Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my alternator burn out the other day while my wife was driving the challenger. It had to have stopped working at least an hour or so before because there was no warning. The car dashboard lit up like Vegas (which makes no sense because illuminating every light possible would run the battery down quicker by my logic) and the wife pulled into a gas station. Good thing it was a Buccee's station with all the lights and workers since this did happen at night. So... had to get the car towed because it wouldn't crank at all... Opened the hood and it just smelled of burned rubber. I checked the belt and it looked fine. I checked near the alternator and that was where the smell was coming from. I called around and found a place in Dallas that had the part for $299 and when you send back your core they refund $100.

Autozone price was $350 + $20.00 core and dealer was around $500. The parts store in Dallas sent me the part in 2 days, installed it, charged the battery and good to go. Now i have to replace the battery because I am pretty sure I lost a cell because of it being drained to nothing.

I have had this car for 4 months. You would THINK Dodge would check the issues and fix them before re-selling.

Also, the airbag light goes on... turns off... turns on... Annoying...

I emailed Chrysler to discuss my frustrations and they said the door handle recall had been fixed and so did this airbag recall... BUT its happening again.

Awesome...

I love the car... so does my wife... So I will keep pushing to get all the issues fixed and fight on.

If anyone else is having the alternator issue hit me up. I don't know if I can post the parts store here but I will let you know who it was so you can get a re-manned alternator and a decent price.

Jay

·
Registered
421 Posts
The alternator on my old 2011 burned out, same thing with all the lights. It was replaced under warranty.
The airbag light going off is probably the passenger seat wiring under the seat. The dealer finally took the connector out and just hard wired it . . . problem was fixed.
Good luck on no more issues!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,600 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine just went out on my 5.7 , the pre amble was a burning electrical or a hot electrical smell up front but very mild for about a month. But the smell of hot electrical and a low hum sound coming from the alternator, then it wouldn't crank today. Took the alternator off and smelled it, smells like the burning electrical smell ive been smelling for a month.
Nice Dodge quality I gotta tell ya....26,000 miles and its already ready for the core pile..
and then there is my good old trust reliable 94 Chevy Blazer fullsize with almost 300,000 on the clock and it just keeps running , I don't even remember the last time its had an alternator...

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
wow, Chrysler alternators have always been known to last many many years, they have a unique diode system, GM- Ac delco were know for crappy ones. I wonder if Chrysler/Fiat
got a different Vendor for the Alternators ?????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Will the 2011 charger police alternator fit the 2011 challenger rt ya think? Im looking at oriellys and they have the 195 amp available.
Stock spec is supposed to be 160 amp, all the one's that im finding at parts houses are 150 amp..Think that's a problem? I don't have a sound system just stock stuff. I looked up an alternator at oriellys for a 2011 charger 5.7 and they have 3 available, but for the challenger they only list 1.
Also this isn't just a v6 issue, from what I can gather after reading up on this for a couple hours the national highway transportation blasi blah blah has opened an investigation into Chrysler's alternator problem, on another site there were ALOT of challenger rt and srt failures pretty early in miles. Seems as if the copper windings start to burn up and smell which is the pre curser to a total lock up and a battery short along with a whine or hum from the alternator.
I think I caught mine before that happened.

·
Registered
738 Posts
A couple days ago, I had a smell in my car my son said it smelt like burning plastic, it did smell like hot plastic, but I had to use the defroster so I just figured was from the defroster not being used that often, hope its not a precursor to a alternator burning out...I know chrysler used to use prestolite for thier alts and starters, we had a plant here in town but closed up in early 80's, now they are probably made in china.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mine just went out Wednesday I was sitting at the bus stop to pick up the kids when all of the sudden the ABS light and the traction control light came on then the emergency brake light came on then all the rest of the idiot lights came on and the AC started to slow down and the radio shut off I couldn't even role the windows up when the car is running I am getting a slight squeal from the alternator area checked the battery it was showing 0 volts I let the car sit and the battery recovered enough so I could start it and get it home now I am trying to get it into the dealer to get it fixed I already called my extended warranty people and they said it will be covered with a $100 deductible

1 - 12 of 12 Posts