Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,348 Posts
So true! I find myself either turning it off or at least putting it to city mode during wet road conditions.
I've had mine for about 6 months now, but last Saturday was the first time I used it in "damp" weather. We had heavy fog here in SoCal (part of the reason why Kobe's helicopter went down last Sunday) and I had the PC in Sport+ mode plus two. Three times from a dead stop, I fishtailed my Challenger because the rear wheels spun too fast and broke loose. I waited until I could pull out of traffic to set my setting back to Sport mode at neutral level (didn't want to change the setting while the car was in motion and risk tripping a throttle sensor CEL, and going into limp mode). Foggy weather and mist slicked up the roads and drew up all that nasty road grease and oil. Just another lesson-learned on how to drive with a Pedal Commander.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Do all PC31's work for the Challenger? So if I come across a good deal on eBay for example and it says PC31 taken off a Ram truck, will that still work on the Challenger?

·
Registered
420 Posts
My bad. Should have thought of that. It does say "Pedal Commander PC31 is specifically made for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram Vehicles" and list all different years so guess it does.

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
Do all PC31's work for the Challenger? So if I come across a good deal on eBay for example and it says PC31 taken off a Ram truck, will that still work on the Challenger?
Yep... Long as its the PC31... I forget where but there's a guy that users his on his Ram truck and Challenger... But yea... Long as its the PC31.
Just confirming what Shooter and Trimec said, the PC 31 is the correct model for the Challenger 07' - 19'. See link below :

·
More Than Just A Car
20,375 Posts
My bad. Should have thought of that. It does say "Pedal Commander PC31 is specifically made for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram Vehicles" and list all different years so guess it does.
Yep... Long as its the PC31... I forget where but there's a guy that users his on his Ram truck and Challenger... But yea... Long as its the PC31.
Yup I use mine in both my 11 Ram and my 09 Challenger !!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,348 Posts
3. Only draw back, and its a minor one, is that the sticky side of the velcro does not stay attached to the side of the console. Will use a couple of small pieces of double sided 3m tape to solve that minor problem.
Hi Art,

I didn't mount my Pedal Commander using the Velcro because of the same reason. I just thought it wouldn't last. Instead I placed it on the forward console where (surprisingly) it doesn't move. And because of this placement, I was able to avoid pulling back my carpet or opening the plastic trim under the steering wheel.

Instead, I wedged the PC cable under the center console trim. Come to think of it, it's probably the angle and shortness of the PC cable that keeps the Pedal Commander module in place. I just use the Android app to change mode settings.

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
Hi Art,

I didn't mount my Pedal Commander using the Velcro because of the same reason. I just thought it wouldn't last. Instead I just placed it on the forward console where (surprisingly) it doesn't move. And because of this placement, I was able to avoid pulling back my carpet or opening the plastic trim under the steering wheel.

Instead, I wedged the PC cable under the center console trim. Come to think of it, it's probably the angle and shortness of the PC cable that keeps the Pedal Commander module in place. I just use the Android app to change mode settings.

View attachment 244224
View attachment 244225
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the pics and description of your PC location. Looks like a nice clean install. Wish I would have seen it 2 hours ago. :)

Yesterday I went out and bought some two sided tape and put a piece on the back of the bracket and stuck it on the side of the console this morning. I did run my cable along the same route as you though. What I like about yours is it will be easy to hide the bracket somewhere when you bring it to the dealer for service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What about a Pedal Commander installed on a 2019 Challenger R/T still under warranty? Would the car benefit? Can the fact that the Pedal Commander had ever been installed be detected if it is removed for a warranty issue?

The device is intriguing.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
What about a Pedal Commander installed on a 2019 Challenger R/T still under warranty? Would the car benefit? Can the fact that the Pedal Commander had ever been installed be detected if it is removed for a warranty issue?

Some here have installed it on R/T's...
As far as being detectable... Nope take it off and it can't be detected... Like it was never there.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,348 Posts
What I like about yours is it will be easy to hide the bracket somewhere when you bring it to the dealer for service.
Given the age of our R/T's, I don't think we have anything to worry about :). But even if we both rocked 2020 Redeye's, the PC is still non-compromising!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,348 Posts

You can even leave it in plain view because it's not a warranty issue. It doesn't alter or modify the PCM or ECU, it just bypasses the throttle sensor input circuit to remove throttle lag.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does removal of throttle lag contribute to actual improved acceleration performance or does it only change the feel of the throttle response?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it difficult to change the settings on the Pedal Commander? Can one just change them on the device without using apps? I'm a computer nitwit.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,348 Posts
Does removal of throttle lag contribute to actual improved acceleration performance or does it only change the feel of the throttle response?
Removes throttle lag but adds no HP. Throttle response is instantaneous and can induce neck-snapping and a jerky launch from a dead stop in Sport+ mode until you learn how to finesse the gas pedal. But City and Sport modes are much more manageable.
Is it difficult to change the settings on the Pedal Commander? Can one just change them on the device without using apps? I'm a computer nitwit.
Easy as pressing the Mylar buttons on the device face. I just like the Android app better.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts

I installed the Pedal Commander on my wifes 2019 Charger SXT her Chargers throttle lag was real bad, you start depressing the gas slowly nothing happened, a little more still nothing, and a little more and the car finally started moving. Her situation was the best use of the Pedal Commander because her new SXT does not have Sport mode something we actually did not even notice when we bought the car. She previously owned a Challenger SXT that the pedal Commander was originally installed on that did have Sport mode, the settings we used on that car were City Plus 2, so I just assumed the same settings would work on the new SXT, but using City Plus 2 setting still had throttle lag? Once I realized her new car did not have Sport Mode I started increasing her setting until I got to the Sport setting plus 2, and it now responds pretty much as close as you could want to a mechanical linkage, you depress the gas pedal and the car moves, and that's what we wanted. An unexpected effect is the car is actually fun to drive now, you depress the gas pedal and she flat gets down the road, my wife is going to have to retrain her foot or have worse gas mileage than she was proudly getting, which was one reason we really did not care that the car did not have Sport mode, she was after the best gas mileage she could get.

"Would the car benefit?" Your R/T 5.7L will definitely benefit!

"Can the fact that the Pedal Commander had ever been installed be detected if it is removed for a warranty issue?"
No.

Yes it absolutely improves acceleration performance my wifes 2019 SXT is proof of that.

No it is not difficult to change the settings I've probably used the Bluetooth Phone App maybe once, but in this situation is is just easier to go straight to the unit, some like the App because you can tuck the unit away out of sight and still change the settings, but mine is accessible.

This device is 100% user friendly you will not have any trouble using it, because it is about as simple as you can get.

On my Challenger when I take it to the dealer I simply turn it off, and tuck it into the pocket under the steering wheel, it fits perfectly in there, and when it is turned off it is undetectable, been to the dealership many times and they've never discovered it.

I bought my Pedal Commander to remove the throttle lag that my 2015 Challenger R/T had, my car wasn't real bad with the throttle lag but it did have it, and I wanted to get as close to an actual mechanical linkage as I could and on my 5.7 that was the City Plus 2 setting, that when you began pressing the pedal the car moved, and that's what I wanted.

The Pedal Commander has the ability to either advance or retard the signal the throttle pedal sends to the ECM the Engine Control Module, so you have full control in those settings, BUT, the Pedal Commander only changes how the ECM perceives the throttle signal, it does not change or add any performance that is horsepower related, it just changes the throttle response signal, and the ECM controls not only the engine but the transmission response as well.

I hope this helps in your understanding. :) Ry

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Hi Art,

I didn't mount my Pedal Commander using the Velcro because of the same reason. I just thought it wouldn't last. Instead I placed it on the forward console where (surprisingly) it doesn't move. And because of this placement, I was able to avoid pulling back my carpet or opening the plastic trim under the steering wheel.

View attachment 244224
View attachment 244225
That thing is huge, and so is the cable for it...

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
My phone is older than dirt so I don't use an app to operate the PC. The only thing to remember when changing settings ( whether using the App or pressing the unit itself) is to come to a complete stop before doing so.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts