Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly didn't know this. Tires come with a born-on date! I know some of you will ring in that you've known about it all along, but for me this is new information. And I even re-upped my AARP membership for another year, LOL!
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
there was an article that i had read, i don't remember if it was online or not, but it seems that costco has the freshest tires because they change so many of them. only thing is, they will only replace original manufacturer tires on the car. so if you got aftermarket or a different size, you will get what was on the car from the factory.
good info from aarp

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,916 Posts
I honestly didn't know this. Tires come with a born-on date! I know some of you will ring in that you've known about it all along, but for me this is new information. And I even re-upped my AARP membership for another year, LOL!
View attachment 304012
I am keenly aware of this living where I do. 6 years is as long as I keep tires on a car. In one case BFG tires did not even make 5 years before cracks started appearing in the sidewalls and even the tread.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,695 Posts
Became quite aware of tire life when I got my first Porsche. The factory was adamant tires were only good for 6 years. 'course, my usage was such the tires wore out long before 6 years rolled around.

But even so the worn tires were hard and slick from the heat cycling.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Tires shouldn't be used for more than 10 yrs (per Tire Rack). Don't forget about that spare tire in the trunk! I know I do!

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,260 Posts
Thank You John, I did not know that, Immediately went out and checked mine, the fronts were made in 20 the rears in 21! :)

·
Registered
2012 Challenger SRT-8
310 Posts
I found out about the tire date code about 10 years or so ago. Very important detail whenever buying a car or "new" tires from anywhere.

·
Premium Member
20,449 Posts
I learned that information from here a long time ago. Prior to that, I had no clue.
Good to buy tires from places that turn them over quickly. Tire Rack has been able to provide me with an estimate within about 6 mos. provided you ask and the rep is on the ball.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger M6 Hellcat
4 Posts
Yep. Tire stores won't even deal with tires that are over 10 years old. I swapped out the tires on my wife's rarely driven car after 10 years, and they didn't even have more than about 7k on them.

On my Hellcat, it's not an issue!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there was an article that i had read, i don't remember if it was online or not, but it seems that costco has the freshest tires because they change so many of them
I think so. I checked the manufacture date for the tires mounted on my DD (Michelin AS). The manufacture date was 0121 (first week in January 2021) and I bought them at the end of February 2021.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I found out about that a couple years ago when searching for tires online. My Motivos were made in 2017. Got some slight cracking along the outside tread edges. None on the sidewalls. I want to replace them within the next year anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts