I will have to prove these facts to some :)
Thanks for the feedback.
Did you need to change the tune parameters after the swap?
When I swapped to 180* on my 5.9 it started running a little rich but eliminated the predetonation I was getting.

The Mopar/NGK spark plugs work just fine. Stay away from E3's. I put a set of them in my Magnum and had to pull them out within a month from misfiring.
I was wondering if those E3s were really as good as their marketing says they are.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Runs great as far as tuning, I run a custom tune and had it looked at after the 7787's no changes tune looked great ! over all no real big changes but I expected that .

E3's are junk in any performance engine.

edit Your mods are very close to mine you should be right on target and you live in a warm area, the hot plugs , tstat are to get emissions low for factory sale.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be going a heat range cooler. Might let me add a few more degrees of timing with 102 fuel at the track.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This question comes up every few months. Most responses are to stick with stock plugs.

I'm inclined to do just that. I am new to the forum, though, and know very little about things like part numbers.

I have a very good dealership servicing my car—and he serviced my Magnum, too. For example, I bring him my own synthetic oil since he offers only a blend at his place.

I don't know how much a change of plugs would cost from him, but as I understand it, there are 16 plugs in the car, so I am thinking that parts cost alone is probably over $100; is that about right?

I suppose I need to be looking into recommended online retailers where I can defray the cost some. Any suggestions where I might start looking for these OEM plugs? Thanks

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,406 Posts
I'm inclined to do just that. I am new to the forum, though, and know very little about things like part numbers.

I have a very good dealership servicing my car—and he serviced my Magnum, too. For example, I bring him my own synthetic oil since he offers only a blend at his place.

I don't know how much a change of plugs would cost from him, but as I understand it, there are 16 plugs in the car, so I am thinking that parts cost alone is probably over $100; is that about right?

I suppose I need to be looking into recommended online retailers where I can defray the cost some. Any suggestions where I might start looking for these OEM plugs? Thanks
I purchased mine at the dealer. Mopar #SPLZFR5C11 (NGK)---List: $4.20 ea.--Net: $2.70 ea. Total: $43.20 plus tax.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well it is promising to see that people replacing park plugs are saying under $5 a piece. . . My dealer charged me $12 each plus labor to change spark plugs on my 3.5l Charger, needless to say I have been doing my own maintenance from then on. . .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey folks, just picked up a new 2014 Shaker. Traded in my 2010 R/T. Never dawned on me to ask the Service dudes if the plugs are still required to be changed at 30K for the new car. Does anyone know if this is still same?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
???????? Spark plugs or Shaker hood?
I'm guessing the plugs is what he was referring to.

I haven't seen the design for the Mopar shaker, but there was only 1 company that was making a true functional ram shaker...and it didn't start with the letter 'C'.
Expect 10 at the most when moving at speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.