Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 se Automatic Challenger may need new engine.
Can it be upgraded with 5.7 hemi v8 or faster engine? Since I may need to replace why not improve abit.
The suspension is going bad and I have a whine, 105,000 miles on it.
If I did upgrade what all do I need to get for the swap?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,041 Posts
Welcome from AZ, can it be done, probably, will it be a worthwhile, no. Dollar wise your best path is to replace the engine with the same 3.5.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What's wrong with the engine? Anything is possible but with all the computers, tuning, transmission upgrades, suspension upgrades. Fixing the current engine would be the cheaper route.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes you can swap but your rebuilding the Car and total Electrical System to do so then the modding custom fabrication etc, a newer next level car is going to be cheaper and better in the end, & even a newer model SXT with the 3.6 is a vast improvement. You can get an SXT or RT cheaper then the upgrades and time in work ...

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,554 Posts
I wish. I can't get a loan.
Take the money you're going to use for engine replacement and put down with your trade and you'll surely get a loan. But if none of that is a viable option, rebuilding what you have will be the cheapest easiest route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes you can swap but your rebuilding the Car and total Electrical System to do so then the modding custom fabrication etc, a newer next level car is going to be cheaper and better in the end, & even a newer model SXT with the 3.6 is a vast improvement. You can get an SXT or RT cheaper then the upgrades and time in work ...
A 09 that's within 75 miles from me are 20k. Are we looking at this much? I paid 10

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take the money you're going to use for engine replacement and put down with your trade and you'll surely get a loan. But if none of that is a viable option, rebuilding what you have will be the cheapest easiest route.
Ok we have that option available.

What's needed if I do the swap?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I rebuild you will super charge. How transmission handle.

The reason for new engine because I read here too many miles to put a super charger

·
Registered
221 Posts
Supercharge a 3.5? id not bother its more expensive then trading up a couple years newer to say an 11 -12 SXT that has 55 more HP no mods needed. This is providing your car is in good shape, no accidents, and fairly low miles on it. You never just slap on a Super Charger on any engine and its good to go. Besides a 3.5 good luck on finding the parts and in the long run you will end up paying thrtough the teeth. You maybe able to do a 3.6 update with minimal work and surely the Pentastar 3.6 is a way better engine to keep the Gas Miliage and gain HP with various other updates that make it a much nicer car.

As for going to a Hemi its not even remotely an easy swap or worthy unless your say working in a Wrecking / Junkyard and can easily get the parts for a Project. These Breed of Cars don't just bolt and go like the old ones do with upgrades. You got a PCM Computer to deal with Sensors, The Wiring Harness is different from a V6 to the Hemi etc.,

·
Registered
221 Posts
Next options are this and yet expensive, Larger Throttle Body, Different Injectors, Convert to a True Dual Exhaust, Computer Tune, and Rear End Update eaiser then an Engine Swap...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know what parts is needed to swap the engine?

I have searched around and nobody ever answers the question.

There are people with the same car on youtube that put hemis in but they are not as accessible as people on this forum.
Last comment from the car owner "don't listen to them do it it's cheaper" if it doesn't cost 10 grand and I get a new engine and transmission I rather have that car than pay 10,000 more for a car at almost 100k miles.

If anyone here has the knowledge please provide the list what's needed so I can decide if it's worth it for me.

Thanks

·
Administrator
53,041 Posts
@7.2chllngr , might be able to provide answers . Although If you have to ask these questions I don't Think you Are in a position To do this swap.

·
Registered
221 Posts
To update to a Hemi, Cooling System Newer Wiring Harness, New Cross Member, ENGINE, Computer, Suspension Upgrade for the Weight in Front and Rear for Handling it right, Drive Shaft update, Rear End Update its not just a engine remove bolt in ... You will spend more then 10K to do it and do it right......... I do listen next I am a former ASE Mechanic and Body / Painter. It's not Viable, It's Not Cheap, its basically Modifying the whole Car. Each Car is designed for what they have in them to begin with... There is no kit and number by number to do this swap its hit miss Modifying and research time and expense... Not sure what more your really wanting here. You need in short a R/T Donor Car to do it right ... You going to dump over 10k at least when all is said and done.

·
Administrator
53,041 Posts
A 09 that's within 75 miles from me are 20k. Are we looking at this much? I paid 10
Where do you live that a 2009 R/T sells for 20k? They should not be much more than 10 to 12 k with average mileage and in decent shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where do you live that a 2009 R/T sells for 20k? They should not be much more than 10 to 12 k with average mileage and in decent shape.
There are 2 here and 1 is 18000 the other is 20000 the cheaper one has 89000 miles. There is one in new jersey for 14,700 with 77,000 miles but it has been in an accident. There is a 2010 in indiana for 28,000 with 12000 miles. There is a list of these car not slot but they are there the site states fair below and overpriced. They are almost all tagged over priced. The theme is lower milage and high tag. But even high mileage is 18-20k

There is one 09 in with 89k for 17ish states it's a fair deal. But it is an orange car. Lol.

Now the SE 09 many are 10-12 grand with the exception of the high mileage for 14000 2010 model.

Hell there's a 30000 rt with 2k miles on it.

I'm in va but I looked everywhere too. What's not worth it is buying one with high mileage. Maybe you are on a different coast where they Are cheaper. Not the case over here. I won't lie it is fun window shopping

1 - 20 of 28 Posts