Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few weeks doing web/magazine research, asking for the opinions of every mopar enthusiast I know (OK, not that many, but...) as well as the opinons of all the professional mechanics I know, reading every review I could find, and listening over and over to different audio recordings of the different exhaust systens as installed on challenger RTs (auto), I've finally decided to get a Borla ATAK. I love the way they sound, and from everything I've seen/heard, I've gotten the impression that they are a worthwhile investment.
So here's my question: I have a spanky new top-of-the-line aftermarket mopar CAI (installed), Diablo tuner, the Eibach suspension PRO-plus suspension kit/Eibach pro-alignment kit (not yet installed), EBC rotors/yellow stuff pads (installed), front and back struts (installed by previous owner; I'm blanking on the brand), gauge dash mount w/ air/fuel, oil temp, h2o temp digital gauges (should be completely installed by tomorrow), GPS HUD digital speedometer (installed) and - if nothing unexpected comes up - I will probably place an order for the ATAK later today. Obviously, adding to/upgrading my car is rapidly becoming my favorite hobby (well, second favorite - - nothing comes close to actually driving the car), but I'm not sure what would be the most logical step to take next... I can't afford a supercharger - - that's off the table, at least for now. I would like to go in the direction of working towards increasing horsepower... Speedier acceleration/even more responsive throttle -- I know I'll never be able to take on a Camaro (unless the driver is a moron and forgets that the accelerator is the one on the right...) and - I suppose - any of the mid/high end mustangs, but I'll get plenty of solo thrills (and the more thrilling the better) by messing around, adding parts and such, until I get every last bit of power out of that engine. (And then maybe I'll win $7000 on a gameshow, and then it'll be supercharger time... or not.) Back to the question: if this was your car, with everything I've listed either installed or about to be, and you had a budget around 1k, what would you do next? I'll admit; I'm stumped. My only (tentative) idea was to explore headers, but - admittedly - I don't know much about them, so I'm not sure.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any and all feedback...

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,725 Posts
I think shorty headers would be the next step and maybe hi flow cats.These would be a logical step if a supercharger is on the horizon.But I am sure you will get a bunch of opinions.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Doesn't Borla make the stock SRT exhaust? So your picking an exhaust that will probably sound more Mopar like, just based on that fact. (If it is in fact....a fact.)

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,725 Posts
Doesn't Borla make the stock SRT exhaust? So your picking an exhaust that will probably sound more Mopar like, just based on that fact. (If it is in fact....a fact.)
No, Borla did make the Mopar Catback systems which were no where near the stock systems R/T or SRT sound wise, they are much more aggressive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input... I guess I'll look into headers (another flush for the money toilet)

·
Registered
640 Posts
You are going to love the Borla Atak set up. I had mine installed about a month ago and it is awesome. My only concern for you is that you may have some drone issues since you have an Automatic. I would get in touch with Borla before purchasing the system and ask them if there are any drone issues if they have anything to help correct it.

I have a manual trans and there is just the slightest amount of drone but hardly noticeable. As for the sound itself, your car will sound amazing. The only bad part is the best sound is what you don't hear but people on the street hear. I had my wife do a couple of passes on an open road while I stood outside and the car sounds very aggressive, and flat out nasty..The neighbors are going to love you...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry didn't notice you had the tuner. You can turn MDS off and that should eliminate most if not all of the drone issues....

Again you will love the sound of the car now especially as it goes through the gears. The best sound of all is when you down shift in my opinion..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts