• Yes. Why wouldn’t you?

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No. It perfect just the way it is.

Votes: 14 56.0%
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
On my HC, other than PPF, rock guards and paint protection, I completely agree. I don't want or need more.
That being said it is the only car I've had in 65 years of owning them that I didn't want to modify.

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Scat Pack widebody
59 Posts
I started talking to a builder (AMP) the day I ordered my 2022 Challenger SP WB. I plan to run the car in the MSHS races next year in the Legmaker 11.5 class. I built a 2013 Challenger SRT to a 426 stroker. Car ran a best ET of 11.2. My plan is to get to low 11s without stroking the 392. Scott at AMP advises long tube headers, cam, TQ converter, ported intake and tuning should get me there. Based on my experience building the 2013 the car should be capable of that without stroking due to the different trans (5sp vs 8sp). If I wasn't going to track the car in competitive races I could be very happy with it in stock form.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My only major upgrade was to go 275 all on all 4 corners. Much better handling
275’s and a Barton were the only things I was considering but I’m going to wait since I’m enjoying it so much the way it is.

Oh yeah, The Mopar TA Ram Air setup. Even if it doesn’t add HP on the Dyno it has to push more air in at higher speeds.

And it looks cool.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
IMO, Modding today is popular because we finally have cars today, that actually can be modded.

If your Challenger is under full warranty, modding should be the absolute furthest thing from your thoughts. Not something you have to convince yourself not to do, but something you just don't think about at all. Because if you even entertain those thoughts eventually you will do it, and it may start as small as wheel valve stem caps.

For The Record:

The 392 Scat Pack is already 2nd to the top of the food chain as far as Dodge is concerned! The only time modding the 392 for performance becomes an itch is when one too many Honda Civics leave you at a red light, because the 245 tires, spun like butter, and you couldn't get traction. But that's when you say, it's alright, I meant for it to go that way, and that may be 100% good enough.

There are 2 basic types of modders, those that do it themselves for the sheer satisfaction of accomplishment, like returning to the old Shade Tree Mechanic days. And those that pay to have some shop or service do it all for them, and usually end up paying at least 1/3rd and sometimes 1/2 what the upgrade actually costs. But as long as happiness is fulfilled in being #2 in the food chain of Dodge, then Don't Worry Be Happy!

Also an early, Happy Thanksgiving to All! and To All, A Good Night! :) Ry

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
4,972 Posts
IMO, Modding today is popular because we finally have cars today, that actually can be modded.

If your Challenger is under full warranty, modding should be the absolute furthest thing from your thoughts. Not something you have to convince yourself not to do, but something you just don't think about at all. Because if you even entertain those thoughts eventually you will do it, and it may start as small as wheel valve stem caps.

For The Record:

The 392 Scat Pack is already 2nd to the top of the food chain as far as Dodge is concerned! The only time modding the 392 for performance becomes an itch is when one too many Honda Civics leave you at a red light, because the 245 tires, spun like butter, and you couldn't get traction. But that's when you say, it's alright, I meant for it to go that way, and that may be 100% good enough.

There are 2 basic types of modders, those that do it themselves for the sheer satisfaction of accomplishment, like returning to the old Shade Tree Mechanic days. And those that pay to have some shop or service do it all for them, and usually end up paying at least 1/3rd and sometimes 1/2 what the upgrade actually costs. But as long as happiness is fulfilled in being #2 in the food chain of Dodge, then Don't Worry Be Happy!

Also an early, Happy Thanksgiving to All! and To All, A Good Night! :) Ry
"because the 245 tires, spun like butter"

This is why I think Dodge got it right with the WB configuration. Like the looks or not, those 305's hook up! Perfect (at least in warm weather) balance of power to gription. IMO.

Reactions: McDigger and RyzRT

·
Registered
379 Posts
OP, I love all Challengers in all the ways their owners keep and drive and adore them. But I'm in the very same boat as you, which I kinda think may be in the minority. While I really, truly enjoy seeing the ways folks mod their beauties, personally - and this is just me - I have no desire to do any mods. I love her just the way she is, OE from the factory, which is absolutely perfect IMHO.

I did put in some "factory licensed" Lloyd mats with logos, and I ordered and installed the OE MOPAR door sill plates, but that's the extent of what I'm doing.

But no hate and only love here for all of em.:)

ETA, back when we had our Charger SP, I did add a Petty's Garage strut tower bar. But I think I've decided I'm probably not gonna do it on the Challenger, or at least not for a good while if ever.

·
Premium Member
2017 GREEN GO HELLCAT CHALLENGER
961 Posts
On my first challenger, a hurst edition, I left it alone. On my beloved plum crazy purple hellcat, left it stock. On this green go hellcat, I've modded it to try to make me love it ... jury is still out

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I haven't done as many mods on my Hellcat as I did on R/T, but the money spent is about the same. I modded my 2013 R/T Classic with aftermarket wheels, wider tires, Corsa catback exhaust system, CAI, oil-separator (catch can), Diablo Trinity Tuner, Pedal Commander, and several interior and exterior trim and appearance enhancements.

To date, I've modded my 2015 HC with a carbon fiber CAI, catch can, and most recently a Barton short-throw shifter (this is one mod that makes a noticeable change in the way the Tremec shifts and I LOVE the improvement) along with a Speed Dawg shifter knob (appearance mod, but it's badassed). There's really not much more that I need or want to have modded on the Hellcat unless I get into serious track racing. I love the stock exhaust note and let's face it, installing a Pedal Commander on a Hellcat is just plain superfluous.

One thing I learned from the untold thousands I spent modding my R/T in the 8 years I owned her is that when it came to trading her in, not one of those mods added a penny to its trade-in value. As a trade-in, the dealership even asked me to revert most of the mods back to stock (glad I kept the OE parts). Mods might help in a private sale if the buyer is an enthusiast and knows what performance mods add to the car, but most buyers are not enthusiasts and won't care. Some will even shy away from a car that has been modded in the belief that a modded car is an abused car.
Yep, extreme modding is not for the meek or those with shallow pockets. Never done for a return on investment, in fact a great buy for the next guy who appreciates what you’ve done. Myself, I go for uniqueness and know it’ll be in my garage for a long time.

·
Registered
2015 SP Shaker
764 Posts
As we all know, perfect is in the eye of the beholder.

When it comes to performance, I've done a minimal amount. Not for extra horsepower, just for a better driving experience. Billet Technologies OCC, 275 Firestone performance tires and Hellcat lower CAI tube.

The rest are cometic and reflecting my personality 🤠.

The only way to truly make it "your car" is to add something to it or enhance it.

·
Registered
2022 Challenger ScatPack 6 spd
47 Posts
No you're not. While I haven't done it yet, I'm leaning towards a catback system; either Magnaflow Xmod or Borla Sport. That the only performance mod I'll do. Anything else will be visual. I installed my signature pinstripes, and tomorrow I'm installing some LED yellow fog lights. Installed LED maplight last week
Rims are remaining because I actually like how they look, but once the tires wear, I'll be going to 275

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
362 Posts
I'm still amazed that you can buy a car with all of the "mods" already on it. I remember when people bought cars and upgraded the exhaust, put in a "chip", and upgraded the brakes. That stuff is already done for you with a Scat Pack when you buy the car. I've thought about modifying my car, but I have other vehicles I want to modify. I'd rather build a nice 440 for my 1980 D150.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
973 Posts
When I bought my 2012 R/T 5.7L A8. It was completely stock, just like every other R/T. I wanted something that was my own, so I modified the hell out of it. When I was finished, I had a slightly<500HP R/T, and it was mine. Unlike theirs, those or yours, it was mine, a one and only. Now I plan to do it all over again on my 21, R/T Shaker, 5.7L, A6. I'll probably go with a little more radical cam this time, so the Shaker really shakes. I plan on making it a 500+ hp, just for the fun of it...

·
Registered
302 Posts
"because the 245 tires, spun like butter"

This is why I think Dodge got it right with the WB configuration. Like the looks or not, those 305's hook up! Perfect (at least in warm weather) balance of power to gription. IMO.
Saying the 305's hook up is a stretch. They may hook slightly better than the 275's, but they are still horrible. anything under 40 mph, and I would spin (and that was when it was stock).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the OEM stuff. Mine is a 09 SRT8 with very low production numbers. When I found this car it had not been taken care of. I had to replace both visors and a few other things . Have to get the rust monster taken care of on both fenders and a good paint job with factory paint .Only mod is I put high flow cats on it .There is 143,000 miles on it I'm 59 and this will be my last car I buy. Have a 02 1500 with 243,00 mile that runs like a top . Not a big mod guy but that's me

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay. Now for something different.
I’ve had my Scat Pack for almost a year now and I have absolutely no desire to mod it at all. I am very happy with the way it was designed and built by Dodge. A perfect balance to me. There are occasions when a shorter throw on the shifts feels like a welcome change but not enough for me to actually change it. The 245’s give enough grip for the spirited driving I do and maybe keep me in check. Now I am not criticizing people that mod theirs just wondering how many others feel like me.
100% agree. My 210' WBSP w/Shaker is plenty
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts