Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to start my first mods on my new RT. Perhaps a CAI and a catback exhaust to start. Is it more beneficial to go with the OEM parts vs the aftermarket? Thanks :smileup:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Get an oil catch can first. One of the best preventive maintenance mods you can do.

I would go with a cat back exhaust first. Since you have an auto you will have to really research to find out what systems won't give you the dreaded drone inside the cabin. Corsa has no drone technology but you will be paying a pretty penny for their system. Solo Mach X is about 400 bucks cheaper and has little to no drone and sounds really nice.

There is no consensus on CAIs. I think all would agree that there is some benefit to them, but to what degree is the huge debate. The manufacturer claims of 15-20 HP are just that, claims. Unless you are going for eye candy, I would say save the money and get a free flowing drop in filter by K&N or AFE use the money you saved towards a good cat back system or some other mod like the oil catch can.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,675 Posts
Get an oil catch can first. One of the best preventive maintenance mods you can do.
I agree with you about the usefulness of the catch can, but the OP has an R/T Plus, which means that he has that annoying resonator chamber coming off his OEM air tube. The resonator box is bolted to the same mount point where most Challenger owners mount their catch cans. Unless ChefJohnny73 goes with a fender mount or a z-bracket option, it would be best for him to get the CAI and catch can at the same time.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hemi-
I didn't think about the bracket mounting for the catch can. Good call on that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the AFE stage 2 CAI , Corsa extreme catback, and Diablo tuner, all of which I found used but like new condition here on the forum, saved big $ , I also first purchased a cheapy oil catch can from ebay but didn't thiunk it was really doing the job well so I recently purchased a new Speedlogix unit, nice piece and works good. These are all easy mods that as a whole do make a difference.

·
Premium Member
18,439 Posts
I agree with you about the usefulness of the catch can, but the OP has an R/T Plus, which means that he has that annoying resonator chamber coming off his OEM air tube. The resonator box is bolted to the same mount point where most Challenger owners mount their catch cans. Unless ChefJohnny73 goes with a fender mount or a z-bracket option, it would be best for him to get the CAI and catch can at the same time.
That was the main reason I bought a CAI along with the eye candy factor. I went with a Roto- Fab CAI because it seals well and draws air from the same location as the stock intake and a Moroso catch can because of the drain valve.I've been satisfied with both for almost 4 years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I decided to go with the Corsa Extreme cat back system and the mopar CAI. I ordered the Corsa Exhaust from Auto Anything and they were very helpful. I picked up the Mopar CAI on EBay for a great price. Is there a specific oil catch can I should be looking for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try to get yourself a copy of the Spring 2014 "Mopar Now" magazine. They did an all out dyno tested comparo on CAI's for the 5.7L Hemi. They compare Airaid, BBK, JLT Performance, Mopar, Spectre, & Trick-flow.
Results:
Spectre most bang for buck,
Mopar most average HP gain (over 14 HP!) and best finish,
JLT for most peak HP gain (about 15 hp).
The comparo is well done and not overly technical to the point where laymen like me can't understand the lingo. You can get a copy on eBay. I bought my 2010 R/T used with only 9K miles and it came with the after-marked Mopar unit that appears in the magazine test. I'm happy with it. I drove a friend's stock 2010 R/T (same equipment) and I can actually feel the power difference. I think it's notable that a magazine that specializes in modern Mopars didn't even bother to include the K&N in the test. I put a K&N CAI on my 2002 Dakota R/T 5.9 and felt nothing at all.

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
CAI dyno results tend to run from 3-11 HP, some of the best results that I've seen are from the LMI true CAI.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I always believed that power increases from CAIs are nominal at best - about a gain of 5 hp. I'm a bit surprised that some sources are stating increases of 15 hp. I have a Mopar CAI in my car and I installed it as much for appearances sake than for a power increase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree... I was totally surprised to see the numbers in that magazine. Maybe try driving yours then immediately driving a totally stock one like I did. You might be surprised at the difference.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
CAI dyno results tend to run from 3-11 HP, some of the best results that I've seen are from the LMI true CAI.
^ X2 .

LMI CAI is the way to go. A bit pricey though. Otherways go with a K&N panel filter in the stock air box if you want to save $. IMO, most other CAI's aren't worth the money for the little extra flow they provide.

:3-smoke:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts