Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning while driving to a client in DC, I had to swerve into the right lane to avoid an unmarked Impala apparently driven by a uniformed LEO.

This happened on Braddock Road before approaching the Fairfax County Parkway. I was in the left lane, doing the speed limit (maybe 47mph). The dark gray Impala comes out of the neighborhood on my left to cross the median. I have no idea how he didn't see me. It was around 7:14am, so it wasn't that dark outside, I had my all my lights turned on. If it was a gray car, that's one thing. :4-dontknow:

There wasn't anybody in the right lane. I was able to swerve out of the way. I was able to return to the left lane in a safe manner. The car passes me on my right and the officer was wearing a tan uniform, so he wasn't a State Trooper. It's possible he wasn't a LEO, but the car had a few extras (radio antenna, etc..). This really freaked me out, because the alternative would have been very painful. Stupid s*** happens. It pays to pay attention.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

Reactions: Latenite1

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
I know that area, Christina, and it's a good thing they have widened the road there. I'll bet it wasn't a LEO, but a security firm employee. I've seen law enforcement looking vehicles with different uniformed personnel before around your area down there.

Glad to here you're unscratched, and let's just say that probably won't be the last time.

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I agree it could happen again. I consider myself a very good driver (most of the time). You're probably right that it's not a LEO. They are better drives most of the time. I've had my fair share of driving weirdness, even up around Paris Heights/Bluemont.

·
13,007 Posts
Glad he didn't hit you, it would have been a lot worse.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
About 20 years ago while I was working the early shift where I had to be on duty at 06:00, I was on my way to work early when two knuckleheads in different cars were playing stupid road games coming up behind me. Up ahead, the light just turned red and an elderly woman had stopped in the center lane. The two knuckleheads signaled to each other and one pulled up on each side of her and stopped. I thought to myself, "This does not look good, I hope she has her doors locked." To my surprise, they each start blowing their horns and both pointing and waving at the old woman as they both start slowly backing up. A$$holes! So she starts to panic, and I'm behind her and I can see that she starts to stomp on the brake harder a few times and then while still in a panic, stomps on the gas shooting into the path of an on-coming car from the left.
She gets hit and spun sideways totally destroying her car. To make a long story short... The knuckleheads were having a good laugh as they run from the scene but I stayed and turned their plate numbers over to the cops and explained what happened.

I don't know the end result. But I hope they did something. That woman was really screwed up from the accident.

-John

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,906 Posts
Scary isn't it? About 10 years ago I was headed back to SC pulling my utility trailer when all of a sudden a state trooper came flying out of a side road sideways right in front of me. Came all the way across the road onto the shoulder and then took of from the direction I was coming from. We were only a few seconds apart from him slamming into the side of me. People just don't think.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,868 Posts
This world is full of $hitty drivers!!! And most of them are texting while driving.

BEWARE!!!!

:doh:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,055 Posts
Geez, these are all scary stories! Christina, so glad you were paying attention. I wouldn't probably last a week in the traffic some of you deal with. Sometimes I am lucky to meet a couple of cars on my 30 mile trip to town!

·
Premium Member
24,717 Posts
Texting, phones, eating, inattention.

You always have to drive defensively. :SHOCKED:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,021 Posts
I'm glad nothing happened to you or your Challenger, Christina, and thank you for the reminder. Old driver's ed mantra, but always drive defensively. I try to avoid assuming another driver sees me, and I rarely insist on the right-of-way. If I arrive at a four-way stop and another driver stops at my right or left, I usually just wave them through, or flash my lights to let them know I'm yielding. Since I can't get inside another driver's head, I can't assume they will follow the same rules or protocols that everyone else is suppose to adhere to.

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Traffic hazards....

Yesterday morning while driving to a client in DC, I had to swerve into the right lane to avoid an unmarked Impala apparently driven by a uniformed LEO.

This happened on Braddock Road before approaching the Fairfax County Parkway. I was in the left lane, doing the speed limit (maybe 47mph). The dark gray Impala comes out of the neighborhood on my left to cross the median. I have no idea how he didn't see me. It was around 7:14am, so it wasn't that dark outside, I had my all my lights turned on. If it was a gray car, that's one thing. :4-dontknow:

There wasn't anybody in the right lane. I was able to swerve out of the way. I was able to return to the left lane in a safe manner. The car passes me on my right and the officer was wearing a tan uniform, so he wasn't a State Trooper. It's possible he wasn't a LEO, but the car had a few extras (radio antenna, etc..). This really freaked me out, because the alternative would have been very painful. Stupid s*** happens. It pays to pay attention.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.
Christina;

Please do keep your full 100% attention on your driving while out and scan
the mirrors frequently. I used to live for a number of years just south of
Alexandria, and a few miles north of Ft. Belvior and saw many many car
wrecks and fatalities. Seems the more congested an area, the more that
this creates frustration and make folks do "unsafe" things in their vehicles.

My Sister still lives in the area (Springfield) and she is always telling me a
story or two of horrific accidents and crazy driving in this area....

Stay safe and enjoy that Challenger, you will see folks looking over at you!

:smileup:

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Christina;

Please do keep your full 100% attention on your driving while out and scan
the mirrors frequently. I used to live for a number of years just south of
Alexandria, and a few miles north of Ft. Belvior and saw many many car
wrecks and fatalities. Seems the more congested an area, the more that
this creates frustration and make folks do "unsafe" things in their vehicles.

My Sister still lives in the area (Springfield) and she is always telling me a
story or two of horrific accidents and crazy driving in this area....

Stay safe and enjoy that Challenger, you will see folks looking over at you!

:smileup:
Thank you and I will. :smileup: I drive 25,000 miles :SHOCKED::SHOCKED::SHOCKED::SHOCKED:a year because I am a consultant. It's totally crazy, but that's my life. I go anywhere from Lake Caroline in Virginia to Baltimore, MD. I think the worst drive I ever had was driving in a blizzard to Martinsburg, WV because Uncle Sam said I had to do so.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Geez, these are all scary stories! Christina, so glad you were paying attention. I wouldn't probably last a week in the traffic some of you deal with. Sometimes I am lucky to meet a couple of cars on my 30 mile trip to town!
Momma B - you dont know the half of it.... Driving in the DC area is a recipe for disaster.... If you can imagine how stupid our politicians are and translate that to the brain power of many of the drivers in this area, you'll start to get a sense of what driving around here is like.

To give you a small taste, just in the past week I saw the following while driving to/from work.

1) A woman driving with her knees with both hands off the wheel. One hand manipulating the rear view mirror while the other had a small pair of scissors trying to trim either her eyebrows or eyelashes (not sure which as I got the hell away from her when I realized what she was doing) - all while we are going 65 MPH on the beltway. Cant imagine what would hapen with scissors near eyes if she hit something...

2) A guy driving on the interstate while unfolding and reading a newspaper (completely open like a windshield sunscreen)

3) A utility van towing a small compressor on a trailer, bobbing in and out of traffic like he was a Carrerra 911 at an autocross event. That trailer was swaying so bad side to side it almost hit 2 cars on either lane.

and I wont even comment on the texting while driving.....Its like a modern version of gladiator out here....

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Cristina - hopefully you'll survive your travels safely enough that we'll see you at Freddy's this spring when Custards and Challenger starts up again - be safe!!!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,055 Posts
ply67cuda,

Oh my gosh, your stories make me sooooo glad I live in the sticks!! Further south of me in the Nebraska Sandhills, you can take the north/south routes and maybe not see another car for 60 miles!! It is the most awesome place to drive in late May/early June. The beautiful, peaceful, green rolling hills and lots of blue sky!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Momma B - please dont take this the wrong way (like in a creepy sort of way), but one day I am going to have to drive up to see you and expereince what sounds like heaven on earth to someone who has to live in an automotive backwater such as DC. I just cant imagine what it must be like to drive for half an hour and not see another vehicle. Must be nice to be able to open it up without worrying about non-drivers, yahoos, ricers, grannies (and gramps too!) doing 30 in a 60, or quota seeking cops hiding behind bushes and billboards every mile with radar guns a-blazin.

I happen to live in one of the few remaning "rural" counties left in MD. Rurual around here is is defined as less than 75,000 folks in the whole county, as opposed to DC which has that many people in a 10 city block square area. But I work in and around DC, as do quite a few on the forum and its not much fun commuting in and out. If it wasnt for the local Challenger & Mopar get togethers around here - and the cool people who crew them - it would be much harder. Maybe one day you can shoot a video out your windshield for miles and miles and I can enjoy seeing NOTHING coming at me the other way - lol!!!

Take care - Andres

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.