Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've decided too many shakers around and time for a change on my B5 baby. After careful research and alot of going back and forth on design of hood I wanted, I settled on a TA version, as that was the original plan before I bought my Cervini's shaker. I know alot of you are stuck on the MOPAR parts only thing and that's fine, but sometimes one has to think outside the box, to get the products that suits him/her best. This one also fits in the bumblebee Scat pack theme, I am going for. In this case, I chose an aftermarket AIT hood, that is sold on fleabay among other places. It's a pretty cheap (in cost) hood compared to the normal suspects, but it is not cheaply made. It satisfied my requirement to look like the 2000's MOPAR version and be functional at the same time. As many of yolu know, the MOPAR TA hood has the airbox on backorder forever. This one allows use of a top feed airbox, I chose a Rotofab as they made one that is specifically for a Magnasun SC. It mates up perfectly to the hole for the cold air from the hood. I'd encourage anyone else considering a TA hood to consider this brand. Please, no comments about the mounting. It is not aligned perfectly, I'll let the body shop do that when it gets painted. Also have an a set of reproduction 70 TA hood pins (costs alot less than the new MOPAR version and does the job) enroute.

Anyways, here are a few teaser shots of the car/hood and engine bay to give you'all an idea. As a gratuitous plug: my shaker is still for sale in the parts section, good price (and I really need to sell it to get this puppy painted!!) Enjoy:

Reactions: wyo.hemi

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Looks good! Just wondering...and this only occurred to me. You've said you wanted to get rid of your Shaker because so many cars will soon have one (or already do). Aren't there a lot of cars with the T/A hood?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good! Just wondering...and this only occurred to me. You've said you wanted to get rid of your Shaker because so many cars will soon have one (or already do). Aren't there a lot of cars with the T/A hood?
That was only one reason for getting rid of it. I initially wanted to do a MOPAR TA hood as a tribute to a B3 TA Challenger I had back in the day, but in '10 when I bought the car, the hoods were on nationwide backorder for almost a year. Now the airboxes are on backorder. Then, once I got the SC, I just had a hard time covering it up. To me it's like art. Then, there's just not many B5's, w a TA hood, MOPAR or aftermarket. That is because the Mopar Exterior Package was not offered on RT Classics and SRT's, and that is the only cars that got B5 in 09 and 10. Most, as I'm sure you see here, will not put that much money into their cars, unless they can put it into the car payment, much like the 14 shakers and soon to be 15 shakers will do. And, most that do put money into their cars, do it for performance mods,not appearance items. So, just as before the factory shakers came out, there just wasn't all that many people that had shakers, considering the total of Challengers around. Then there's the option of the shaker package will be available on the 15 B5's, increasing the amount of my color with a shaker. Sorry, bad enough I have to hear the "you got a faker shaker" from those holier than thou types, don't need to see 2,3,4,5 of the same car I have at a car show, driving down the highway, etc. Just as with my Cervini's rear wing on a B5, I'd bet there may be a handful of B5's nationwide with a TA hood and most of them will be Hurst cars (very rare). I know I sound a bit insecure and/or juvenile, but it's like OCD for me, cannot stand to see a duplicate of mine, gots to have something different, something personal. :smileup: Lastly, I had considered trading mine on a '15 RT SP (non shaker) or Hellcat if the prices were reasonable. This lets me change mine up to keep it interesting to me, and doesn't cost as much as a new car.
Have any offers on yours? Nothing serious on mine. Packed it up in the box this morning and stuck it in my shed. :4-looney:
I'll post udate pics when I get it painted.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Regardless of the manufacturer, buy the aftermarket items that meet your standards. I'm happy you found a hood you like.

BTW, what color will you paint the hood - body color, body color with a different color scoop, overall black? With a T/A hood I'm partial to matte black, just like on the 1970 model.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to paint it body color with some custom graphix on the scoop. Most of the ones I've seen on other cars are either having a black hood or a black scoop.That's a good look, but I'm going in a different direction. My plan is not to copy the old TA's, moreover, to have a look that someone in the early 70's,modding their RT, could or would have done (like me!!:Wow1:). It will take me a few months to get the money to paint it, unless, I can sell the old shaker fairly quickly. I also plan to have the scoop glassed in to make a more smooth appearance, which is propably the only thing I find at fault with the MOPAR version. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I love my T/A hood, it's been the best appearance decision I've made to the car. I hardly ever see a Challenger with one, and when I do it's usually the same color as the car (never seen a B5 T/A). I went with the matte black wrap on mine (1970 t/a style), but I know you'll be happy with the route your going with yours.

It's funny that you mentioned the fact that your hood works perfect with your maggie (which is awesome!). As luck would have it for me, the factory hood works perfect with my procharger as I'm able to remove the air inlet arm to the system which allows the air to be directed straight to the air filter on the procharger system.

Anyways, Good luck with your other hood sale and I hope you get your hood painted soon. Be sure and post some pictures of it when you get it back from the paint shop.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
That was only one reason for getting rid of it. I initially wanted to do a MOPAR TA hood as a tribute to a B3 TA Challenger I had back in the day, but in '10 when I bought the car, the hoods were on nationwide backorder for almost a year. Now the airboxes are on backorder. Then, once I got the SC, I just had a hard time covering it up. To me it's like art. Then, there's just not many B5's, w a TA hood, MOPAR or aftermarket. That is because the Mopar Exterior Package was not offered on RT Classics and SRT's, and that is the only cars that got B5 in 09 and 10. Most, as I'm sure you see here, will not put that much money into their cars, unless they can put it into the car payment, much like the 14 shakers and soon to be 15 shakers will do. And, most that do put money into their cars, do it for performance mods,not appearance items. So, just as before the factory shakers came out, there just wasn't all that many people that had shakers, considering the total of Challengers around. Then there's the option of the shaker package will be available on the 15 B5's, increasing the amount of my color with a shaker. Sorry, bad enough I have to hear the "you got a faker shaker" from those holier than thou types, don't need to see 2,3,4,5 of the same car I have at a car show, driving down the highway, etc. Just as with my Cervini's rear wing on a B5, I'd bet there may be a handful of B5's nationwide with a TA hood and most of them will be Hurst cars (very rare). I know I sound a bit insecure and/or juvenile, but it's like OCD for me, cannot stand to see a duplicate of mine, gots to have something different, something personal. :smileup: Lastly, I had considered trading mine on a '15 RT SP (non shaker) or Hellcat if the prices were reasonable. This lets me change mine up to keep it interesting to me, and doesn't cost as much as a new car.
Gotcha....makes perfect sense to me. Completely understand the desire to be different. Lucky for me there don't seem to be a ton of Blackberry Challengers, even less with a Shaker, and yet still even less with the Shaker painted gold. :)

Have any offers on yours? Nothing serious on mine. Packed it up in the box this morning and stuck it in my shed. :4-looney:
Talking with a guy from the forum...hope it works out. :smileup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts