Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any bracket racers in the house? :Racing: Like to get some feedback on racing a RT vs SRT Challanger in bracket events? Given that the cars will have an auto trans, posi, and stickey dot tires. Thanks.. :beerchug:

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Any bracket racers in the house? :Racing: Like to get some feedback on racing a RT vs SRT Challanger in bracket events? Given that the cars will have an auto trans, posi, and stickey dot tires. Thanks.. :beerchug:
Yes , But its Bracket racing not racing so much the car in the other lane but consistency and your car , you worry about whats in the other lane you will probably be losing.

·
13,007 Posts
I never do it, too many sandbaggers at my track.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes , But its Bracket racing not racing so much the car in the other lane but consistency and your car , you worry about whats in the other lane you will probably be losing.
I find bracket racing a test of the drivers skill to cut a light and run on the number. I do size up teh car in the other lane and decide on my strategy for that elimination round.

I never do it, too many sandbaggers at my track.
Lot of ways to deal with sandbaggers. I've been known to hold a ton at times. Its all part of the game.

·
13,007 Posts
Lot of ways to deal with sandbaggers. I've been known to hold a ton at times. Its all part of the game.
Its not just the sandbagging, traction is always an issue, a lot of these guys are pros at it, these guys are cutting .05 reaction times or lower on a regular basis which is tough for a guy like me to compete against, if you can't hit those numbers your lost, to me drag racing is a blood and guts type of thing , I like to finish the race with my foot on the gas petal floored, not on the brake I don't care if i win or lose.
I think you will find out that most of us here are Test &Tune racers, very few bracket racers. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you are asking which is the better bracket car, I'd have to say the R/T. The SRT's can spin too easily, especially if the burnout is not done correctly, and seem to be more susceptible to heat soak. I believe an R/T will be more consistant, on a round by round basis than an SRT.

Whichever you end up with will be just fine though. Good luck when you get one! And let us know your results. :smileup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Its not just the sandbagging, traction is always an issue, a lot of these guys are pros at it, these guys are cutting .05 reaction times or lower on a regular basis which is tough for a guy like me to compete against, if you can't hit those numbers your lost, to me drag racing is a blood and guts type of thing , I like to finish the race with my foot on the gas petal floored, not on the brake I don't care if i win or lose.
I think you will find out that most of us here are Test &Tune racers, very few bracket racers. Just my opinion.
I started bracket racing late in life back in 2000. Got a "life lesson" running Pro at ATCO in 2004. Held my own and got a "degree" from McNasby U Class of 2005. No flames but would be willing to help you if you want. Well I stlll have mental issues going against Big Bucks Bob. I think I'm like 0 an 10 against that guy. There is no place harder to bracket race than NHRA DIV 1. That is Island, Atco, Maple Grove, Englistown, and Cecil. If you can hold your own there then you can hold your own at any $10k or $20k event in the country.

If you are asking which is the better bracket car, I'd have to say the R/T. The SRT's can spin too easily, especially if the burnout is not done correctly, and seem to be more susceptible to heat soak. I believe an R/T will be more consistant, on a round by round basis than an SRT.

Whichever you end up with will be just fine though. Good luck when you get one! And let us know your results. :smileup:

Well that is great advice. I got rid of my 07 Mustang GT which would hook on spit. Great 14 second bracket car. I have a 12 second Firebired Formula (talk about heat soak and I've done a lot to cure that problem) and a 10.0 93 Corvette. Formula and Corvette are bracket only cars.

I'm looking to replace the stang for a "street" class dependable tool and a nice daily driver. I hate taking my Chevy 3/4 ton crew cab to the store. lol

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I've bracket raced my RT a couple of times at the local 1/8 mile track. I would agree an RT might be a little better but I think either one would work well.

I won my the street class with my car once, but the track regulars were gone to another track that weekend.. As far as complaining about people sandbagging, that's part of the game. Want to beat sandbaggers, cut a good light and run a good time, then they will break out. As far as complaining about people cutting a good light, that's kind of like a pitcher in baseball complaining about someone hitting a home run. If you don't like being beaten, stay home. Good reaction times are important bracket racing or heads up. The problem with heads up racing it comes down to the person with more money. He is almost always going to have a faster car.

The track I race at is pretty small time. There will be a few big dogs there, but not a lot of them running street class. When I won the street class, it was only something like $75.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bracket racing

can be fun for the whole family
Kilo1 is right dont worry bout the person in the other lane
work on your reaction time im guessing your running in the no-electronics class get as consistent as possible at staging your ride I myself turn on the top pre-stage bulb then just pump the breaks (bump the car in every so slightly) turning on the bottom bulb but it comes down to what your comfortable with to cut a good light or reaction time if you will 9 times out of 10 bracket races are won on the starting line.
get a weather station theres all kinds record every run and the weather when the run is complete it wont be long till you know what times your car will run you will notice hot humid days car slows down cool nights car goes faster theres all kinds of factors air density, elevation, sea level, but it all comes down to reaction time and consistency
remember be safe have fun
Mopar R No Car

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had to buy into this one. Got a double entry for Saturday and Sunday. Its a 1200 mile road trip so I hope they give something for the longest distance award. lol. Its my old "home" track. Running Super Pro (electronics) and Pro (no box) classes. That way I hope to be on both sides of the ladder. I will be foot breaking my firebird in both classes.

http://www.maplegroveraceway.com/blog/?page_id=11152

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.