Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the works of getting a 426 stroker kit for my 6.1. I'm looking for a cam that will compliment the stroker kit. Anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for a noticeable lope.

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,358 Posts
It's best to talk to a vendor. Your power goals determine the cam you need. My cam specs are, 227/233 607/607 116LSA. It is a mild cam that lopes but not aggressively. Here is what it sounds like, note the lope at the end of the video:

Things I considered were:
  1. RWHP/TQ I wanted to make
  2. Supercharging (LSA impacts supercharging)
  3. Wife (she didn't want a real heavy lope; given we use the car as a cruiser for trips)
Here is what my sons 426 Magnum sounded like with a blower cam, his cam is a little more aggressive then mine, I don't have the specs on the cam:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Are you actually looking for results or just lope?

Reactions: wvhemis

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
Are you actually looking for results or just lope?
Good Question...goes back to the day when many of us over cammed our street engines...IMO this makes or breaks a build....

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Yep lol back in the early 80s guys would have to put their cars in neutral at lights so they wouldn't die. No one bought a converter.
The reason I asked if he wanted it to work, was because I have found most of these guys only build 426 engines because they think the number 426 sounds cool.

Reactions: wvhemis

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
Yep lol back in the early 80s guys would have to put their cars in neutral at lights so they wouldn't die. No one bought a converter.
The reason I asked if he wanted it to work, was because I have found most of these guys only build 426 engines because they think the number 426 sounds cool.
I am sorry but I would have to agree.... I would love to have 426 Hemi on my shaker

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,358 Posts
It does sound cool!! lol It is also nostalgic for us older guys. But Phil brings up a good point. Out of simple curiosity is it lope for lope sake or do you have specific goals in mind?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
If you want a cam that works? Erik Storms who is working on my car has cams custom ground for sale.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses! Here is the thing.... I am not changing the heads. (That will be my next upgrade next tax season) I am looking for a cam with results but with the ability to handle a head upgrade. I am looking for hp/tq gains but its also a nostalgia thing. I grew up around Mopar small block 340s and big block 440s. My father had a 71 Challenger with a performance 340 in it that we would go cruising in and racing every now and then. He also had a 70 Dart Swinger with a SC 340 with a 100shot Nos bottle. Ill post some pics later. A good street/strip cam is what I am looking for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im stroking my engine to 426 because its a lot easier to find 426 Hemi decals to replace my 6.1L Hemi decals. lol jk

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Lol you need to get some different stickers made. Here is what my cam sounds like and it performs. This is a 6.0 5.7 based stroker. James Russi in Houston could hook you up with engine work and erik storms can have you a cam ground.

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,358 Posts
Lol you need to get some different stickers made. Here is what my cam sounds like and it performs. This is a 6.0 5.7 based stroker. James Russi in Houston could hook you up with engine work and erik storms can have you a cam ground.

OK I'm in love. How much power you expecting to get out of that beast?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found this on the Youtubes. I am digging this cam. Anyone familiar with Interia Motorsports?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
OK I'm in love. How much power you expecting to get out of that beast?
To be honest I don't know. It's pretty stout with 14.1 compression, head work, cam etc. I may have to slow the car down, I am looking at running a 10.5 class and I don't think it will be fast enough for the 9.5 class.

Reactions: climberccm

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Found this on the Youtubes. I am digging this cam. Anyone familiar with Interia Motorsports?
A]
There are better choices out there now, that was a choice 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Their prices sure don't reflect that.
If you are basing choices on price just buy a stock cam for 80.00. 500.00 for a inertia cam that does very little or 7-800.00 for one that works for your application is a no brainier for me.
If people just want lope unplug a coil Pak.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As Phil mentioned, I would contact Erik Storm at BFNY performance. He will get you a custom ground cam that actually works for you application.
Is this going to be a n/a motor or forced induction motor ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts